PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV WON'T FIT

mdean22
06-02-2014, 09:59 PM
I just bought a 06 mombius lsv and found out we are a few inches from being able to go in the garage. I let the tower down, and tried taking the trailer off the hitch and rolling it in by hand. Still too tall. I think we are still too tall to even let air out and have it roll in. Any suggestions?

wolfeman131
06-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Get a taller garage door.

What is the height of the current door? That boat should fit a standard garage door without much issue.

jimmobius
06-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Well that sucks, must b a 7 foot garage door. First thing is to make sure the door opens up above the frame of the garage opening. (It rolls back farther , can be adjusted on the opener) . Other than that , maybe take a trip piece off
the header at the top of the garage door opening. Here is another idea maybe smaller diameter wheels and tires. Make sure they will take the load.
Jim

patrick232
06-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Did you crank the wheel all the way down after removing from the hitch? Doing this will drop the height of the tower. What trailer do you have?

mcdye
06-03-2014, 07:58 AM
What type of axle do you have? Spring or Torsion.

IF you lowered the tongue even further by using a floor jack would it fit?

patrick232
06-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Congrats on your new boat. A picture will help us help you.

sivs1
06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
This is a problem I wish I had. My garage is only 20 feet deep. Boat stored 14 miles away. Before I moved was kept at the house and loved it being so close. Congrats on the boat, you'll love it.

Cigars n scotch
06-03-2014, 09:11 AM
I have a different boat but a somewhat similar problem and here's what I do: on my garage door there's a bolt behind the track arm where you can disconnect the door from the track to manually roll the door. I unlatch the door and pull it back up the track and insert the bolt back to hold it. Then I actually have a 10 inch drop hitch I bought from HArbor Freight and to get the tongue on the hitch I have to use a jack to get it low enough. That combination allows the pivot point of my tower to sneak under my door.

Might help you.

kaneboats
06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I used to have to flip my mirror upside down to get it to clear. I would also unhitch and lower all the way. The bottom of the flipped mirror was the highest point and it would rub the rubber seal on the bottom of the door. This was also after adjusting the garage door to open further up the track and clear the door frame.

parrothd
06-03-2014, 10:01 AM
83 inches is the bare minimum without removing air from the tires. I use a drop hitch and you have to lower the mirror.

The stock pivot jack wheel will not go low enough if it's one of the crappy reliable trailers setup. The tongue needs to be a few inches off the ground, 4-5..

You can replace the jack with the heavy duty fullton jack, goes much lower..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

schuylski
06-03-2014, 09:31 PM
As has been said, the stock jack does not go low enough. We use separate hydraulic jack to lower the tongue on to a piano dolly that is only about 3 inches off the ground, flip the mirror, disconnect garage door from opener and push it up higher by jamming in a block of wood. Push her in and mirror just barely grazes rubber seal- I think we get it in under 83 inches- I thought it was 78 inches but not sure.

mdean22
06-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I attached some photos here. I think the garage is a normal height maybe 7 feet. I tried taking the trailer off the hitch and wheelin in by hand, but it still is not that close. The taking the door down manually is a good idea that might work. I really don't want to take air out of tires, because re-inflating every time will be a pain without a compressor. The trailer is the standard one that comes with the boat I believe.

parrothd
06-03-2014, 10:40 PM
But how low was the tongue? You need a drop hitch or a new jack..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KOTXSQ?pc_redir=1401616697&robot_redir=1

mdean22
06-03-2014, 10:44 PM
The tongue was as low as the jack would take it. I can try taking it off that jack wheel and try wheeling it in by hand even lower. Btw did my pictures go through? The red circled part is the highest point on the trailer that won't go in. 20083

parrothd
06-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Yep, the tongue needs to be 4-6 inches off the ground..

patrick232
06-04-2014, 05:37 AM
Part of the issue is the board racks. You should slide them forward. I'll look and see if I have a picture of my old boat.

sandm
06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
buy a new house. gets you a garage and the other half a new bathroom/kitchen.

problem solved on many levels :)

I had a boat that was pushing the limits and a lower ball and hitch did the trick. it's a pita to unhitch/drop/rehitch and put away but if you are real close, should get you the clearance you need.

moombadaze
06-04-2014, 07:34 AM
is the drive way level leading into the garage ?

parrothd
06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Get a storage spot at the lake, you'll save yourself from tearing your hair out..

mnpracing
06-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Is your trailer a single, or double axle? Single will sit higher. I was able to get my 08 LSV in the 7' garage by using the methods above, but I don't think it would have worked with a single axle with larger diameter wheels . My double had 14" wheels. I think the singles are 15 or 16" wheels.

kaneboats
06-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Time to measure the garage door and see if it is even possible.

chawk610
06-04-2014, 11:41 AM
When I used to store my '08 in the garage I had an 8" drop hitch... the tower would clear by 1/2"

mdean22
06-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks yall for all the help. I am going to drive back up there this weekend, and try lowering the hitch a few inches off ground and unlatching garage door and rolling it back. If I need to let air out of tires. I was still a little confused when a couple people on here were saying the mirror was the highest point on the trailer. The pivot point on the tower where it folds in the highest point on this boat by far. If it was the mirror I would just take it off all together. When I go back up there though, I will post pics of it hopefully in the garage ha.

kaneboats
06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
When folded, my mirror attached to the arm mounted to the tower was the highest point, then the tines on a wakeboard rack on one side but not the other (go figure), then the tower itself at the hinge. All within an inch or so of each other though.

This pic shows the first night after we brought it home. Didn't have the mirror arm on it yet. But, we got it through that door by lowering her all the way down on the jack.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10041&d=1268459786

yz 2smoke
06-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I plan on buying a drop hitch but right now I lower the tongue onto a skateboard. It was sketchy the first time I tried it. I do use a block of wood to spread out the load on the skateboard.

Cigars n scotch
06-05-2014, 08:56 PM
I plan on buying a drop hitch but right now I lower the tongue onto a skateboard. It was sketchy the first time I tried it. I do use a block of wood to spread out the load on the skateboard.

Post a pic of that! 10" drop hitch at harbor freight was like $28, easy reassurance. I even started towing with it rather than switching hitches all the time but I am only traveling 10 mins to the lake so it's not bad and I have seen nor heard any problems since.

cornrickey
06-06-2014, 01:30 AM
Remove the wheels asks place the axles oncar dolleys.

Cigars n scotch
06-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Remove the wheels and place the axles on car dolleys. Fixed it for you.

snyderaaron
06-06-2014, 09:08 AM
If anyone needs one I have an 8in drop hitch that I got from harbor freight. Found out I only needed 4 to make it fit. If anyone needs one make me an offer!!