PDA

View Full Version : All Things GoPro

tgoody14
06-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Seems to be quite a few of us these days using GoPros! Figure we might need a separate thread to discuss all things GoPro:

Settings, Angles, Views, Mounts, Preferences and Opinions...

Of course Pics and Vids are always welcome.

My usual set up:
GoPro Hero3 Black Edition
64 GB SanDisk Extreme Plus
4 Batteries
1080p at 60 FPS. I like Medium view because it's the closest to actually being there as opposed to Wide view extending the peripherals (fish-eye)...

What settings do you guys find works best for you out on the boat/board/lake in general?

KG's Supra24
06-19-2014, 12:30 PM
What is the best way to get in touch with go-pro? Mine arrived with a malfunction, emailed support Monday and still no response. Frustrated.

kevkev
06-19-2014, 12:30 PM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron

Saw a video for this the other day. I think it would be awesome to try while wakeboarding or surfing, but I'm not dropping that kind of coin on one.

tgoody14
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
What is the best way to get in touch with go-pro? Mine arrived with a malfunction, emailed support Monday and still no response. Frustrated.

If you bought it at a store you should be able to swap it out no questions asked, but I'm assuming you got it online. I hate email, so much gets tossed into "Junk" when dealing with companies. I usually just call and keep hitting 0 until it redirects me to an actual person to talk to!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron

Saw a video for this the other day. I think it would be awesome to try while wakeboarding or surfing, but I'm not dropping that kind of coin on one.

That is absolutely nuts!!! Would be pretty cool tho. My buddy has one of those remote control drones that he mounts his GoPro to and he gets some pretty amazing footage!

slipperyrockTKE300
06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Ya know....not a bad idea.

BUT - not only could there be a thread dedicated.....maybe our hard working Moderators might consider creating a separate forum dedicated to watersports photography, video making and related equipment.

just a thought.

tgoody14
06-19-2014, 12:55 PM

I did a quick search on another forum "GoPro Fanatics" and I don't know if this is what you did but they say go to GoPro website, support tab, then fill out a contact form with a description, then they email you from there...

KG's Supra24
06-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I did a quick search on another forum "GoPro Fanatics" and I don't know if this is what you did but they say go to GoPro website, support tab, then fill out a contact form with a description, then they email you from there...

Yep .... "our goal is to respond to you within 2 days" is what I received back. I emailed first thing Monday morning.

On hold now. I'm down to 5 callers in front of me!! Been on hold for just over 10 minutes.

I'm really hoping they let me take it to a dealer and swap it out. I did buy it online direct.

KG's Supra24
06-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Got through ... they pulled my email out of the qeue and up to the front. No swaps at local dealers if purchased through gopro. Only option for immediate turn around is to buy a new one locally and return the broken one for refund.

tgoody14
06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Got through ... they pulled my email out of the qeue and up to the front. No swaps at local dealers if purchased through gopro. Only option for immediate turn around is to buy a new one locally and return the broken one for refund.

They didn't suggest that did they!?!? lol

Ya know....not a bad idea.

BUT - not only could there be a thread dedicated.....maybe our hard working Moderators might consider creating a separate forum dedicated to watersports photography, video making and related equipment.

just a thought.

Sounds like a helluva plan! Haha

KG's Supra24
06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
No, that was my suggestion. I'm impatient.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
You could also try something a bit shadier -- not that I have done it mind you.... :)

Go buy the same unit locally and keep all the packaging real nice when you open it. Use the good one from the local retailer and substitute the broken one in the package and return to the local retailer. Tell them its broken and return it for your money back, everyone is happy!! Retailer is just going to send it back to the manufacturer for credit/replacement anyway, so no harm no foul...

Sorry........just realized tgoody had the exact same suggestion

KG's Supra24
06-19-2014, 01:50 PM
hmmmm ......

sandm
06-19-2014, 03:42 PM
You could also try something a bit shadier -- not that I have done it mind you.... :)

Go buy the same unit locally and keep all the packaging real nice when you open it. Use the good one from the local retailer and substitute the broken one in the package and return to the local retailer. Tell them its broken and return it for your money back, everyone is happy!! Retailer is just going to send it back to the manufacturer for credit/replacement anyway, so no harm no foul...

Sorry........just realized tgoody had the exact same suggestion

as a retail manager in a distribution center that deals with customer returns to the tune of 24m/yr, this idea burns in my stomach....
and people wonder why return policies get harder and stores have to charge more to sell goods. keep in mind that said retailer might not be getting any refund from go pro on said product..

now if you go to walmart to do said return, you would make me giddy :)

ok, off soapbox..

tgoody14
06-19-2014, 03:56 PM
now if you go to walmart to do said return, you would make me giddy :)

LOL 👆👀

And just for the record, KG is the sole mastermind of that idea!!! Not saying that his exact plan didn't cross my mind tho... 😜

tgoody14
06-23-2014, 09:07 AM
What settings do you guys find works best for you out on the boat/board/lake in general?

Soooo back to the original question... Haha

wolfeman131
06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

these drones are cool for under $500, but I'm not sure I can fly it while also driving the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/dp/B00AGOSQI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403544672&sr=8-1&keywords=go+pro+drone

slipperyrockTKE300
06-23-2014, 02:57 PM
a few of the college libraries in central florida now have drones available for check out.

Must get training and sign a waiver - if you break it, you bought it.

