PDA

View Full Version : Protection from beaching

Jrichard1987
06-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Hey does anyone know of any way to protect my hull from scratchs when beaching? I'm not running it into shore I gently pull it up only did it once and already found scratches. It's mostly sand with small pebbles. If not any good anchoring products and techniques for a little ways out???

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

zabooda
06-13-2014, 01:11 AM
The Anchor Buddy (bungee cord) device will keep your boat off the shore.

motosno963
06-13-2014, 02:01 AM
i have been thinking about that as well..
http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

slipperyrockTKE300
06-13-2014, 05:31 AM
years ago someone created a thread about a strip of plastic that was easily applied to the bottom of the boat to protect the hull.

smitty75
06-13-2014, 06:41 AM
I use the box/slide anchor, just drop it when you're in about 10' of water and tie to the front of the boat. Spin the boat around while still floating towards shore and have a buddy take a rope from the back to a sand spike up on the beach or to a branch/rock on shore. Then you stay in about 4' of water and don't have to worry about scratches. With that setup my boat stays put all day if needed. I can watch all the other boats slowly drift around and people having to manage them the whole time they're parked. I use the small size anchor and have no issues.

shockthis
06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
They are called keel shields.

uniwarking
06-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Since I got my Moomba, it's never seen the beach. I use an anchor at the bow and run a line to the beach and put a stake in the sand. Too much underwater gear and darker gels shows scratches so easily... it's just not worth it to me.

ninedriver
06-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Don't mean to jack ur thread but I have a related question. When pulling in towards the shore will the hull of the boat always make contact with the bottom of the lake before the prop? Another words will the boat beach before a prop strike? Also, how shallow can you go before beaching? Thanks.

uniwarking
06-13-2014, 08:05 AM
It's really hard to tell what will hit first... lots of underwater hazards. I prefer to stay in water at least 3' below the boat but that's just me. Those props are expensive... and so are all the other underwater components!

sandm
06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
depends on the slope of the lake bottom. if it's gradual out, you could hit with prop before front.

we NEVER beach. when going out to the sandbar to enjoy some adult beverages, it's pretty shallow but also a real sandy bottom. we stop at around waist depth, set a front anchor and a side anchor and done. cost me around $125 for 2 anchors and rope.
I have a white bottom and still wouldn't ever subject the boat to the bottom. sandblasting is the quickest way to remove paint from metal. why would you run a boat that you pay as much as a small house for into the same type of process.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
when I'm beaching my boat (at least twice every time I take it out), the skegs usually dig in before the bow hits the sand. The prop never makes contact.

But....most Florida lakes have a gradual shift in depth (like ocean beaches). There are no sudden drop offs into deep water.

I always shut the engine off in 3 feet of water when I'm heading towards shore and let the boat slowly drift in until it stops.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Here is the product I was thinking of....

http://www.westmarine.com/megaware-keelguard--keelguard-protection-strips--P017_513_002_007

garyholl
06-13-2014, 08:21 AM
We use the rule that the shape of the land above water will continue below water as a way to estimate the slope. If the shoreline is slipping sharply to the beach you could proly beach it but if it ids a shallow slope then anchor off shore. Side note-We moor our boat in front of the house in the summer using a danforth anchor and a moor ball for the front and a POLYPROPYLENE rope to show. The poly rope will stretch allowing me to "load" it so the boat has some give and can still move around a little.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

garyholl
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Wow! Spell check butchering!
That should read sloping sharply to, if it is a, and, rope to shore, not show.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jrichard1987
06-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses!!!

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

Gabbyg88
06-13-2014, 08:28 AM
why would you run a boat that you pay as much as a small house for into the same type of process.

Jump and swim, thats what we do....

slipperyrockTKE300
06-13-2014, 08:51 AM
why do I beach?

In Florida there are more boat ramps than there are docks. Plenty of beach.

We don't have rocky shorelines or steep muddy cliffs.

