PDA

View Full Version : New Mondo engine cut out while in transit

spader
06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Hey guys.

So we were on the river tonight with our four kids. After pulling up to a beach to let the kids swim for awhile we started heading back to the boat ramp. While on our way, the engine just stopped. We have dual batteries and I tried both 1 and 2 but nothing happened. I made sure it was in neutral. I reset the circuit breaker by the battery switch but that didn't help. Just prior to the engine stopping, we were getting weird water temp readings and no mph readings at all. We started paddling in and were lucky enough to get a tow. I have the batteries plugged in now.

Should the display work if I am charging the batteries? The radio, lights, other accessories work but the display won't turn on. Is there something else I should be looking for? Sorry this is my first boat so I am learning as I go and I appreciate all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spader
06-09-2014, 11:35 PM
I looked under the dash at the ignition breaker and I had to reset that. Now everything is working again. Why would that have flipped while under way. We had the radio on and the kids had the heaters on. Nothing else should have been running. Little ticked at myself that I didn't calm down in the boat and think about looking at this. Oh well I am learning.

saskyrider
06-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Check the transducer which is down in the bilge area.. chances are the wires are melted. Its a noted issue search thru the threads as there is another thread regarding it

Sent from my apple crushin android device

smorris7
06-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Why hasn't SC issued a recall on the boats instead of letting folks break down on the water. This is obviously an ongoing issue on the new models.

spader
06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Why hasn't SC issued a recall on the boats instead of letting folks break down on the water. This is obviously an ongoing issue on the new models.

Agreed. My series of events was identical to others on this forum and if it was not for this forum I would not have known that there was a service bulletin out for this issue. I should have been paying closer attention to the posts on this forum however it would have been nice to hear from the dealer as well. Mine goes in Monday to get fixed. Dealer didn't even have the new parts yet. They are on order.

tater
06-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Would also like to know why they cant find the problem with all the wake plate issues,well over a year now and no one seems to have an answer

13mobiusLSV
06-13-2014, 12:30 AM
^ this

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
2003 Ebbtide Campioné 210
1969 Sea Ray SRV 170

dillinle
06-13-2014, 11:20 PM
SC has issued a recall on this. happened to my 2014 Mojo and some others on the boards here. I saw the recall notice from my dealer after mine had already been replaced. If I remember right it affected boats manufactured from August thru March. Take it back to get fixed, because it is going to happen again in a worse spot if you dont

LeeM
06-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Does SC have a place that they post recalls publicly? Or are they just sent to the owner and/or dealer. Mines at the dealer right now and if it's effected by this recall, I'd rather get it done while it's there rather than drive the 3 hrs back a day or week or whatever after I pick it up.

spader
06-14-2014, 01:11 AM
I never received notification personally and mine is going in on Monday to get fixed so I am assuming they do not send any notification to owner since I didn't hear anything from them prior to my issues.

LeeM
06-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Ok. Thanks. I'll see what they've heard about it.

smorris7
06-14-2014, 09:33 AM
It's pointless to issue a recall if the owner of the boat isn't notified. If the dealers are notified then they should be contacting the owners.

LeeM
06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Couldn't agree more. I live 3 hrs from my dealer and if my boat falls into this recall window, I'd like to get it taken care of while it's there. I haven't heard anything about this except for what I've read on here. I'd like to believe that this is because my boat is not affected by the recall. But, the more likely scenario is that I will get home from work, go pick up my boat from the dealer were I left it for 3 weeks while away, take it out and have this happen within the first few times on the water. Then it's back to the dealer right in the middle of the very short time I have to use it. I will be trying to get them to see if I need this repair first thing Monday morning. But I'd like to have something more than a thread from a forum as the basis for my concern.

mmandley
06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I think recalls, have to be X amount of cases, over a certain time frame.

I'm not sure if SC makes enough boats per year to make it a recall.

I actually have never heard of a recall for a boat, of any manufacturer.

spader
06-14-2014, 11:21 AM
This was in another post concerning same issue.
2014 model year Moomba boats manufactured between October 2013 and March 2014. Serial numbers

ending in; J314, K314, L314, A414, B414, C414.

Sampp1963
06-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Just contact my dealer, and there is a recall....I just got my new Mondo and serial number ending with C414....

Does anyone knows if you have to take the boat out of the water to replace the part?