Cigars n scotch
06-23-2014, 03:00 PM
There was an interesting piece on 60 mins last night concerning "drones".

There's a few posts on WW where people are using those DJI quadcopters to film while boarding.

saskyrider
06-23-2014, 04:26 PM
I used to be pretty into r/c planes and helicopters.. And I own a quadcopter as well... they are advancing so quickly as the ag market is getting heavy Into them for crop scouting with hi res cameras... they are pretty stable and lots cone with a "rescue" button if you lose orientation.. pretty cool tp see

Sent from my apple crushin android device

wolfeman131
06-23-2014, 09:54 PM
The guy that had the copter I was talking to said one challenge was the rescue feature returned it to a fixed location (ie where you are standing) but didn't work if you were moving (ie in the boat). So, you have to fly the copter back to the boat before it goes in the lake and land or catch it without losing a finger.

saskyrider
06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
very true... never thought of that Drew. I find them pretty easy to fly compared to planes and choppers so i would just manual fly it back to me but those DJI quadcopters are a decent size and i wouldn't try to catch it with my hand.... if its calm out i would be ok landing it on the sun pad though. Id be pretty nervous about flying it over water... one bad battery or a glitch and plink....

tripler4
06-30-2014, 05:41 PM
ok I have a question about editing your video of the gopro. I have tried a couple of different programs with not much luck. What do you use or recommend to cut out all the turning around and bs that happens when someone falls, it would be nice to have a nice smooth video of someone riding or surfing?

jester
06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
or catch it without losing a finger.

Now that is motivation to catch it right the first time. Remember rule number 12 no missing body parts in the boat but that should be assumed with rule number 5 no blood in the boat.

jester
06-30-2014, 06:15 PM
ok I have a question about editing your video of the gopro. I have tried a couple of different programs with not much luck. What do you use or recommend to cut out all the turning around and bs that happens when someone falls, it would be nice to have a nice smooth video of someone riding or surfing?

It really depends on how much you want to spend on video editing software. When I was doing video editing I use to use Adobe Premiere pro. Now this is expensive. I have heard of people using Power Director from CyberLink or Sonys Movie Studio 13. There are a lot of software out there and it really comes into personal preference.

tgoody14
06-30-2014, 06:42 PM

You can download the GoPro Studio software for free off the website. It's pretty basic but it does everything I've needed so far. Slow down, reverse, speed up, add music, adjust coloring, etc...

rdlangston13
06-30-2014, 09:19 PM
So I just found out that everyone on my ship who was involved in the South Korea project is getting a hero 3 black. Score.

Sent from my iPhone

csm
07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Just got a GoPro, and haven't even used it yet, but trying to be prepared....

I'm planning on using 1080/60fps for video. Now for action photos, are you guys just taking screenshots from video clips? Or are you taking pictures using burst mode?

mmandley
07-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Just got a GoPro, and haven't even used it yet, but trying to be prepared....

I'm planning on using 1080/60fps for video. Now for action photos, are you guys just taking screenshots from video clips? Or are you taking pictures using burst mode?

We set it to delay and it just takes pictures, every 2 seconds. Then I go through and pic the ones I want. Also for In boat we set to take a picture when you press the button like a traditional camera.

I suggest buying a big memory card. Also buy an extra charging cable to charge it on the boat.

parrothd
07-10-2014, 07:10 PM
+2 for the large sdcard, I picked up a 64gig. I video all our sets and then dump them to youtube. Works great with Chromecast..

rdlangston13
07-10-2014, 07:48 PM
I have a 16 gig card for my hero 2 and was looking at a 32gig for my 3, I've never filled up my 16 and can't really imagine filling up a 32. How close do you come to filling up your 64??

Sent from my iPhone

parrothd
07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Not even close, probably 8-16gigs for the day.. Usually the battery dies @8ish, I just bought a second battery..

rdlangston13
07-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Not even close, probably 8-16gigs for the day.. Usually the battery dies @8ish, I just bought a second battery..

Ok well I just bought the 64 gig scan disk extreme plus

mmandley
07-10-2014, 09:15 PM
We use really large Memory cards because when we go for weekends we need the space.

tgoody14
07-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Ok well I just bought the 64 gig scan disk extreme plus

I have this exact card. I've spent a whole week filming before dumping it and still had plenty of space.

tgoody14
07-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm planning on using 1080/60fps for video.

1080/60 is super sweet setting that handles almost everything. My favorite, but I just realized through my past 2 videos I made that when I used 720/120 the slow motion is seamless with no jerks... In 1080/60 when you try to slow down too much, the final export of the video has a jitter between frames and sometimes rolls back a few frames... I filmed the Texas Jam in 1080/60, but on some of the slow-mo shots there's big jerks in it because I slowed it down more than the 60fps could handle...

In short, (for me) I'll most likely use 720/120 from now on for action shots, then back to 1080/60 for everything else

This is a great example. Here's a 720/120 fps video with no skips/jerks between slow-mo and real time:

http://youtu.be/3zjS045nX2g

KG's Supra24
07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Update: Took the high road and returned for repair thru the gopro process ....

"Unfortunately we aren't able to expedite the shipping .... but rather because we are backordered on the HERO3+ Black Edition replacement cameras .... As soon as they become available you will be shipped your replacement."

..... and it was a poor decision. Should be a simple refund now.

