PDA

View Full Version : Injury from surfing

patrick232
06-03-2014, 11:38 AM
I have been told getting old sucks, first injury ever and have been skiing or boarding for almost 22 years.
Don't know what I hit but some how it looks like I hyper extended my elbow Saturday surfing. Yes I screamed to the wife to pick me up, since her and the kids thought I was joking.
Maybe the board, the water, or debris

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aD_soJ1Zg3w/U43bli9msHI/AAAAAAAABHU/QF1yuGrJ6rQ/w355-h632-no/IMG_20140603_102829249_HDR.jpg

kaneboats
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
That is definitely the worst wakesurfing injury I have seen so far.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Ouch!!!

I don't think your age has anything to do with it....I'm going on 60 this year :)

Definety something wrong here - the slow speed of surfing usually doesn't cause injuries.

Something had to change in your normal routine - can you think what it was?? The Debris maybe??

Are you surfing the Ohio river?

zabooda
06-03-2014, 12:21 PM
May have whacked the board going down.

mmandley
06-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow, you hit the board or debris is my guess.

2 summers ago Claudia fell and the board fins hit her lower leg, left a cut and bruise.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't know....Patrick you look like you may be a pretty big dude. If you hit the surfboard I would think you would have come up outta the water knowing it.

Of course on a good Yeungling day, you might not know it right away :)

rdlangston13
06-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Man, surfing is dangerous, I'll stick to wakeboarding! But for real though that looks painful.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
"Man, surfing is dangerous, I'll stick to wakeboarding"

LOL

Wus!!

slipperyrockTKE300
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Oh wait a minute...who am I to call someone a wus - I forgot something.....

Just had a friend visit who I have not seen in 30 years - since we were in college together.

I broke out the slalom ski this weekend.

Unfortunately, I was able to get up on the 1st try - so I thought I was a hot shot.

Ended up skiing at 34 MPH on the shortest length of rope.

I'm so damn sore I'm on my 2nd vacation day.

patrick232
06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I don't know....Patrick you look like you may be a pretty big dude. If you hit the surfboard I would think you would have come up outta the water knowing it.

Of course on a good Yeungling day, you might not know it right away :)

It was instant what ever happened, yes the Bud Lights helped after the fact.

mikenehrkorn
06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Wow, that is a bad one......I hope that doesn't deter or cut into your future surfing time!!

sandm
06-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I would recommend you never surf again.

Please box up all your surfing gear and send them to me and I will properly dispose of them to ensure no one has access to them and sustains the same type of injury........

:)

moombadaze
06-04-2014, 07:37 AM
dam, had to hit something

uniwarking
06-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Were you holding on the rope when you fell? I'm not a doctor or anything but that really looks like a ruptured muscle... basically a muscle that has a partial tear that bleeds out a bit. I had a buddy that did it with a simple golf swing... looked worse on day 2 and 3 but then got better pretty quickly.

Worst injury I ever had was actually on a knee board a couple years back... after a fall, the thing came up from under the water and smacked me in the face splitting my lip. Nothing a little super glue wont fix ;) I always try to look away from the where I think the surf board will be immediately after a fall... just in case.

Good luck healing up!

parrothd
06-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Those knee boards are death traps! I hate that thing for that same reason. I broke my pinky finger last weekend with a Nerf football..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patrick232
06-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Was not holding rope, that was the first thought. Had just tossed it. I will try and be back at it this weekend, feels better than is looks now.

bergermaister
06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Ok, for grins, how old are ya?

I did a similar one about a year ago, only I have no idea how. Getting dressed one morning, looked in the mirror and it was "WHAT THE..!"

Looked like it hurt a lot worse than it actually did in my case. But took LOTS of beer to make the bruise go away ;)

patrick232
06-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Ok, for grins, how old are ya?

I did a similar one about a year ago, only I have no idea how. Getting dressed one morning, looked in the mirror and it was "WHAT THE..!"

Looked like it hurt a lot worse than it actually did in my case. But took LOTS of beer to make the bruise go away ;)

Almost 40, the bruising is from the muscles tightening to protect the elbow tendons while being hyper extended. Yes tried to help the pain with beer.

jester
06-04-2014, 07:17 PM
First question is what did you do to piss off the wife? Last year one of my friends got her hand in the handle when she fell and it jerked her arm. It also had a nice color like yours but hers was a bicep injury. Hope you get better soon.