PDA

View Full Version : FAE on 2013 LSV

DaveM
06-02-2014, 06:18 PM
I just added a Fresh Air Exhaust to my 2013 Moomba LSV. Great results, lower exhaust noise and no exhaust fumes while surfing. Project took about 3 hours to install. Not complicated, but you MUST have good drill bits and a saw capable of cutting stainless. Vey happy with the results, I can now cruise at 20mph and have a normal conversation or play music and actually hear it!

They are now included on all new 2014 Nautiques, called Surf Pipe.

moombadaze
06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
good job, feel my fae is one of the best mods ive done so far, love being able to talk to the driver when surfing

spader
06-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I want to have one of these installed but our boat is a tight fit in our garage already when the platform is removed. How far past the wakeplate does it sit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boonejeepin
06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I want to have one of these installed but our boat is a tight fit in our garage already when the platform is removed. How far past the wakeplate does it sit?

4-6 inches.

Cigars n scotch
06-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Looks nice! Where'd you purchase it from?

csm
06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Pretty sure you can only buy directly from the manufacturer. I just ordered one for my '13 LSV, after having one on my '05. I was happy to find out they have a returning customer discount.

I agree with Daze... This was one of the best mods, if not the best that I made on my boat. Not only for the peace of mind, but the sound reduction is awesome. You really can almost talk in a normal voice to people in your boat going 25 mph.

DaveM
06-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Go to Fresh Air Exhaust and their contact info is on the web. Cost is about $500. I'd say it extends out about a foot from the end of the transom. Best modification I"ve done to this boat, quiet and no exhaust smell while surfing. You can acutally hear the water splash behind the boat, no loud exhaust.

spader
06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
I contacted Fresh Air Exhaust and they mentioned that they also have quick release clamps for people that don't have a lot of extra room and need to remove the FAE completely. I am already removing my platform to fit the mondo in the garage but would likely also have to remove the FAE. Has anybody used these quick release clamps. These are in addition to the platform options listed on their website. My worry is that it could move around with the force in the water. If it doesn't this sounds like a solution for me and a mod that I definitely would like to do since everyone says that it's one of the best mods they have done. Our Mondo seems a little loud.

moombadaze
06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
pretty sure mmandley had the quick release on his 08 lsv

996scott
06-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I contacted Fresh Air Exhaust and they mentioned that they also have quick release clamps for people that don't have a lot of extra room and need to remove the FAE completely. I am already removing my platform to fit the mondo in the garage but would likely also have to remove the FAE. Has anybody used these quick release clamps. These are in addition to the platform options listed on their website. My worry is that it could move around with the force in the water. If it doesn't this sounds like a solution for me and a mod that I definitely would like to do since everyone says that it's one of the best mods they have done. Our Mondo seems a little loud.

interested in this as well. I take my platform off every time to get it in the garage and loosing another 6 inches of space for the FAE may be a problem. So there is a quick disconnect to disconnect the FAE from the boat as well as a quick disconnect to disconnect the FAE from the platform?

csm
06-04-2014, 11:08 AM
From what I understand, the quick disconnect is just from the swim platform. You would still have a couple of hose clamps to loosen in order to remove the FAE from the exhaust outlet....

I haven't had the quick disconnects, so maybe someone that has will chime in, but I'm pretty sure it's made so that it can be quickly disconnected from the platform.

spader
06-04-2014, 11:13 AM
From what Christina said these clamps are different than the quick release option they list on the website. Here is her quote

"If you have a clearance issue for storage purposes, we do have quick release clamps that we can use with the Platform Quick Release to completely remove the FAE from the boat. We have several customers where storage has caused this to be a necessity and they are happy with the complete disconnect system."

I have asked for a quote but I was worried about the attachment and how it would hold up.

mmandley
06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Quick Release,

It is only on the swim deck section. The 2 poles that connect the FAE to the swim deck cross bar have a quick release at the top from the plastic top peace.

To release the FAE from your exhaust you just loosen the hose clamp and pull it off. Takes about 5 minutes.

I have had the FAE on the 08 LSV, and I have it for the Mojo. I was using it last summer, since I have upgraded to the 14 swim brackets I have not re-installed the FAE.

Its on my to-do list.

spader
06-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I do believe that the quick release clamps that Christina is talking about are an added cost above what the system normally costs but I have not seen the quote yet and I don't believe they are even listed on the website as an option.

Mike - do you have the quick release clamps that Christina is talking about or just the ones that normally come with the system? She made it sound like the quick release clamps were different but what do I know. I agree it's completely different than the platform quick release.

Just want to make sure I understand all of this prior to purchasing.

Thanks everyone.

mmandley
06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I do believe that the quick release clamps that Christina is talking about are an added cost above what the system normally costs but I have not seen the quote yet and I don't believe they are even listed on the website as an option.

Mike - do you have the quick release clamps that Christina is talking about or just the ones that normally come with the system? She made it sound like the quick release clamps were different but what do I know. I agree it's completely different than the platform quick release.

Thanks everyone.

If she is referring to Clamps, such as Hose clamps then I have not had the pleasure of using them.

I just loosen the band clamps on the hose there the metal pipe has a rubber spacer pipe connecting it to my exhaust outlet.

The quick release for the platform is $40.00 normally, or it has been last 2 times I ordered.