Lesson Learned ... Buy gopro locally.

tgoody14
07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Update: Took the high road and returned for repair thru the gopro process ....

"Unfortunately we aren't able to expedite the shipping .... but rather because we are backordered on the HERO3+ Black Edition replacement cameras .... As soon as they become available you will be shipped your replacement."

..... and it was a poor decision. Should be a simple refund now.

Lesson Learned ... Buy gopro locally.

Mannnnn Debbie Downer..... Sad face....

I also hate hearing this because I just cashed in most of my credit card points for a free GoPro Hero3+ BE in hopes to get it in time for our annual Gulf Shores trip at the end of the month!

tgoody14
07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Anybody do Time Lapse!?!?

We're headed out to Gulf Shores in the morning and I'm hoping to catch a sunset/sunrise across the beach, but I don't know what settings to run that works best for Time Lapse photos...

Anybody!?

rdlangston13
07-24-2014, 02:26 PM
I've used like a picture ever 10 seconds before but I'm not sure if there is a faster way

Sent from my iPhone

tgoody14
07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I've used like a picture ever 10 seconds before but I'm not sure if there is a faster way

Sent from my iPhone

Yea I've only done it once and I took 1 pic every minute, but it didn't turn out very good.

I'll probably do 1 every 30secs this time, but I'm really wondering which is the best resolution and view

JGP54321
07-24-2014, 04:42 PM
I've used time lapse but only using video. At the end of this video I did it for the sunset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XLZOXw9Cd4

Pretty sure it was filmed in 720p at 120fps. Uploaded it to iMovie and sped it up to make the time lapse

trayson
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I have been a long time supporter of Contour action cams, and was running a contour GPS. I finally got sick of its unreliability and am returning it to REI and I got a gopro 3+ black edition. My contour would periodically save corrupt files, and would also have times where it wouldn't start of stop a recording leading to not getting anything captured. An unreliable cam is almost worthless in my book.

The 3+ Black edition comes with the waterproof wifi remote control. I have to say that the remote is completely awesome. It's super easy to mount the gopro at the rear corner of the boat and control it from the drivers seat. You get an LCD display that shows you everything you'd see on the LCD of the camera. and you can change any of the settings on the cam with the remote. The remote runs $60 if bought seperately. And there's a $100 premium between the silver and the black.

That said, the black also has the ability to do higher framerates as well as the new "superview".

So, the sensor on the gopro will capture video in a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you're filming in 16:9 widescreen, the camera is literally chopping off the top and bottom of the picture to make the widescreen recording. you can also record in 4:3 and fully utilize the sensor, but then you get vertical bars when you watch it on a widescreen TV or monitor (like we pretty much all have these days). So what gopro did is offered up a "superview" on the 3+ black. it gives you the full height of the image and it leaves the center of the image in tact, but takes the left and right edges and stretches them to turn the 4:3 into a 16:9. basically the parts of the image that are on the outside aren't all that important and you're already used to having a little bit of a fisheye effect from a gopro anyway.

The advantage of superview is when you are shooting somewhat close to the subject (like camera mounted on a board, or maybe even filming wakesurfing) where it would chop off the head or feet if captured in widescreen. with superview, you get that full height of your recording but it makes it so you still fill the 16:9 frame. Obviously, this is something you can do with video editing, but gopro gave it to us as a setting we can choose.

I'll admit that I'm super lazy and just puke my vids up onto youtube without editing, so I like this feature.

As far as the remote, some might say that you can just use the app. The app is awesome for giving a video preview of what you'll be seeing. I started yesterday with the remote for the first few sets. Then I actually connected the app and realized that I had my cam tilted to far to the side and my videos were shot at about 15 to 20 degrees off a level horizon. Oops. But the app does seem to suck more battery and tends to lose wifi connection more often. Also, it requires you to be pressing all the stuff on the phone. I know my phone goes into sleep mode and I don't want to be swiping to unlock it to start/stop videos. I do have a car dock that I use in my boat, but I still find the simplicity of the remote best.

I was also super stoked to see that the gopro has LED's on the front and back to let you know if it's recording. As a rider, I could tell and sitting in the back of the boat I could tell.

I use a cheap ebay mount that clamps onto my rear railing. It seems to work fine.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/UfEAAMXQEgpTBvDf/$_57.JPG

Woody929
07-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Mine is on the mail truck now to be delivered today. Christmas in July!

trayson
07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Here's an example of a video shot with 720p Superview at 100 FPS. The camera should have been a little bit more upright. I thought that I'd be listing more, but I wasn't. obviously, the horizon is crooked. I was running with the remote control only and hadn't checked the image preview in the gopro App. I did that later before my 2nd set.

It was ROUGH as hell out on the water, but I hadn't had my boat out in over 3 weeks!

http://youtu.be/bdwmgOzGHmI

parrothd
07-30-2014, 01:49 PM
I find the remote/app kills the battery, even with the bacpack extender.....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-lcd-touch-bacpac/2800489.p?id=1219078776278&skuId=2800489

Usually the remote is dead after a few hours, lately I've just been using the button on the camera instead. One less thing to worry about..

trayson
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I find the remote/app kills the battery, even with the bacpack extender.....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-lcd-touch-bacpac/2800489.p?id=1219078776278&skuId=2800489

Usually the remote is dead after a few hours, lately I've just been using the button on the camera instead. One less thing to worry about..

