PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Comes On Often

D Dub
06-06-2014, 02:22 AM
So since buying my boat new in 06 the bilge always kicks on about every 15 to 20 minutes and pumps out a pretty decent amount of water. It probably runs for a minute or two. I had a friend who had a Supra and his did the same thing. He told me what it was that he had fixed but for the life of me I can't remember. I think it had something to do with a seal where the drive shaft comes through the hull but not sure. Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks!

brain_rinse
06-06-2014, 05:37 AM
Search shaft packing. Good luck!

slipperyrockTKE300
06-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Most of us who had the older boats without the "dripless" shaft seal had this problem.

It's really not a big deal and is an easy fix - just a matter of re-packing the nut with a rope-like material.

You can upgrade to the "dripless".

"DOCDRS" has a pretty involved post about shaft seal maintenance.

liquid_acid
06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
I had a similar problem last year. Had a leak in the exhaust baffle and a small leak in the seal at the bottom. Glassed the baffle and tightened up the seal and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wesjxxx
06-11-2014, 08:22 PM
It is the packing nut..(stuffing box) .if it's a v- drive just lift cover under rear seat and look at the brass nut on shaft....you will see it leaking.
Mine was leaking horribly so I dug out old rope and replaced.....problem solved.
Make sure you tighten and check lock nut after running....mine backed off and water was gushing in.....I'm a mechanical nut and pull cover every time bilge kicks on. Good luck.