PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder Transducer

JHutch
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
What expoxy are you guys using? Mine is showing --- while underway so I am assuming the expoxy has gone bad?

Thanks,

uniwarking
06-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Mine is doing this from time to time as well... Usually just power down and power up and it works... Guess I ought to see how well it's attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jester
06-05-2014, 04:48 PM
I am having the same issue but have not looked into it yet. There is another Thread on this subject.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24213-Transducer-Mounting-In-Hull

Packman
06-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Mine started that and a friends did it this year had to replace the depth finder I think the factory ones are known for this.

ninedriver
06-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm getting the occasional "----" as well. I didn't realize the factory ones are known for this. Do I only need to replace the transducer? Is it plug and play with current gauge and wiring?

trayson
06-08-2014, 11:56 AM
are yours thru hull or in hull? Mine is in hull (no cut) and I have to fill mine with mineral oil. I think I must have a small leak somewhere that is allowing the oil to seep out, as I'll get --- or some whack readings and once I top off the mineral oil it works great.

beej77r
06-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Mine was doing all kind of crazy things... giving the "---" and first of the year didn't even work. I ended looking, and the transducer was coming un glued. For the life of me i can't remember what i had used to glue it back down. It was an epoxy that was good to use in Marine environment. I reglued after our session before putting boat away, the next week it didn't work, then the following week, everything seems to be working fine.. but hey its working!

ninedriver
06-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Hmm...I'll have to give mine a look see. Hopefully that's all it is.

bergermaister
06-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Couple years ago I bought a new one only to find my old one had just broken loose and was rattling around in the bilge. Used this stuff to mount the new one - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-85-fl-oz-Marine-Epoxy-1405604/100371825

In hindsight I probably shouldn't have done that but it hasn't budged since I mounted the "new" transducer. You need to twist it back and forth when applying to get all air bubbles out if I recall.

I'd really like to upgrade to one of the thru-hull eye Faria ones that can give both air and water temp as well instead of the glued in-hull style. Mine works 80% of the time. The 20% it flashes --- is usually when I'm coming into some unfamiliar cove or beach. :(

ninedriver
06-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Ya, mine seems to be in the 80% / 20% club (or maybe 60/40). And of course the --- usually appears at the least opportune time...

So, is a thru hull better than one that's appoxied to the hull?

bergermaister
06-15-2014, 02:28 PM
That's the theory - no obstructions. Plus the water temp would be nice if you don't have that. I'm guessing the same rule about nothing mounted in front of it that could cause bubbles or cavitation applies. Just make sure you don't mount it in the wrong place and crush it on a bunk when you pull onto the trailer!

Rakkasan
08-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Could someone give me a location of the transducer on the 08. Went out today and it had nothing. Not the --- that everybody else is experiencing but mine just blinks 0.0 non stop.

Rakkasan
08-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Nevermind. Found it just need to get it workin again. The liquid inside was nasty with stuff floating inside. Hopefully if I clean it out and add new liquid it will fix the problem.