It looks like the LCD bacpac is just a display/control and it doesn't increase battery life. (I'm sure it sucks it even more). I have seen that they make an extended battery bacpac, which would obviously increase battery life.

Yeah, since the remote and the app use wifi, they will certainly come at the expense of battery life. But I sure dig the convenience.

parrothd
07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
It looks like the LCD bacpac is just a display/control and it doesn't increase battery life. (I'm sure it sucks it even more). I have seen that they make an extended battery bacpac, which would obviously increase battery life.

Yeah, since the remote and the app use wifi, they will certainly come at the expense of battery life. But I sure dig the convenience.

huh? The bacpack is an extended battery, add about 1.5 hours...

Whoops...Wrong bacpack...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-battery-bacpac/2800452.p?id=1219077819362&skuId=2800452&st=gopro%20bacpac&cp=1&lp=1

trayson
07-30-2014, 05:02 PM
huh? The bacpack is an extended battery, add about 1.5 hours...

Whoops...Wrong bacpack...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-battery-bacpac/2800452.p?id=1219077819362&skuId=2800452&st=gopro%20bacpac&cp=1&lp=1

Now you see why I was confused. I bought a 2nd battery. I think I'll do pretty good with that. I also have portable charging bricks that I can leverage.

I think that the LCD backpack is pretty much useless except MAYBE for scuba diving. Maybe.

I like my new toy.

FFEMTP933
07-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Ok GoPro "pros", I'm pretty sure my wife is getting me a GoPro for my bday next mouth. The question is which one do I want? All the spec stuff on them is over my head. Is the saying "bigger is better" ture with the GoPros, meaning get the HERO+ Black Edition and don't look back? Or would I be just as happy with one of the cheaper ones? I just plan on pictures and videos while out on the boat for now. Of course with that said I'm sure I will do more with it once I start playing with it. I have skimmed through the post but not read everyone of them, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Thanks of your advice and help in advance.

trayson
07-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Ok GoPro "pros", I'm pretty sure my wife is getting me a GoPro for my bday next mouth. The question is which one do I want? All the spec stuff on them is over my head. Is the saying "bigger is better" ture with the GoPros, meaning get the HERO+ Black Edition and don't look back? Or would I be just as happy with one of the cheaper ones? I just plan on pictures and videos while out on the boat for now. Of course with that said I'm sure I will do more with it once I start playing with it. I have skimmed through the post but not read everyone of them, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Thanks of your advice and help in advance.

I think that my post from today addresses some of your questions. See below.

The 3+ Black edition comes with the waterproof wifi remote control. I have to say that the remote is completely awesome. It's super easy to mount the gopro at the rear corner of the boat and control it from the drivers seat. You get an LCD display that shows you everything you'd see on the LCD of the camera. and you can change any of the settings on the cam with the remote. The remote runs $60 if bought seperately. And there's a $100 premium between the silver and the black.

That said, the black also has the ability to do higher framerates as well as the new "superview".

So, the sensor on the gopro will capture video in a 4:3 aspect ratio. When you're filming in 16:9 widescreen, the camera is literally chopping off the top and bottom of the picture to make the widescreen recording. you can also record in 4:3 and fully utilize the sensor, but then you get vertical bars when you watch it on a widescreen TV or monitor (like we pretty much all have these days). So what gopro did is offered up a "superview" on the 3+ black. it gives you the full height of the image and it leaves the center of the image in tact, but takes the left and right edges and stretches them to turn the 4:3 into a 16:9. basically the parts of the image that are on the outside aren't all that important and you're already used to having a little bit of a fisheye effect from a gopro anyway.

The advantage of superview is when you are shooting somewhat close to the subject (like camera mounted on a board, or maybe even filming wakesurfing) where it would chop off the head or feet if captured in widescreen. with superview, you get that full height of your recording but it makes it so you still fill the 16:9 frame. Obviously, this is something you can do with video editing, but gopro gave it to us as a setting we can choose.

I'll admit that I'm super lazy and just puke my vids up onto youtube without editing, so I like this feature.

As far as the remote, some might say that you can just use the app. The app is awesome for giving a video preview of what you'll be seeing. I started yesterday with the remote for the first few sets. Then I actually connected the app and realized that I had my cam tilted to far to the side and my videos were shot at about 15 to 20 degrees off a level horizon. Oops. But the app does seem to suck more battery and tends to lose wifi connection more often. Also, it requires you to be pressing all the stuff on the phone. I know my phone goes into sleep mode and I don't want to be swiping to unlock it to start/stop videos. I do have a car dock that I use in my boat, but I still find the simplicity of the remote best.

I was also super stoked to see that the gopro has LED's on the front and back to let you know if it's recording. As a rider, I could tell and sitting in the back of the boat I could tell.

The price difference between the 3+ silver and 3+ black is $100.

The cost of the wifi remote is $60 if you buy that seperately. The 3+ black has a couple different shooting modes that I'm a fan of since I like shooting boardsports where how much image you can get vertically might be important.

So I went with the 3+ black. I figure they are gonna keep getting better and I might as well get the best so tech won't leave it in the dust quite as quick.

I really like the remote control for reasons outlined above. I think it's worth it in a boating environment so you can mount the gopro and still operate it remotely.

Basically if the extra $60 to $100 is a big deal, then you could get by with the 3+ silver and use the gopro App and only be missing the superview recording mode.