Once the boat is in the water - you want to stay away from the ramp/dock area.

When my boat initially hits the water, I take it for a warm up spin, then I head back to the beach to pick up the wife. She walks up to the bow, spins the boat around, climbs in and off we go.

When it is time to trailer the boat, the wife beaches the boat, I jump out, spin the boat around and off she goes.

During the winter months when the water is pretty chilly, my guests only have to walk in about a foot of water to climb onto the swim platform...and off we go.

The boat is a recreational vehicle. I treat it as such.

Cigars n scotch
06-13-2014, 09:42 AM
This is a funny thread and this topic always amuses me to see the different and strong opinions either way. I used to be in the "I will never beach my boat" camp, but as of late I've come to realize that there is no real big deal with it and proper use of caution and anchoring can help. Plus my daughter really likes to play on the beaches. I boat on a lake and there's many fingers and coves off the main channel but there's also some places which aren't quite in the main channel but are within area of rollers coming in that have little beaches because of an island or whatever. There is a sandbar which gets to about 2-3 in the middle that everyone goes to and we'll just anchor there, but for the beaches I just pull up till about 4-5 ft. depth, cut the engine and hop out to pull the boat in the rest of the way. Then I just anchor the stern to prevent it from shifting to the sides (which would bring my prop into the shallower water which I don't want). That's about it. Otherwise we just use a bow anchor and a stern anchor to keep the boat in place when rafted, sometimes just a bow anchor is needed.

I have a white hull so for those of you with a dark gel I can understand your stance. When I was looking for a Supra I looked at a 21V that was in Boise, ID and the keel was all scratched to hell from them beaching but it was owned to two younger guys who probably partied more than they did anything else. I did not buy that boat. It was black btw.

zabooda
06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
I beach quite often but then there is no other boats around to make a wave or even just let it float around. When you get age on the boat small scratches on the bottom is the least of one's concerns.

beat taco
06-13-2014, 10:36 AM
I beached my last boat for years. After that amount of time I wore a flat spot on my hull. I also broke my rudder bearing when waves came in one time and basically picked the back of the boat up and slammed it back on the rudder. Now I have an anchor with anchor buddy and will never beach again. Just my experience.

trayson
06-13-2014, 11:32 AM

i have been thinking about that as well..
http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Ahhh, thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to get one of these. Just found one for $34 shipped on ebay.

why do I beach?

In Florida there are more boat ramps than there are docks. Plenty of beach.

We don't have rocky shorelines or steep muddy cliffs.

Once the boat is in the water - you want to stay away from the ramp/dock area.

When my boat initially hits the water, I take it for a warm up spin, then I head back to the beach to pick up the wife. She walks up to the bow, spins the boat around, climbs in and off we go.

When it is time to trailer the boat, the wife beaches the boat, I jump out, spin the boat around and off she goes.

During the winter months when the water is pretty chilly, my guests only have to walk in about a foot of water to climb onto the swim platform...and off we go.

The boat is a recreational vehicle. I treat it as such.

I can respect that. I'm all about keeping something nice, but I'm also one that will USE my toys the way I want. My Jeep for example has all sorts of scratches and even some minor dents from wheelin'. Anyone that sees it comments that it's obvious that I USE my jeep. It's not an ugly mess, but I wheel it hard.

If beaching your boat adds to the enjoyment and doesn't actually hurt it in any measurable way, then more power to ya. Obviously there's risk with any action. That's why we all have to make our own risk/reward decisions.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-13-2014, 12:06 PM
"That's why we all have to make our own risk/reward decisions."

Exactlly. And environmental differences play a huge part in those decisions.

My lake bottoms are really fine sand. I'm sure most of you wouldn't mind beaching in those conditions.

Would I beach the boat if the lake bottom was rock (Lake Lanier for example) - absolutely not!

In my environment, I've actually had more damage done from waves banging the boat against a dock - the one time I had to pick up an elderly couple.

