PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Ski?

iwaterskihard
05-28-2014, 01:25 PM
As summer approaches and everyone everywhere should almost be in the water now in North America just wondering what everyone is riding on this year? Did you get a new plank like I did or still riding the same one?
I sold my HO A2 this spring and upgraded to a newer 2013 67" HO A3. It's at home waiting for me to get back there and strap my Radar Strada bindings on it and get back at slaying buoys.
Pics to follow soon! :)

ian ashton
05-28-2014, 05:33 PM
65" Radar Senate
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/29/7ahebumu.jpg

ian ashton
05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
I went from a 2009 Senate to a 2013 Senate - when the colors of my boat changed, Radar made sure to match my ski to it, lol

Mikey
05-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Still skiing my Ho Monza,if i ever get out at all.Would love to upgrade to a new Radar Vapour, Go big or go home.... Way more ski than i need but i figure if i buy one more ski this will likely be the last one i purchase so i want to DREAM BIG....

BTW i still Love my Monza, so does my buddy who is constantly nagging me to sell it to him, But it is a ski i thoroughly enjoy skiing on. Just have it in my head that having a new Top tier ski is gonna make me that much better... I know better but one can Dream..

BensonWdby
05-28-2014, 08:21 PM
2012 A2 HO rubber front with rtp

Mikey
05-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Theres a question i have for some of you. Seems like a lot of the pros are going old school and going back to RTP. Benson you say you are ,were you before and if so how do you like it. I kinda like being locked in in double boots, now that i'm used to them , Yet i grew up RTP and have considered going back. Maybe we should start another thread and take a poll?
Also adding Comments etc?

ian ashton
05-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I destroyed my left knee on a rtp ski. 4 new ligaments, 8 months of physical therapy, and a custom knee brace later and I will never ski without 2 boots again.

TeamAllen
05-29-2014, 12:42 AM
2012 Radar Senate C with double Vector Bindings.

BensonWdby
05-29-2014, 07:34 AM
I learned behind underpowered outboards and in cold water - we almost always did hop-starts from shore. So decades have burned that into me. I have never successfully gotten up with two feet in. I have had two incidents that might have turned out better with duals, one just last weekend. But typically when I fall hard I separate from the ski completely because I use semi soft front foot. If I was using the more modern harder front foot I might be inclined to give duals another shot.

iwaterskihard
05-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Still skiing my Ho Monza,if i ever get out at all.Would love to upgrade to a new Radar Vapour, Go big or go home.... Way more ski than i need but i figure if i buy one more ski this will likely be the last one i purchase so i want to DREAM BIG....

BTW i still Love my Monza, so does my buddy who is constantly nagging me to sell it to him, But it is a ski i thoroughly enjoy skiing on. Just have it in my head that having a new Top tier ski is gonna make me that much better... I know better but one can Dream..

Mikey the Monza was a great ski. You need to get on some new technology dude. You'll be glad you did. I still have my old HO System 8 in my boat house but have since gone through an HO A2 and now riding a 2013 HO A3 and the ski is amazing!
Never rode a Radar but was skiing on neighbors D3 for a couple weeks while my new ski traveled from its former owner to me. The D3 wasn't a bad ski no knocks but this new HO A3 turns like crazy and responds unbelievably quick!
Sell the Monza to your buddy and get out there on a new ride.

For what it's worth I have Radar Strada bindings and love them too. Feel really safe in them with the fact your snug on top of the ski but will come out on a tough crash thus reducing the risk of injury without spending thousands of dollars on hard shells!

skiyaker
05-31-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm still on my 66" radar vice with double strada bindings. I'm liking it a whole lot better since I got some coaching this spring. I also love the strada bindings- enough support but like skihard says they've saved my feet a few times- even without full release the little bit of heel lift you get if you crush a turn really helps prevent injuries.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-01-2014, 07:47 AM
I've recently got the bug to start skiing again.

I use a Kidder Red Line Classic with dual hi-wraps. I love this ski - it's like riding on a rail.

skiyaker
06-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Ed G you should definitely give the redline a rip and save the surfing for the end of the day. The other ski we have that is a ton of fun is the Radar Satori. It's a flat bottomed flexible ski meant to ride at slower (wakeboard) speeds. The getup feels very much like a wakeboard. My guests really enjoy it especially those who either are not in top physical condition or have had injuries that makes it hard to get up on a traditional slalom ski. I was able to get a guy through the course on it that hadn't skied in 15 years because of back issues. My brother who has pins in both wrists rides it too.

slipperyrockTKE300
06-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm gonna do just that - give the 'ole Redline a rip.

However....I don't think I'll be going 36 MPH on the shortest rope like I used to :)

SupraLaunch21V
06-03-2014, 08:11 AM
switched from an O'Brien to an HO Triumph in '13 and in '14 switched to the HO Syndicate S2. Great ski, much more responsive and faster than the Triumph.
http://i.imgur.com/9WggE5d.jpg

Mikey
06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I totally agree. My other ski is a Triumph which is a Nice ski and my newer one is a Monza which was the predecessor to the Syndicate series. My Monza is Fast. Day and night difference between the two skis, Yet i occasionally still like to go back to the Triumph, Slow it down and just concentrate on some of the Mechanics of skiing which is simpler on the Slower ski.