I'm happy with my 3+ black.

bergermaister
07-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Do the new 3+ remotes work underwater? Maybe a dumb question. I recently discovered my Gen1 and remote wifi connection doesn't seem to like being submerged...

trayson
07-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Do the new 3+ remotes work underwater? Maybe a dumb question. I recently discovered my Gen1 and remote wifi connection doesn't seem to like being submerged...

The remotes are waterproof, but correct, wifi just ain't happening underwater. There's only so much they could do on that!

The 3+ wifi is supposedly greatly improved though, but underwater you're looking at using the buttons on the cam.

tgoody14
08-02-2014, 11:49 AM
We just got back from our Annual Gulf Shores Trip with my college boys from back home. We are sometimes a little much to handle considering we're usually rolling at least 15 deep...

For best quality, click the gear icon at the bottom right and select 1080p HD!
GoPro The Gulf - Beachin'
http://youtu.be/3kL5qfwVe1A

mikenehrkorn
08-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Very nice -- how long does it take to edit something like that?

tgoody14
08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Honestly, a couple days of about 5 hours each day for this video. I had 4 days worth of footage tho. I'm a bit of a perfectionists tho, so i play with the colors, slow-mo, timings with music, etc. until it flows nicely... The hardest, longest, most tedious part is going through hours and hours of footage just to pick out pieces to edit for the video!

On the other hand, I've thrown a video together as quick as 2 hours if there wasn't much footage to go thru and the scenery was always the same (no need for color correcting)

I'm addicted tho and really enjoy making these videos, especially for my friends to see! Then their feedback makes me want to make the next one even better.

I have some more GoPro Videos on my YouTube page if you get bored...

tgoody14
08-05-2014, 08:44 AM
I have about 8 videos that I've edited and am trying to play on my PS3, but I'm getting an error "unsupported file"

I've done some reading and looking around and the PS3 is supposed to play the GoPro studio exports in H.264, but it doesn't...

I've tried downloading a couple converters with default PS3 export settings and they worked but I'm losing some quality when doing this, which makes it not worth the effort to watch on my 1080p HD TV.

Are there some settings I can change on the PS3 to allow the GoPro Exports to play without converting them to a different type of file?

What converters are you guys using?

Thanks in Advance

parrothd
08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Upload them to youtube then play then on the PlayStation..

tgoody14
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Upload them to youtube then play then on the PlayStation..

I do that for the videos I have uploaded, but I also have videos I don't want on the World Wide Web 😳

Like family videos, weddings, etc that I just want to have on the PS3 for playing in the living room as opposed to 10 people piling in my office to watch on a 18" computer screen.

The converter I'm currently using takes my 1.25 GB .mp4 file and turns it into a 80MB .m2ts file. Just wished the ps3 could play the original 1.25 GB so it wouldn't loose any quality 😡

KG's Supra24
08-05-2014, 11:24 AM
chromecast?

parrothd
08-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Ditto, Chromecast!

bergermaister
08-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Tgoody- great vid! I haven't done any with a bunch of edits in a long time but can feel your pain. Have spent hours, even days messing with post production before. You sit down, get hooked, look up and it's 2am - ah crap!

tgoody14
08-05-2014, 01:57 PM
chromecast?

Never even heard of that! Seems like quite the device! You guys have them, good quality on the TV?

Tgoody- great vid! I haven't done any with a bunch of edits in a long time but can feel your pain. Have spent hours, even days messing with post production before. You sit down, get hooked, look up and it's 2am - ah crap!

Thanks! And yea I get in the zone sometimes and completely lose track of time. It's great tho, best purchase I've made in years!

parrothd
08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Chromecast is awesome, 1080p and most andriod apps support it, Netflix, HBO, plex, youtube, even chrome browser on your computer.

Can even mirror your android phone to the TV with a simple click. I believe apple apps, at least the bigger ones support it as well..

I did pickup a roku streaming stick for my brother, same price, he's got an iPhone (small screen so its harder to use). It comes with a remote which is nicer for older folks.. :)

BGeorge01
08-05-2014, 08:22 PM
+1 for chromecast!! I use it from my iPhone and stream it from the computer. I have 2 of them in the house.

tgoody14
08-05-2014, 09:48 PM
So this will work from my desktop computer in another room to play on my HD tv in the living room just by plugging it in my HDMI slot!?

parrothd
08-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Computer, or phone, tablets..

BGeorge01
08-05-2014, 10:26 PM
That it does!! Chromecast app on phones/tablets and a extension on your desktop chrome browser. We use it for YouTube, Hulu+, Netflix, and different websites on the computer. It all works off of wifi. There is a tab/button on the different apps so you can "cast" it to the tv, and if you cast from your phone/tablet you can still use your phone/tablet. We cut our $100+\mo cable bill a couple months ago and it's worked awesome!

tgoody14
08-11-2014, 01:29 PM
In case you guys like deals and don't mind the 2week wait on shipping from Hong Kong... The sponsor posted this on goprofanatics so I thought I'd share here... I just put in a order so I'll let ya know!

http://www.dx.com/s/gopro

trayson
08-11-2014, 01:44 PM
So what video mode are you guys using?

I've been using 720p superview at 100 Frames per second. I have a 3+ black edition obviously.

Am I just wasting bandwidth and file size doing the 100 FPS if I'm just uploading to youtube most the time?

