PDA

View Full Version : Security??

Nboard10
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I have been considering getting an alarm installed on my boat...and have not been able to find much. I researched this blog and found this thread.
https://forum.moomba.com/read.php?TID=1493

Smokedog had a pretty involved idea..but I am going to be keeping my boat at a sort of secluded marina. The marina really caters to fishermen...and my boat would be the prize pick out there. Especially with the tower/speakers/racks, etc. I will cover it each night, but that will only help in keeping the rain out.....not interested thieves.

Has anyone here installed an alarm on their boat? Pics/Pricing?

Thanks!

smokedog2
04-03-2006, 06:57 PM
If the alarm goes off, how close are you? Once I get robbed I'll likely go with voicealam. They look good to me. I picked up a VCR record system at Radio Shack for the house. It works well.

I would install quick disconects and take those little stealables with me.

SD2

zabooda
04-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I would remove everything from the tower. If not, run a supervisory circuit through your components so when the wire is cut the alarm will activate. There ought to be a system that can call your cell phone plus have an active horn if you want them to leave right away. When I stop at a public dock for the day or overnight, I hide all the goodies before I get there and if I plan to come back I hide them when I leave. Pain in the butt to do but (pardon the pun) with quick disconnects it doesn't take too long. The rack I leave on the boat as it requires an allen wrench that most thieves usually don't carry and the screws are well hidden so at night they wouldn't figure it out until I come along and they ask me and then I give them the 3 Strooges knuckle sandwich. Woop Woop.

Nboard10
04-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Part of the problem is that I live 20 miles from the marina. A cell phone call would be useless for me...I suppose other than to phone the police. The quick disconnect idea is good for everything that would release easily. Part of the reason for getting the dock is to get on and off the water quickly, taking advantage of all the time I can get on the water- after I leave the office. I am assuming that a horn screaming at any punk trying to remove anything from my boat may work. I like the voicealarm idea.
Until I get quick disconnects or an alarm, I may just chain the speakers/racks onto the tower.....classy.

Smrtz
04-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I was looking as well for some type of security devices for boats and located a cool mat, pressure activated system. the very thin mats go on the floor of the boat I guess you would cover them with something and if someone steps inside the boat the pressure of the person in the boat would set it off.. pretty cool I just havent decided on the best answer to the question yet.

I dont know how you would prevent anything from happening when you are that far away from the Marina. I would say bring it with you! Or keep it somewhere they have security

pjtatro
04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I would try something creative like a voice alarm that warns them to leave immediately or face serous injury or death, tell them they have 10 seconds to leave the boat, after the 10 seconds are up use the floor mats send 110 volts coursing throught their body, five 1 second blasts should be sufficient. Another way is to place a couple of "pet" rattlesnakes or cobras in the boat.

Pete:p

Smrtz
04-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Or your mother in law!

NOW THAT would scare even the most hardened criminal away!!!

smokedog2
04-04-2006, 02:06 PM
smrtz

Where did you see the mats?

My boat is ou of sight down the hill from the lake house and I sometimes leave stuff in the boat.

tx

SD2

Smrtz
04-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I just googled boat alarms I will see if I can find it again and post the link when I do

Nboard10
04-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Pete, I love your idea! LOL

Wouldnt it be great to find some would be thief unconscious and sucking his thumb on the floor of your boat? I would probably use Arnold's voice for the voice alarm....GET OOOUUUUTT!!!!

Smrtz, pressure activated matts are a great idea as well....I hope you can find the site again!

pjtatro
04-04-2006, 03:28 PM
This looks cool.

http://www.voicealarm.com/

Nboard10
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I just spoke to a Ken Murray of Flagship Marine Security. He recommended that boats like ours set up with a Deck Sensor. It is similiar to a pressure mat, but without the mat. It gets glued underneath the floor.
You get to custom make your own alarm (sort of) You can have a siren go off and lights when the alarm is activated...even paged when your boat is being broken into.

For a basic set up, Deck sensor, siren, keyless on entry, and all necessary wiring - around $300.00 (just includes sale of items)

For more info:
http://www.boatalarm.com/index.html

If you find something better out there, please post it. I am considering setting something up fairly soon.

Rusten
04-05-2006, 02:38 AM
There are a bunch of GPS options available. My waverunners were recently stolen (and they weren't insured) and I've done a ton of research on the subject. They make lo-jack style GPS systems that do *not* require a monthly fee. You only have to pay when you invoke the tracking (which you would do only once they were stolen). A lot less expensive than the old days too, about $400-$500.

That's the direction I'm going with all marine equipment from now on.

smokedog2
04-05-2006, 07:24 AM
So who are they? Any links?