If they are using new Band Clamps that have a quick release function I'm not aware. I will contact her and get more info for you.

trayson
06-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks everyone.

I would imagine that they implemented something like this:

http://www.grainger.com/product/HI-TECH-DURAVENT-Quick-Release-Clamp-2TA48

http://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/full/2TA48_AS01.JPG

mmandley
06-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Those make me nervous LOL. I'd hate for it to pop loose when under way.

trayson
06-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Those make me nervous LOL. I'd hate for it to pop loose when under way.

I'm actually surprised that he still uses the tradiational hose clamps that could strip out easier... Personally, I'd be more in favor of using the T-bolt clamps because those are way more bombproof.

http://www.jscspeed.com/images/catalog/category365_thumb_full.jpg

mmandley
06-04-2014, 01:35 PM
I do like those a lot better, but I Ford has been using those on the Turbo Boots on the Diesels but I was told they only can take so much torque when you tighten them down.

I sent an email off to Christine to fill us in with more details.

trayson
06-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I do like those a lot better, but I Ford has been using those on the Turbo Boots on the Diesels but I was told they only can take so much torque when you tighten them down.

Interesting. my understanding is that the t-bolts can go a LOT tighter than the typical hose clamp style like Larry ships with the FAE. I use the T-bolt ones on the intake of my M3.

996scott
06-04-2014, 04:36 PM
crap, this thread is killing me! It makes me want one bad. Do they do any discounts for the Moomba site at all?

spader
06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
They have had group deals before in the past. I would be in for one if these quick release clamps actually work well.

mmandley
06-04-2014, 06:30 PM
I've set up several group buys, for FAE on here. Normally its 5 people full kits.

If the site wants one I'll ping her and get one started.

DaveM
06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
There is only a quick disconnect from the FAE to the swim plaform, but the FAE is connected to the boat with just one clamp on each exhaust outlet, so essentially a quick disconnect from the boat too. Very easy to remove once installed properly.

996scott
06-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I've set up several group buys, for FAE on here. Normally its 5 people full kits.

If the site wants one I'll ping her and get one started.

what kind of discount did the group buy get?

mmandley
06-04-2014, 08:26 PM

I want to say it was 50-75.

You can contact them, tell them your on the Forum and Mike Mandley referred you, good chance you will get the same discount.

Boonejeepin
06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Option from FAE is for platform quick disconnect. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/qu9y6a3u.jpg
I added t-bolt clamps and I like them better but I need to find a full stainless t-bolt clamp. The bolt rusted right away.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/na8a4uta.jpg

I also have the side mount option.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/3asa7ezy.jpg

trayson
06-04-2014, 11:55 PM

I did a search and the last two threads on this forum were a $50 discount for a group by of 5 people.

uniwarking
06-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm actually surprised that he still uses the tradiational hose clamps that could strip out easier... Personally, I'd be more in favor of using the T-bolt clamps because those are way more bombproof.

http://www.jscspeed.com/images/catalog/category365_thumb_full.jpg

Better yet would be a constant tension style clamp, they also come in t-bolt styles. These are typically used on turbo/exhaust assemblies due to heat and such.

http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/5e6ce5a1-bb31-43bd-87ca-9baecde48884-420.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQzN1gxNjAw/z/9RcAAOxypNtSl9P2/$_57.JPG

jstenger
06-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Anybody install this on a 2014 Moomba with the new brackets?

mikenehrkorn
06-05-2014, 08:40 AM
I got in on the last group buy just before Xmas and the discount was $75. Maybe we had more than 5 buyers??

trayson
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I got in on the last group buy just before Xmas and the discount was $75. Maybe we had more than 5 buyers??

I like the sound of that. $75 packs more of a punch! (although maybe they'll be less inclined to offer up more money in the peak season?)

996scott
06-05-2014, 01:09 PM
I think I would be in if we can get $75 off.

brain_rinse
06-06-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm working on organizing the group buy now and will start a new post and link it here. Typically this is not the right time for a group buy as it's peak season, but I think we can make something happen.

mmandley
06-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm working on organizing the group buy now and will start a new post and link it here. Typically this is not the right time for a group buy as it's peak season, but I think we can make something happen.

I will be in Texas at the Jam, I will be helping to represent and answer any Questions for FAE, what if we pitch the group by at part of the Texas Jam and run the group by through that time frame. Piggy Back it so to speak...

spader
06-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Mike -

Did you ever get additional details from Christina concerning the quick release clamps? Just curious. Thanks

mmandley
06-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Mike -

Did you ever get additional details from Christina concerning the quick release clamps? Just curious. Thanks

Nope never heard back =(

parrothd
06-06-2014, 10:24 PM
What about them? They work, you pull the pins and remove the platform.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

spader
06-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I was not referring to the platform quick release option. Christina from FAE informed me that for owners that have minimal space in their garage, they have sold quick release clamps (not listed as an option on their website) that work in conjunction with the platform quick release pins that allow you to completely remove the FAE. I was just curious if anyone had used these and if they held up because I am not sure if my boat will fit in the garage with one installed. I would really like to install one though if I could easily remove it.

brain_rinse
06-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I will be in Texas at the Jam, I will be helping to represent and answer any Questions for FAE, what if we pitch the group by at part of the Texas Jam and run the group by through that time frame. Piggy Back it so to speak...

That's a great idea

Group Buy link: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24345