It is an all black hull.

Mrd8ker
06-13-2014, 12:27 PM
+1 for the anchor buddy. Set it and forget it. Crack a beer and watch everyone else (without the anchor buddy) reset their boat 3-4 times a day.

ninedriver
06-13-2014, 02:09 PM
So, could someone shed some more light on the anchor buddy, box anchor, sand spike set up. Do you back the boat in to about 10' of water and toss the box anchor with an anchor buddy attached off the bow? Then attach another line to the stern and pull it taught and attach to a sand spike? This way I guess the stern of the boat would be facing the shore?
Also, is the anchor buddy attached directly to the box anchor and to the boat or is there more line involved?

I'm trying to figure this out as I plan on camping at a local lake and would like to anchor my boat off shore and wade in to grab lunch and take breaks. There's no docks on this lake and I don't feel like trailering it each time.
Thanks again

trayson
06-13-2014, 02:23 PM

I'm also going to try some Auger stakes that I won at a 4x4 Jamboree a couple years ago. They seem like they might work well in the sand...

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-95148754759494_2267_102157173

Myth
06-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Here's a video showing how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBWravGEwp4

trayson
06-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Here's a video showing how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBWravGEwp4

That part where he drove it right up to the rocks with only the bungee keeping him from bashing them as he stepped off made me nervous!!!

But to ninedriver:

1) Toss your ancher that's attached to the stretchy anchor buddy line out into the water away from shore.
2) Get the anchor set into the bottom.
3) ease your boat in towards shore and get out when it's shallow enough or you're close enough
4) Tie a line to the other end of your boat and run that line to shore.
5) The anchor buddy will retract, pulling your boat away from shore (towards the anchor) and your boat will me moored in the deeper water.
6) when it's time to get your boat, pull the boat towards the shore using the line that goes from shore to boat, and get in.
7) the anchor buddy will again pull you out into the deeper water
8 ) either pull the anchor buddy and the anchor in, or attach a bouy to your anchor line and reattach that later.

You would be able to use this approach with EITHER the bow or the stern facing shore. Just attach the anchor to the part you want facing away from shore and the shore line to the part you want facing shore.

Also see pic:
http://greenfieldproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/AnchorBuddy.jpg

bergermaister
06-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Lika dis-

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/ab1d6716.jpg

Careful with the buddy system though - a good current or wind/waves can stretch it further than you wanted and cause havoc.

Getting it set right without looking like a rookie can be a trick the first time or two. My highly scientific method is to usually drop everybody on the beach, push off or motor out to about the spot/depth that looks right, toss the anchor/buddy/buoy over. Try to remember to hold onto the rope. Keep boat idling.

Then hook rope to front cleat, curse at going around the tower with the rope on the wrong side, tie off rope on back cleat, line up and burp throttle in reverse back towards the shore, kill it, bail out with my $5 homemade sand spike T and rope in waste deep (hopefully) water, then let boat drift back out a ways. Curse more at finding the hardest spot on the beach to drive the sand spike in. Spend 10 minutes untangling rope loops. Tie off the boat.

Then pull it back in to test setup and grab beer that was left warming itself in the cupholder, fire up tunes, etc. We always face out for better wave handling, platform loading/unloading and tune displacement.

I've found it's much easier to do this with just one helper either on the beach or in the bow rather than a boat load of obstacles since you have to move pretty quickly - at least in a river current.

Would also recommend a brightly colored floating rope for your beach tie off - way less likely to get tripped over or ran over (or left behind)...

ninedriver
06-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Tray and Berg,

Thanks for the replies and explanations. I can already see myself attempting Berg's "highly scientific" method and adding a few expletives....

And berg, on that pic, how much clearance is there between your rudder/prop and the river bottom? Do they ever make contact?

bergermaister
06-14-2014, 01:25 AM
When loading people on the back the rudder/prop has definitely made contact before but that's on a sandy river bottom and just a little. Only one at a time on the platform helps. When someone like my parents in their mid 70's are climbing in I will pull it in as far as I can and let it touch the sand. Figure it's worth it since they won't be able to go out with us too many more years.

