PDA

View Full Version : Board Wax?? Cleaner??

tgoody14
06-04-2014, 07:50 PM
I think we've all talked about this once before, but I can't seem to find it so I'm bringing it up again...

We have really hard water here on Lake Amistad, if I were to use a wax or a cleaner to help make the bottom of my boards slick again what would I use???

I have a Ronix Koal for myself and a Hyperlite Broadcast for the boat board. I'm more concerned about the Koal...

bergermaister
06-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Per KG's suggestion I've used RainX as a simple clean/wax. Worked pretty well but don't think it affected performance much. I was hoping to make an old board faster - it just got shinier.

sandm
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I would agree with berg. shinier but not sure it'll affect performance much.
I have a koal that has 2 years on it, although not much use and haven't done anything to it. couldn't notice any difference the last outing from what I remember it being new... other than it's supporting another 10 lbs :)

KG's Supra24
06-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Yea, I'm not sure rainx will give any real performance enhancement. It was one of those late night things we put together because the theory seemed reasonable. I had a buddy that claimed it may have helped but who knows.

kaneboats
06-05-2014, 10:08 AM
... other than it's supporting another 10 lbs :)

Cheese will do that to ya.

sandm
06-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I am cheese free. it's actually amazing how many double takes I get around here going to a bar, ordering a dinner, not seeing a plain hamburger so having to order a cheeseburger with no cheese. had a cook come out once to meet me just to see who would order a cheeseburger sans cheese in wisconsin :)

it's all the dang non-lite beer.
got into a local beer from New Glarus called Spotted Cow. it's a hef. super good but I have not looked at the caloric content. I'm scared to see it.....

tgoody14
06-05-2014, 03:16 PM
I've actually thought about spraying the outside of the boat with RainX! Everytime we pull the boat out, there's a white ring around it from floating. I was hoping to spray it down with RainX then be able to pull the boat out, hit it with a hose, then dry it off but I haven't done it yet. I really hate having to wet a towel down on one end to get all that white crap off the boat every trip. If I leave it and let it dry it's a real pain to get off the next time

kaneboats
06-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Have you tried any of those spray on wet waxes?

tgoody14
06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
No sir. They actually work?

bergermaister
06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
It was one of those late night things we put together because the theory seemed reasonable.

BEER THEORY!

I can't take credit for that - courtesy of Newty after reviewing my ballast plan one night a few years back after we polished off, I don't even know how many - lost track but we were a bit shocked that we both made it to work the next morning if I recall

bergermaister
06-05-2014, 05:30 PM
No sir. They actually work?

Smells kinda funny but works great.

http://www.performanceboatcandy.com/shop/Boat-Care-Products/Speed-Gloss.html

newty
06-05-2014, 05:41 PM
BEER THEORY!

I can't take credit for that - courtesy of Newty after reviewing my ballast plan one night a few years back after we polished off, I don't even know how many - lost track but we were a bit shocked that we both made it to work the next morning if I recall

Ha! I forgot about that. I/we have come up with a few good ideas and a lot bad ones too with "beer theory".

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

uniwarking
06-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Smells kinda funny but works great.

http://www.performanceboatcandy.com/shop/Boat-Care-Products/Speed-Gloss.html

Yes this stuff works great... and... people comment that "that stuff smells good" all the time!

I too, was curious about how to care for my surf board. I don't have anything fancy, just a Hyperlite Broadcast. So far, I've just used a little water and simple green to keep it clean. I'm tempted to use the boat candy on it but I know wax will actually slow the board down... surface tension and such. I'm not sure if the surfboard specific waxes are appropriate for my type in inland board either. What are other folks using?

bergermaister
06-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Wonder if a surf shop could hook you up depending on the temp of the water.

I remember with snow skiing different waxes made all the difference in the world depending on the temp and snow type. Some felt like you were riding the brakes, some felt like Knight Rider's turbo boost.

This is Dusty's Moms personal favorite
http://www.jackssurfboards.com/images/products/SexWaxBLU.jpg