PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate trailer hub question.

Beejwest
06-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Anyone know off the top of their head what weight oil/lube the hubs on my '07 boatmate trailer uses? It looks like it's a wet type bearing, not a greasable hub like I'm used to. There is what I belive to be a fill port, with a nipple to add lube. If no one knows I'll just call boatmate I suppose. Thanks!

csm
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
My '05 used 50 weight.

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/trailerbuddygoldmaint.pdf

Cigars n scotch
06-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I just regreased all of my hubs (had a leak in one seal and had to replace) just a few weeks ago but my trailer is an '08 and I don't have any nipple. I just went to advanced auto and got auto bearing lube, forget what though. Boatmateparts.com sells the lube but they are a ripoff in my opinion.

Beejwest
06-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks CSM!

ninedriver
06-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Do you guys have "The Vault" hybrid lubrication system on your hubs? It's supposed to be maintenance free?

slipperyrockTKE300
06-08-2014, 02:31 PM
"The Vault" is not maintenance free.

Every once in a while check the back of your trailer wheel hubs for leaks - I had a seal blow out and it is rather a PITA to repair.

Even removing the cap requires a replacement from the manufacturer - and a tube of grease, a new rear seal, an O-ring and some permatex seal adhesive.

yz 2smoke
06-08-2014, 08:48 PM
I have the vault system, it says maintenance free but the manual says to service them every 5 years. I checked the hubs every time I stop for ice/gas for excessive heat or leaks. I plan on servicing them at the 5 year mark if I don't have a no problems before then.

rdlangston13
06-08-2014, 10:44 PM
"The Vault" is not maintenance free.

Every once in a while check the back of your trailer wheel hubs for leaks - I had a seal blow out and it is rather a PITA to repair.

Even removing the cap requires a replacement from the manufacturer - and a tube of grease, a new rear seal, an O-ring and some permatex seal adhesive.

I replaced all 4 of mine. It is no different than repacking normal hub bearings IMO. You can get all the parts that boat mate sells at www.pacifictrailers.com for a fraction of the price.

Gabbyg88
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I've replaced mine last year and I bought everything from www.pacifictrailers.com as well. I used the Vault bearing grease as it is designed to lubricate the UFP hubs, I don’t want to burn up the bearings down the road, even more costly. Only problem I had was once I pulled the bearing protector my one hub did not have the 1/8” hole for grease fitting to fill space between the inner and outer bearings correctly. I had to remove the cotter pin pull and remove the large nut off the spindle and pop out the outer bearing and fill the void between the bearings, very easy but very messy. Then just put the outer bearing back in and replace the large nut and cotter pin. Then follow the directions to install the new bearing protector. Very easy, just messy!

Cigars n scotch
06-09-2014, 03:17 PM
I replaced all 4 of mine. It is no different than repacking normal hub bearings IMO. You can get all the parts that boat mate sells at www.pacifictrailers.com for a fraction of the price.

Seconded on PT, David sent me their info when I replaced mine. And I do have the Vault, I guess the OP was referring to something different. I didn't think it was that much of a pain to change the seal or repack the grease, just messy as hell and a little time consuming.

rdlangston13
06-09-2014, 03:22 PM
That vault grease has some kind of green oil stuff in it that becomes separated when it gets hot. I had some in a grease gun and I left it in my garage in the summer and a few weeks like i opened the tool box and there was oily slimy green stuff everywhere. You almost need to keep that stuff refrigerated

slipperyrockTKE300
06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I had never repacked bearings before so for me it was a PITA the first time I did it and I do agree - it was messy!

But hey, boys do like to play in mud and grease

First time I did this, didn't have the rear seal in properly (wasted a whole tube of the grease), didn't know about the recommended permatex seal and didn't have a jack that would lift the boat and trailer.

I'm very well prepared now.

Additionally, I have discovered that you can get those rear seals at local RV stores.

Cigars n scotch
06-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I had never repacked bearings before so for me it was a PITA the first time I did it and I do agree - it was messy!

But hey, boys do like to play in mud and grease

First time I did this, didn't have the rear seal in properly (wasted a whole tube of the grease), didn't know about the recommended permatex seal and didn't have a jack that would lift the boat and trailer.

I'm very well prepared now.

Additionally, I have discovered that you can get those rear seals at local RV stores.

You can also get those seals at local auto parts stores which is what I did. I think I posted a national parts# in another thread where I was asking about doing these seals.