SupraLaunch21V
06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
I totally agree. My other ski is a Triumph which is a Nice ski and my newer one is a Monza which was the predecessor to the Syndicate series. My Monza is Fast. Day and night difference between the two skis, Yet i occasionally still like to go back to the Triumph, Slow it down and just concentrate on some of the Mechanics of skiing which is simpler on the Slower ski.

Exactly. I was at a local competition a few weeks ago and I didn't realize the difference in the two skis and how my body position adapted ( which is bad of course ) to each ski. My normal class Slalom 2nd Class I rode my Syndicate S2 and then a few sets later competed in the wide ride and switched to my Triumph ( since only it met the class measurements ). Holy cow what a difference.

While I think I had better form with the Triumph, i felt like i was dragging kelp or weeds behind the ski. But I would fee more in control and connected while on that ski. It was really hard to ski both skis on the same day, or at least I wasn't used to it. Another ski buddy of mine has the Monza, wicked quick and he loves it. Still, seems like a stable ski when I watched some video of him on the course. Good all purpose lake and course ski.

John

deerfield
06-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Connelly F1X. Gathering dust. Last time I was behind a boat was 2012.

kaneboats
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Use it or lose it, my friend. Gotta find the time and get out there.

Tkosleded
06-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Finally got to try out my oh free ride it was a bit choppy but still s blast 20096

From mooseknuckle sledding lodge
04 outback dd vortec

SupraLaunch21V
06-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Finally got to try out my oh free ride it was a bit choppy but still s blast 20096

04 outback dd vortec
Looks great, always wanted to try that ski and see how it differs from the traditional style. What was really impressive from this initiative / theme was that Marcus Brown started doing pulls with 150' of rope and really getting some wide swings. I think I first saw this on Edged in Water 2. Pretty dang cool if you think about it. . . a 10 second swing instead of only two seconds. How cool! Keep us posted on what you like about it, i may get one just to play around with. JY

Tkosleded
06-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks right now I like that it is lime green and the ski seams real stable and forgiving
Makes me look like a better skier than I am

04 outback dd vortec

skiyaker
06-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Here's my pops- he's in his upper 60s and still skis!

North Woods Mobius
06-14-2014, 10:28 AM

04 outback dd vortec

I just jumped on the HO website and watched that video of Marcus Brown skiing in the kind of conditions and locations that are the EXACT reasons that we bought our lake home and new Moomba! As a 46-year old guy who still loves skiing (but am planning on sufing a lot this summer behind our new Mobius!), 3 years ago a bought new Connelly slalom ski in their "Escape series" - wider tip & tail, parabolic shape, and pretty easy to get up for a 200 lbs dad. While it's fun, based on what I just saw in the video confirms that I need to get my hands on one of THESE bad boys!

I'd love to hear more about the length rope you're uisng and how you feel it handles...... but I'm gonna buy regardless!

Grant M
06-16-2014, 11:19 PM
I picked up a 2012 Radar Vice a couple of years ago as I FINALLY upgraded from my Kidder Redline and it is a real fun fast ski. Still rocking the RTP as I never could get the hang of the dual boot out of the water. I'm 52 and hope I have a few skiis still in me!!!
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14715&d=1338872840

Tkosleded
06-16-2014, 11:23 PM
That kidder brings back. Memory from collage days in 92

04 outback dd vortec

BensonWdby
06-17-2014, 07:35 AM
..... I'm 52 and hope I have a few skiis still in me!!!
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14715&d=1338872840

Grant - I started slalom when I was 16 and did not get my first lesson until I was 53. Since then I have vastly improved my skiing going from 15off at 28 mph to 28 off at 32 mph and taking a serious look at 34mph, best I have ever skied. So I consider 52 as just getting started. Strongly recommend coaching.

iwaterskihard
06-18-2014, 04:27 AM
Grant come on down and visit me and we will get you swerving around some buoys! The ski technology has changed so much it's really amazing. I still own my very first slalom ski and I think I'd be scared to get on it and see where it would or should I say wouldn't take me? LOL
Just look at the difference in the two skis you posted side by side. That Radar looks a little longer, wider, and the binding placement is completely different.
Can't stress enough to everyone on here as Benson says..........seek out some coaching. It's really amazing how we think we are decent skiers in open water then when challenged with trying to chase buoys your whole world comes crashing down and you're instantly humbled at how good you really aren't! A good coach can help you with the littlest of things that you and your friends will never be able to figure out.
With that said and the new skis being what they are...........you have to change how you ski to even think you're skiing a ski to it's full potential.

PatL
06-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Here is my old trusty Connelly Concept...66" I also have a Radar Senate and Several Old HO's...Always find my way back to the Connelly. Really like this ski.20225