PDA

View Full Version : Prop Grease

J-ROD
06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Last weekend I hit a nice little hidden island in the middle of the marina. Awesome! So pulling off the prop was a joke but got it off to get fixed. I was thinking about putting on some type of grease before I reinstall the prop this weekend. Anybody do this and if so what grease do you recommend? Like always, thank ya!

REDFIVE48
06-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Last weekend I hit a nice little hidden island in the middle of the marina. Awesome! So pulling off the prop was a joke but got it off to get fixed. I was thinking about putting on some type of grease before I reinstall the prop this weekend. Anybody do this and if so what grease do you recommend? Like always, thank ya!

Believe you are supposed to grease the prop when reinstalling, I have done everytime I changed props. I think I just use the same grease I have for my garage door opener, white lithium grease in the squeeze tube.

J-ROD
06-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll do that before I put it back on.

wolfeman131
06-16-2014, 08:04 PM
You shouldn't use any grease or anti-seize when installing a prop.

http://youtu.be/T8yjk8iq3cA

yz 2smoke
06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Just heat the hub of the prop up next time and it will fall right off with a light tap. Make sure you keep the nut on the last few threads so the prop doesn't hit the ground. I bought a prop pull and beat the hell out of it then I heated it with a torch and it came off with just a tap. I won't say how many days it took for me to finally decide to heat it up. I did get the idea from this forum though.

mmandley
06-17-2014, 11:16 AM
I have found the first time I removed the prop it was a pain. Each time since it's easier and easier.

I only clean the shaft and prop with a towel. Reinstall.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
"You shouldn't use any grease or anti-seize when installing a prop."

Not what my trusted Moomba dealer told me (dealer who used to service the boats for Skiers Choice's Team Athletes).

He even supplied me with grease and an application brush.

Go ahead and add a little waterproof grease to the inside of the prop. It will pop off a little easier.

Especially if you change props frequently to meet the demand of the activity you are doing for the day.