I like the idea of the superview because I'm using all of the vertical part of the image sensor (instead of cropping when recording in widescreen). And I prefer the stretch of the outside edges over having vertical bars. So I don't see a huge reason to change from the superview...

tgoody14
08-11-2014, 02:23 PM
1080/60 is super sweet setting that handles almost everything. My favorite, but I just realized through my past 2 videos I made that when I used 720/120 the slow motion is seamless with no jerks... In 1080/60 when you try to slow down too much, the final export of the video has a jitter between frames and sometimes rolls back a few frames... I filmed the Texas Jam in 1080/60, but on some of the slow-mo shots there's big jerks in it because I slowed it down more than the 60fps could handle...

In short, (for me) I'll most likely use 720/120 from now on for action shots, then back to 1080/60 for everything else

This is a great example. Here's a 720/120 fps video with no skips/jerks between slow-mo and real time:

http://youtu.be/3zjS045nX2g

Here's my post from awhile back...

Also, as far as YouTube goes... I filmed that GoPro The Gulf in 1440/30W with the Hero3, 4k for the time lapse shots, 1080/60M and 720/120N (feeding frenzy) with my Hero3+. I used GoPro studio and exported it in 1080/60fps/50bitrate and YouTube took it and you can watch it in 1080 on YT. I run everything I do in those settings.

Here's a chart y'all should save to your phone:

http://m.imgur.com/a/CjmC5

tgoody14
08-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I can't remember if I posted this or not but Abe from GoPro posts TONS of helpful info if you ever need reading material...
http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

trayson
08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Interesting. I've also found that I can't play my raw videos on either my laptop or my media PC without the video being jerky and the pic freezing up. I've tried playing directly off the gopro hooked up to USB and I've tried playing off the HD of my media PC as well. Both are jumpy and pretty much unwatchable using VLC media player.

Thoughts on this?

trayson
08-11-2014, 03:39 PM
I can't remember if I posted this or not but Abe from GoPro posts TONS of helpful info if you ever need reading material...
http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

Scanned it. Looks interesting. Too bad it's not updated for the handful of changes that came with the 3+ black. It'd be nice to a comprehensive article like that that includes the latest upgrades too...

tgoody14
08-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Interesting. I've also found that I can't play my raw videos on either my laptop or my media PC without the video being jerky and the pic freezing up. I've tried playing directly off the gopro hooked up to USB and I've tried playing off the HD of my media PC as well. Both are jumpy and pretty much unwatchable using VLC media player.

Thoughts on this?

My laptop can't handle the playback of the GoPro footage mainly due to the lack of processor. You really need AT LEAST 3ghrtz processor. GoPro recommends a minimum of 3.2-3.5 and better...

I bought a brand new high speed desktop specifically for photography/videos/GoPro stuff and it's super fast (3.5ghrtz) with tons of hard drive but I'm already noticing it slowing down from using up almost 300gb of hard drive space.

Also, I did see that even when my computer was brand new, VLC played my videos without any skips/chops, but Windows Media Player and QuickTime both still had a hard time sometimes.

My desktop still can't handle 4k photos in a time lapse without lowering the quality of the previews in GP Studio... The files are just too big too go in sequence really fast...

All in all... GoPro footage is extremely large in a sense of taking up space on your computer. Might be helpful to buy an external Hard drive from Walmart. This would help in freeing up space on your computer to make it run faster/better..

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvio-USB-3.0-1TB-USB-3.0-Portable-Hard-Drive/17654758

trayson
08-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Good use of the helmet with a curved surface mount. It stood up to the jumping.

http://youtu.be/VCgCbiNnli4

spyder
08-25-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a pretty good surf setup with the GoPro.. if stick the suction cup mount just to the side of the storage locker near the back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6qFrtwXHQk

i recommend attaching a string or some backup method to the gopro mount in case the suction was to fail... as it will not float.

anyone have any advice on mounting to a board without destroying the board removing the adhesive from a mount?

spyder
09-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Testing out my ghetto homemade GoPro pole.. made to float in the event of a drop...

ballast was weak so surfing kinda of sucks.. but cool to see some neat angles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtk0G6BDZc

tgoody14
09-03-2014, 12:05 PM
A little GoPro Labor Day Wknd fun! Lake time (surf and body board), Training session with the dogs, and Golf! Good times!

Click the gear box in bottom right corner to watch in 1080p HD

http://youtu.be/owJEx6rsDyc

bergermaister
09-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Loved the dog mount! Mine would probably be on the bottom of the lake if I tried that... (camera, well maybe the dog too)

tgoody14
09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Loved the dog mount! Mine would probably be on the bottom of the lake if I tried that... (camera, well maybe the dog too)

Thanks, I actually just used my chest mount. I didn't think it would work near as well as it turned out! Shady is getting older and I basically just use her to help train the younger ones. She's very laid back and it didn't bother her a bit. I strapped it down pretty snug too!!!

Birdman
09-04-2014, 12:30 AM
what kind of dogs are those not Chesapeake retriever?

tgoody14
09-04-2014, 10:07 AM
what kind of dogs are those not Chesapeake retriever?

Chocolate Lab - ducks hunts, tracks
Silver Lab - hunts all birds
Australian Shepard (he's only 1 and just likes running around) I've got no cattle for him to herd...

jmvotto
01-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Not wakesurfing,

But it's cool video. My buddies on there annual out west back country ski trip. This one I missed .:(

One of our guides in past years took Ariel video of buffalo pass in steamboat with a dji phantom 2 drone with a go pro, pretty cool insight into cat skiing .