When the buddy pulls the boat out the depth can really be whatever you want - I like to keep the boat closer in when possible with some tension on the line; usually try to be in at least 5ft of water at the stern when it's out. We occasionally get some big rollers washing up and the kids like to swim around it. (Ok ok, it's that much closer when you need another beer...)

Bringing the boat in to load up just use your personal thermometer as about the depth to pull the boat to.

Yep - bout right there.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070358.jpg

moombadaze
06-16-2014, 06:22 PM
ive anchored-one off the bow and one off the stern to the beach, beached on sugar sand with gentle throttle so it would stay put, and let gently rest on soft sand. all depends on the conditions and wave action and how long were staying for. Never on rocky sand. For anchors I keep on board a Danforth style, a mushroom style and a spike, also have a box anchor but haven't got to use it yet

trayson
06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
ive anchored-one off the bow and one off the stern to the beach, beached on sugar sand with gentle throttle so it would stay put, and let gently rest on soft sand. all depends on the conditions and wave action and how long were staying for. Never on rocky sand. For anchors I keep on board a Danforth style, a mushroom style and a spike, also have a box anchor but haven't got to use it yet

I just scored a box anchor for $85 off CL, and a Shore Spike for $35. Pretty excited to have better options than my $20 walmart fluke anchor.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/anchor-bagcombo.jpg

http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/DSC_0193_500x335_.jpg
The top portion of the spike has a weighted sliding handle that allows you to pound it in w/o needing to carry the hammer. (although whacking the stake in will unfortunately draw up imagines of whacking it off! Doh!)

millerda68
06-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Ive never beached ours. I dont want to risk damage to the prop, rudder, or fins. Box anchor off the front and tie off the back (i dont have a sand spike yet). The protective strip referenced on page 1 is called keel guard. It works well. I put it on the Blue Water we had before the Moomba.

After a Shasta trip and beaching the BW the keel was all chewed up. Paid to fix it and immediately put the guard on. It was solid the last 3 years we had that boat.

Sorry if this is a repeat of info, i didnt read all pages in the post.

C.Hern5972
06-17-2014, 05:58 AM
I use an anchor and a stake out stick. Works great and stows away easily.

bergermaister
07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
So apparently the average life of an anchor buddy is 8 years with typical use and a handful of windstorms/high currents.

Anchoring up Saturday I heard a "snap" and ended up with a nice plain non-bungee yellow rope to the anchor. I actually kind of like the way it held in the current on a hard line to the point where I'm considering getting the shallow water version as a replacement instead.

Shallow goes from 7' to 21' vs the normal one going 14' to 50' stretch.

Curious if any of you have had the shallow and any complaints vs the normal?

Rakkasan
07-14-2014, 02:39 PM
My anchor buddy lasted one weekend. Bought it before the 4th of July, use it about 5 times over the weekend, and then it snapped. It broke right where the metal clip is on the anchor end and lost my anchor in about 30ft of water. Tried to contact the company about a possible warranty and still haven't heard anything.

sivs1
07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Quick question regarding the Anchor Buddy. Said it is rated up to 4,000 lbs. What about just using a regular anchor line on the bow instead? What's the advantage to the stretch? Don't want it to break or to loose my anchor.

bergermaister
07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Regular line defeats the purpose of being able to pull up to the shoreline and load/unload, then let go and have the bungee pull the boat back out to depth. Could just give slack in your drop line I suppose but then the boat is going to wander around while it's out there if you have any wind or current.

I mostly anchor in fairly shallow waters so ordered the shallow version. Hopefully it will do the trick. In the past, when the wind has started to kick up although mine held, it would want to wander over to one side or the other pretty much the full stretch length of the bungee before stopping. Made me nervous too many times.