PDA

View Full Version : Ballast?

Roachman
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
How much weight is the factory Gravity III Ballast? I just ordered an LSV and wanted to know if I needed bigger rear sacs.

Sharru-Kinu
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Roach,
Great question. We had some good threads on this last month but they all disappeared mysteriously.

If all you want to do is wakeboard, the Gravity III will be plenty. The front sac is 600# and the rears are 250# each.

If you want to wakesurf without having 20 people in the boat, you need bigger sacs. I got mine from wakeside.com. The ProX sacs will perfectly replace your factory bags - you won't have to change any fittings or anything. I went with the Fat Sacs which are 700# each in the rear and left the stock front bag alone. You can also get the V-Drive sacs which are about 400# each. If you go with the larger ones (they aren't much more expensive) you have the option to just fill them up as much or as little as you want. Don't plan on running the boat with everything full (2100#), I tried that once and it wasn't good. But running one of the 700# sacs all the way full makes a killer surf wake.
I have some pics of my install HERE (www.c21dp.com/junk/ct).

Hope that helps.

Nboard10
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Sharru-Kinu,

Looks like all of the hard work has paid off! Nice looking boat.

Roachman
04-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Very nice boat. Thanks for the input, I will probably just add the 400 LB sacs to the rear, I just dont think I would ever use the full 700 lbs.

Sharru-Kinu
04-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, the 700# sacs are a must for wakesurfing, but if you only want to wakeboard, you'll never need that much weight.

Quick tip on changing out the bags (maybe this is obvious already):
When you unscrew your factory bags and hook up the new ones, you are going to introduce a bunch of air into the system. This can make your first couple of trips to the lake pretty frustrating becuase your ballast pumps are going to have a hard time getting primed when you go to fill up the first time and they are going to loose their prime many times when you are trying to empty them. Basically, the pumps will shut themselves off every time they suck in air from your new sacs. To avoid this, take a few minutes on your first trip and fill the bags completely full (get the boat up on plane and run at about 20mph with the pumps on - this will help them get primed). Once the bags are completely full and tight, slowly unscrew the top valve at the front side of your sac and "belch" all of the air out. You may even need to run your hand from the rear of the sac back towards the front with that valve open to make sure all of the air bubbles are out. When you have nothing but water coming out of that front valve, screw the valve back into place. Now you should be able to empty the sacs quickly and easily.

Good luck!

xtremmarine
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey guys have a question I have a 2000 mobuis V it has plastic tanks in the rear does anyone know what they weigh. Has anyone had these in their boat.

05mobiusxlv
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Thank you Sharru-Kinu, for E-mailing me the link for them 750lb rear bags. Here it is for anyone else interested:

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast/fly_high_fat_sac_W707

I contacted Fly High Directly to get the scoop. I got to talk with the General Manager. She told me that fittings that come with these bags, were not the same for my XLV. But they put the right fittings on for me for free.

A couple months ago, I ordered the Gravity games edition front ballast bag, that they make special for the XLV. When it came, It was so big, I didn't think it would even fit. But it did. I have used it a couple of times, and it holds so much water, that it pushes off the cushions in the bow. The Fly High Manager told me that fully filled, they have got it to hold 1500lbs of water. So as soon as I get these 2 rear 750lb bags installed, I should have 3,000 lbs of ballast.

For anyone still having trouble with fittings popping off, like I was. I mentioned it to Fly High, and she told me that for the 2006 Moomba's they are using pvc cement on the fittings, and they have not had any problems yet.