Enjoy
http://youtu.be/s74BmVHSjJ0

trayson
01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
really cool vid. I dream about doing trips like that.

Need.more.resources.

jmvotto
01-24-2015, 11:20 AM
really cool vid. I dream about doing trips like that.

Need.more.resources.

Once you do it you'll have a hard time riding a lift again.

Really it's not that pricey. About 4 times the resort daily pass. One seat for all day in the cat which includes lunch , snacks, water, beer at the end and photos. Is about 450 plus guide tips.

MJHSupra
01-25-2015, 11:08 PM
How much vert do you get on a day?
What mountain?

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmvotto
01-26-2015, 10:57 AM
About 12,000 to 14,000 a day depending on the talents of the group.

its Buffalo pass out side of steamboat CO.

www.steamboatpowdercats.com

we have also done big bowl skiing outside of park city,

www.pcpowdercats.com more open bowls and longer runs, both are great places to BC ski.

I have a bunch of videos on my youtube channel JMVOTTO

trayson
01-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Once you do it you'll have a hard time riding a lift again.

Really it's not that pricey. About 4 times the resort daily pass. One seat for all day in the cat which includes lunch , snacks, water, beer at the end and photos. Is about 450 plus guide tips.

Still a lot when my season pass for my home resort is $500. (I did pay about $375 for 5 days at Whistler though).

I'd love to do it, just hard to justify the money.

MJHSupra
01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
jmvotto - thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Buff pass is awesome. I have a buddy who has been living north of the Boat for 15 years. I get to head out every year. About 2-3 years ago we took the sleds to the pass to rip it up on Arctic Cats w/ big hp.

Hoping for some snow at the end of Feb to get some back-country Cat action in Utah.

M-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgoody14
02-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Here's my latest GoPro video!

This is called GoPro Family Traditions (Duck Hunt)

Everything was filmed on 2 GoPro cameras and took me a full day to edit this video!

Family Traditions because every year we all get together and come home for the last week of duck season on our farm. We may miss thanksgiving and/or Christmas but we never miss the last week of season

If you watch from a computer, click the gear box at the bottom right corner of the YouTube screen and select 1080p HD for best quality

http://youtu.be/xYxnCwy4A5A

viking
02-17-2015, 10:25 PM
tgoody.......
That was fun to watch. Got some good footage and looked like a blast!

jmvotto
02-17-2015, 11:43 PM
This one is crazy if you dare watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

tgoody14
02-18-2015, 08:50 AM
tgoody.......
That was fun to watch. Got some good footage and looked like a blast!

Thanks! I'm still learning. It's very time consuming. If you check my YouTube channel, I made another decent video of our honeymoon in Miami, South Beach, and the Florida Keys. Some of the others are kinda blah haha

BrettLee3232
02-18-2015, 12:06 PM
This one is crazy if you dare watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

Made the stomach drop watching that lol

bergermaister
02-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Made the stomach drop watching that lol

No kidding! My palms were sweating, stomach churning, hands all jumpy. I think I'll stick to my desk job.

On a brighter note, just picked up a new GoPro 4 Silver today. Should be fun but I can see burning the midnight oil to edit anything as good a TGoody's stuff!

BestBuy is throwing in a 32GB UHS-3 card for free with them right now.

parrothd
02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
New snowboard helmet has gopro mount.. Gonna film all of our crashes.. :D

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/ceaee5bee3fc016218e4f5cf8d3b5a16.jpg

trayson
02-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Here's my latest GoPro video!

This is called GoPro Family Traditions (Duck Hunt)

Everything was filmed on 2 GoPro cameras and took me a full day to edit this video!

Family Traditions because every year we all get together and come home for the last week of duck season on our farm. We may miss thanksgiving and/or Christmas but we never miss the last week of season

If you watch from a computer, click the gear box at the bottom right corner of the YouTube screen and select 1080p HD for best quality

http://youtu.be/xYxnCwy4A5A

You had the boat listed pretty good at 1:10

I'm guessing that was more that factory ballast? How was the surf wave?

Loved the slow motion on the shell casing ejecting.

And those camo facemasks aren't creepy at all!

trayson
02-19-2015, 08:23 PM

I won't take my gopro snowboarding. One run through the trees or one good crash and I'd break it off the mount. too darned exposed.

I went back to a contour for snowboarding. Got a Roam2 for about $100. it's a way better profile for being on a helmet, and the on/off is way easier, especially when you can't see it and you're wearing gloves...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jRsHHyNBAXs/VOZ-QkMqhJI/AAAAAAAAYC4/ZJa6ODbMSuA/s800/Contour.jpg

jmvotto
02-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Use the helmet straps the double sided tape sucks, I ripped mine off on the trees of steamboat back country and luckily found it on the next run, still ticking just fine.

Also, I thought contour went under..

parrothd
02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
The helmet has a gopro mount built in, It's on there pretty good, we'll see what happens. I'd rather someone else was taping so I could see my falls.. Lol

trayson
02-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Also, I thought contour went under..