Nboard10
04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I think that would be a great idea for waverunners....I doubt people take 'accessories' from waverunners...they just steal the waverunner. I am not so concernced with someone stealing my boat as them taking the tower speakers/racks, fat sacks and cover. I don't want to remove those items each time I leave the marina. If they take my boat...my insurance will pick it up...I don't want to have to pay a deductable for the removable items.

Rusten - In your research, have you discovered a way to keep thieves from your boat while it is out of storage and unattended?

Ian Brantford
06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I just spoke to a Ken Murray of Flagship Marine Security. He recommended that boats like ours set up with a Deck Sensor. It is similiar to a pressure mat, but without the mat. It gets glued underneath the floor.
You get to custom make your own alarm (sort of) You can have a siren go off and lights when the alarm is activated...even paged when your boat is being broken into.

For a basic set up, Deck sensor, siren, keyless on entry, and all necessary wiring - around $300.00 (just includes sale of items)

For more info:

If you find something better out there, please post it. I am considering setting something up fairly soon.

Now here's an old thread that is of new interest. I'll have my boat at a cottage for about three weeks this summer. It's right near a couple of resorts and my bright yellow XLV may attract some unwanted attention.

Does anyone have feedback on boatalarm.com's systems?

There used to be another site called voicealarm, but it's out of business (their domain is for sale).

futuredeadguy
06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for posting this Nboard10. This sounds like just what I need.

My boat was robbed this past Friday night, along with several others that share my same dock at Four Corners Marina in Nashville. As far as I can tell so far, they only stole my mirror, which was already removed and sitting in the driver footwell so I could put the cover on, but they had to open the boat cover and board to get to it.

It was just a $70 Cipa factory mirror - it could have been much worse. The also removed the rear seat and opened the transmission cover. It was pretty clear they didn't really have a clue what was really valuable and easy to steal on my boat - Like Perfect Pass. Damn I'm glad they didn't go for that.

I've also been told that a bunch of batteries were stolen earlier in the Spring. Security is pretty good at the marina, it's just that there are losers out there. Always will be, I guess.

Jim

I just spoke to a Ken Murray of Flagship Marine Security....
For more info:

futuredeadguy
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Just placed my order. Thanks, again.

Jim

Thanks for posting this Nboard10. ...
Jim

WaterBullDawg1980
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Jim

That thing is coooool.

Let us know how the install goes for ya! And be sure to take some pics if you dont mind. :)

This may be an option for a group buy.

Reese350
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
For those of you with a lake house with wifi service, I just installed a 4 camera survellience system that records 7 months worth of data. I can also log in from my iPhone/iPad/web browser and keep an eye on things.

So far I love it. Beyond the security measures, I can take a look at my boat on the dock and check out the water conditions from wherever I am in the world. Very cool...

It was very easy to install. I used one from www.lorextechnology.com if you're interested.

wolfeman131
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I want something like this for my lake home. What model did you get?

I'm thinking this would be good. One on the dock looking at boat/water and one somewhere looking at the house.

http://sylvaniastore.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=2083

futuredeadguy
06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I'll post pics. Not sure if it will arrive by this weekend, but if it does I plan to install Saturday.

They offer discounts for any purchase over $350.

Jim

That thing is coooool.

Let us know how the install goes for ya! And be sure to take some pics if you dont mind. :)

This may be an option for a group buy.

Reese350
06-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I bought the Edge Mini DVR:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Edge-mini-video-Security/dp/B003XMA90I/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1307587804&sr=8-29

and this camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-LW2100AC1-Camera-Digital-Wireless/dp/B0047ZH0CA/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1307587954&sr=8-18

Amazon seemed to be the cheapest and buying them seperately was cheaper than buying the package. It was easy to set up and has been working well for nearly a month. It's great for peace of mind.

One word of caution is that the range from the DVR to the wireless camera isn't great. I had to move mine 40-50 feet apart. Other than that, it's been awesome.

sailing217
06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Saw a motion activated camera/dvr option a few years back. Was about $180. Probably on Amazon too and I'd search spy camera motion activated.

Thankfully I'm stored in an open warehouse where most toys are $100k plus so we all respect eachothers stuff

iwaterskihard
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Too bad someone couldn't design a highly valuable SHOCK SYSTEM instead of an alarm - kinda like a taser gun.
You know you activate it remotely when you step off your boat and deactivate prior to boarding. That way not only would you keep your stuff yours..................you might actually teach the stealing b*stards a valuable lesson!

IT HURTS WHEN YOU STEAL!!!!!!! LOL

futuredeadguy
06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
The alarm package arrived today. Here's a pic of what you get with the ski boat package.

http://home.comcast.net/~leutgens/img_13706.jpg

I hope to install this wekend if time allows.

Jim

Jim

Ian Brantford
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
The alarm package arrived today. Here's a pic of what you get with the ski boat package.
[...]

Thanks for posting. I'll be eager to hear more about how it works.