PDA

View Full Version : New Mondo

LeeM
06-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Hello all,

Joined up and have been lurking for a couple months ever since I bought a 2014 Mondo. First I'd like to say that this forum has a lot of excellent info and helpful folks on it. Just picked up the boat last week and got done break in on Friday. This is my first inboard(previous boat was an 18 ft I/O) and love it. Having come from an I/O, I've never had anything to do with surfing but wanted to try it. Experimented a little this weekend and can see it's going to take some fiddling to get things right. From my time reading here I know that I'll need to upgrade ballast. Was wondering if I could get wakemakers discount code from someone who has it? Plan on ordering IBS and rear bags( as I understand it the best options that fit are either 750 or 900). Leaning toward 900's right now. Anyone with any experience upgrading mondo bags, I would love to hear what you went with and how it worked out. Looking forward to getting lots of good info and sharing some great experiences. 2005120052

LeeM
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Oops. I guess I put this on here twice. First one I used tapatalk and it didn't look like it went through so I did it again on the forum itself. Lol. Then the other one showed up. Forgive me. New to this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGeorge01
06-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Beautiful boat, congrats!

LeeM
06-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks

Mobius22
06-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow that's a beautiful Mondo and welcome "officially" to the forum! I know some on here have more first hand experience with the Mondo, but I do know that the actual installation of the bags is a breeze. Just unhook your old ones and then plug in the new larger ones and you'll be good to go. IBS is a touch more complicated but adding more weight in the rear with those 900s or 750s will really help the Mondo's wave since it only has stock 400s in the rear. When you have the new bags installed be sure to lengthen your timers on your dash to about 9 minutes since the pumps fill at about 100lbs a minute!

LeeM
06-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks Mobius22. The pictures don't really do it justice. I'll have to post some better ones taken with my camera in better light. Phone doesn't do a very good job. Thanks for the ballast tips as well.

Jwredmon101
06-01-2014, 09:41 PM
900s in the rear will fit .. you dont get the full 900 but its more than 750.. fill your 500 center hard tank.. put nose weight upfront I run about 500 or so .... then I usually have 4 or more in boat .. they sit back surf corner and mid surf side.. 10.4 on speed... wake plate about 60 percent up

LeeM
06-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

marman
06-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Great looking boat! I too have upgraded to 900's in the rear and the 650 ibs from wake makers. The 900's are a tight fit and they flex the wall a little when full so I try to avoid keeping them full even when surfing.

LeeM
06-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Awesome. Thanks Mark. I'm pretty sure the 900's and IBS is the setup I'm going to go with. It seems like the 750's are probably best for hitting the switch and letting it go. But I know there will come a time that I just can't live with the fact that I don't have every possible ounce of water I can get in there.

marman
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
But I know there will come a time that I just can't live with the fact that I don't have every possible ounce of water I can get in there.

That is why I went with the 900's. In some ways I wish I had got the 750's but 150 lbs means a lot when it comes to the goofy side from what I have read. I have to play with my timers a little more and try to get them to around 750 lbs. Then I think I am going to hit it again to fill it up a little more on the side I am surfing on. That way if someone is going to wake board (not me with that much weight back there) I won't have to mess with it. I am telling you with the 900's back there, 500 hard tank, and the 650 ibs the wave is huge. I would seriously hurt myself going at the wake it produces when full.

I did order the check valves last week from wake makers and a spring valve as suggested from this sight. I have always had issues with my rear's never emptying fully. After I install them I hope I can hit the switch to empty and forget it. The ibs requires an extra spring check valve due to the hard tank.

Your going to love the boat. I have been very pleased so far. If only I could stop spending money on upgrades!

mmandley
06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Good looking boat, welcome to the family

LeeM
06-03-2014, 01:22 AM
I did order the check valves last week from wake makers and a spring valve as suggested from this sight. I have always had issues with my rear's never emptying fully. After I install them I hope I can hit the switch to empty and forget it. The ibs requires an extra spring check valve due to the hard tank.

Your going to love the boat. I have been very pleased so far. If only I could stop spending money on upgrades!

I will also be ordering the check valves for all bags and spring check valve for IBS. My rear bags do not empty all the way either. You're not kidding about spending money. My wife has been walking around rolling her eyes ever since i brought it home. Seems like every time I get on here, there's something else I "need". She can't see how when you spend that much money on a boat, you would ever have to spend any more. Ha Ha. Thanks for all the good info. Much appreciated.

LeeM
06-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Good looking boat, welcome to the family

Thanks Mike. And thanks again for the code.

LeeM
06-03-2014, 01:36 AM
As promised. Here are, what I hope to be, some better pics.

Mrd8ker
06-03-2014, 02:44 PM
LeeM - Did you spring for Flow? My apologies if you had already mentioned it. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I am sitting with stock ballast on my Mondo and Flow and debating on whether to go IBS or IBS AND 750's in the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeeM
06-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Mrd8ker- I did get the flow. Didn't spring for it though. Was free promo at the boat show. That is what I was running as well. Stock ballast and flow. Brand new to surfing, so not real sure how it was compared to others. However everything I've read says bigger is better. Which seems to be a rule I live by with just about everything else so why not this too. Lol. I'll be ordering 900s for the rear and an IBS shortly.

LeeM
06-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Sounds like the 750 are a better fit. But for the price I figured might as well have bigger bags and fill them a little less. Then if you need to stuff a little more in there you've got the option.

Buckshot
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Hey Lee, what lake are you at? What's the water temp?....by Whitecourt here, the ice was still on 3wks ago.

LeeM
06-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Live near Provost. So I did break in at Clear Lake south east of Wainwright. Water temp there was 58. Have a place at Clearwater lake near Kyle Sask. That's where the pictures were taken. Water was 67 there. Smaller lake not overly deep either.