Contour did go into bankruptcy. They used to be headquarted a couple hours from me in Seattle. They were reorganized in 2014 and are now headquartered out of Utah with a new CEO that came from Apple.

http://business.transworld.net/148713/features/contour-re-emerges-pov-camera-market-new-ownership/

Contour and Gopro both had good products. In the early days, the audio quality on the gopro's was meh. Contour had less of a fisheye and better audio quality (when not in the wind). They also had a great profile for mounting on helmets. They had some very cool innovations too, like the Contour GPS where you could overlay speed, elevation, and a map into your videos. It was pretty cool. They also were the first to have an app for the cam, allowing you to remotely start/stop video as well as use it as a viewfinder.

Ultimately, my Contour GPS became too unreliable as it wouldn't always start and stop the videos when I wanted, leading to missed footage and corrupt files. That's when I finally gave up on my Contour GPS. Missing footage was unacceptable and completely defeated having the cam in the first place.

So I returned my unreliable contour GPS to REI and got my money back, and went out and bought a gopro 3+ black. It's an awesome cam, and I have a blast with it, but I struggled with the idea of using it snowboarding. I was also going to miss how perfectly my contour would mount in the ram air intake of my sportbike...

I wasn't excited about trying to figure out how to mount the gopro on my snowboard helmet in a way that would survive crashes and tight tree runs. So, instead of investing in this or that helmet mount for my gopro, I just went out and bought a contour roam2 on closeout for $100. The top switch couldn't be simpler. Slide the huge glove friendly switch forward and the unit powers up and starts recording. Slide the switch back and the cam stops recording and powers off. Simple and effective.

So, for me, when choosing whether I'd be best off with Contour or GoPro, the answer was "yes". I have one of each. They both have their strengths, so I just pick my preferred cam for the activity.

Oh, and my opinion on why contour went under was because gopro out marketed them, and they snagged the market share early and became unstoppable. They just got more and more momentum and won. Kind of like Apple--they had a good solid product, marketed the hell out of it, got market share, and now are unstoppable.

bergermaister
02-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Tgoody - @A 1:38 - sure looks like a hen.... :confused:

Funny how Bandit is getting the jump on you almost before getting a shot off. I remember those days. Dog had a more itchy trigger finger than we did.

jmvotto
02-20-2015, 10:16 AM
yeah I would agree the contour product was a good one and the profile was much better for action sports with helmets.

I have used the chest mount for the gopro while tree skiing as well. different angle and not as much movement from the head bobs. you may give it a try

tgoody14
02-22-2015, 10:43 AM
You had the boat listed pretty good at 1:10

I'm guessing that was more that factory ballast? How was the surf wave?

Loved the slow motion on the shell casing ejecting.

And those camo facemasks aren't creepy at all!

Had to get the front end high enough to get up on the ice, which was putting the ole 20hp mercury to the test lol

Duck Dynasty has beards, We have Masks lol

Tgoody - @A 1:38 - sure looks like a hen.... :confused:

Funny how Bandit is getting the jump on you almost before getting a shot off. I remember those days. Dog had a more itchy trigger finger than we did.

Yea guess we're overpopulated these days in AR. You can kill 4 mallards, 2 being hens! And yes Bandit is quick off the platform when the guns go 💥BOOM! But he also hates when we miss and he jumps in for no reason so he sometimes brings a decoy back just to piss us off lol

wolfeman131
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM
I sure like that dog!

viking
02-22-2015, 01:17 PM
And yes Bandit is quick off the platform when the guns go 💥BOOM! But he also hates when we miss and he jumps in for no reason so he sometimes brings a decoy back just to piss us off lol

That's awesome!!

uniwarking
07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Hey guys, I've been reading this and other threads trying to get some insight on settings, mounts,mount location, etc. I just picked up a Hero4 Silver last week, along with a 64 GB card and a few accessories (including the floaty back door and handlebar mount).

I recorded some wake surfing over the weekend mounted on the grab rail using 1080p 60fps Superview with Protune. Video seemed pretty decent but I'm wondering if there isn't a better setting to run at. Also, how do you avoid water droplets and spots?! I've read some about using rainX or saliva.

I recorded a video of my son and his friends on the tube as well, mounted on the tower (anchor light post). Vid was cool for wide shot but it would have been nice to see them up closer.

I also recorded a few golf swings, as I thought that might be fun to look at in slow motion.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm new to GoPro and GoPro Studio. It's pretty trippy watching yourself on video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
07-06-2015, 02:16 PM
I got pretty used to using 720p superview on my GoPro 3+ Black (I think that was the best compromise between resolution and frame rate). So I just kept using that when I upgraded to the 4 silver.

One day I did find by accident a video + photo mode that was actually kind of cool. It takes your video, but also saves a JPG every 5 seconds, so you not only get your video but you get a bunch of stills without having to screen capture. I haven't used it much like that because it does clutter up your card, but it's nice to know you have it.

I like burst photo mode too (using the remote control). I am not a fan of the app. just one more thing your phone has to do. I love the remote (it's great for getting shots using the telescoping pole mount) and it makes it so ANYONE can control the starting and stopping of the video. With burst mode, I'll usually get 1 or 2 really cool shots from a surf session. and really, isn't that what we're really looking for? Just a cool shot or two? Video gets old after a while. I mean, yeah, I can get out and rip it up on a surfboard, but really if I'm not adding some crazy new trick or something, it's honestly more of the same.

uniwarking
07-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Any advice on avoiding water droplets and spots?

trayson
07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Any advice on avoiding water droplets and spots?

Rain-X?
Some people use spit.

uniwarking
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Those are the two options I'd read about, hoping some of you guys have some experience with both and some ideas!