PDA

View Full Version : Mondo Ballast

sioux
05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Ran stock ballast last weekend. I would say almost wave that is unsurfable! Wondering if other Mondo owners have replaced ballast and if so what is working good for surf wave?

-Sioux

Jwredmon101
05-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Ran stock ballast last weekend. I would say almost wave that is unsurfable! Wondering if other Mondo owners have replaced ballast and if so what is working good for surf wave?

-Sioux
My best has been 900 in the rear.. 500 center.... 350-400 in the nose and 350-400 on the surf side. had 4 in the boat and had a guy surfing first time up with full slack in the rope.

Mobius22
05-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Stock ballast in the rear compartments of the Mondo is a 400 pound bag on each side. I highly recommend upgrading to at least 750s in the rear and maybe adding an IBS in the bow. The Mondo is a deep boat and needs more weight for it to really get the best wave. I think most Mondo owners have definitely upgraded those rear sacs for sure. All you have to do is snap them in and change the timers on your dash and you should be good to go.

saskyrider
05-28-2014, 03:21 PM
I have made that swap and plan on testing it out this weekend. .. I will post pics of the difference

Sent from my apple crushin android device

patrick232
05-28-2014, 03:41 PM
We tried to surf with the wrong prop. That's what I get for not listening to the great guys here, but the Moomba Rep. You guys are correct the 537 is not the right prop for the Mondo when loaded would not go over 15. The correct prop I hope, should be in Friday. What props are you guys running?

mikenehrkorn
05-28-2014, 03:52 PM
You would probably get better performance with a different prop but I doubt that is causing your "issues" with surfing since you wouldn't really go much over 10 or 11 mph anyway. I think the other guys have it right -- NEED MORE BALLAST!! :)

patrick232
05-28-2014, 04:16 PM
You would probably get better performance with a different prop but I doubt that is causing your "issues" with surfing since you wouldn't really go much over 10 or 11 mph anyway. I think the other guys have it right -- NEED MORE BALLAST!! :)

Mike, I hope the prop fixes the issue. I know surfing is only between 10 and 12 depending on the boat and water way. The bow was so high I had to stand when driving.

mikenehrkorn
05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Maybe some of the experts can chime in about how the prop change might affect your situation, but that sounds like you need an IBS to bring the bow down.

After going back and reading your post again, are you having this issue with stock ballast (400#)? That seems really strange to me.

patrick232
05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
We moved 4 college wrestlers up front to try and bring the bow down.this was with the stock 400 ballast

saskyrider
05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Where did you have your wake plate???

Sent from my apple crushin android device

patrick232
05-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help, but its prop related, when loaded. Boat has no problem with full tanks 1 adult 3 kids other than taking more time to plane. The boat starts with plate down. FYI once again SC and sea ray Cincy correcting the issue with a little money out of my pocket.

mmandley
05-29-2014, 04:10 PM
The reason people are saying the prop is not your issue is because the prop isn't making your wave.

Thats like saying when your headlights are on your car is faster.

Prop only determines acceleration, and top speed.

If you are very nose high, and the Mondo should be similar to Mojo Hull, then it should ride pretty nose low when surfing. I can easily see over my windshield when surfing, I can even look through it while surfing.

Nose high means too much weight, or too fast.

If you are running 400s in the rear, and fill them both up and only fill the center hard tank and your crew sits in the back then you will ride nose high, and the boat wont plane out and thus it only goes 15. < that is a prop issue, because you have over weighted the prop and it cannot get the boat up to plane speed. >

You can also run very nose high if the center tank is not full.

Jwredmon101
05-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Am I missing something on how a prop can help with nose rise?

mmandley
05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Am I missing something on how a prop can help with nose rise?

No if my post led that direction it wasn't intended that way.

My intention was if you over weight the rear of the boat, for surfing or anything, and you can only do 15, your nose will ride high because the prop doesn't supply enough torque to get you on plane.

marman
05-30-2014, 11:31 AM
I have upgraded my Mondo with 900 sumo's in the rear and the 650 ibs from wakemakers. I am no expert at surfing but I am a goofy rider. Mike has made some suggestions which has really helped with my setup. I still don't have it quite right but I am well on the way.

I did have an experienced wakeboarder on the boat last weekend and he said the wakeboard wake was up there with some Mailibu's he has ridden behind. He said it did have a sharp lip on it but he kind of liked it. I am ordering some check valve's today from wakemakers to help with emptying everything out. I really don't know any surfers on lanier or I would have them come out and give me some pointers. One thing is for sure, the ibs makes a huge difference in both the surf wave and wakeboard wake. Now if I could just get it to empty out correctly!

marman
07-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Thought I would show how I handled the cup holders pushing up against the IBS. I removed them like others have done and bought a cutting board at Target and cut it down. Ordered a sticker off ebay and now when I remove my bow filler cushion it looks a little more finished.

saskyrider
07-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Looks good!! I newd to get a bow filler cushion!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
07-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Now if I could just get it to empty out correctly!

Depending on your set up, the check valves should solve your problems with emptying...

marman
07-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Depending on your set up, the check valves should solve your problems with emptying...

I added them a while back and they empty much better. I used the one's from wakemakers on the rear bags and used Joe's, jstenger, method for the front bag/hard tank. I do have a little water left in there after the empty cycle. I typically run the empty cycle on the boat ramp incline and that gets the most of it. I honestly think the check valves aren't completely locking all the air out because they don't "raisin" like others have stated. They get really close though. To check this I put my hand over the outside vent and they will "raisin" then. Some have stated they don't have a drop in theirs after the check valve install. I tend to have a 1/2 gallon or so left in the rears. Not enough to worry about.

ULMboarder
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Can one of yall with the mondo do me a favor?

my mondo comes in soon and i already have a pile of parts here for it, (speakers, amps, extra racks, lights, prop, etc.) I'm turning my attention to the ballast now. I already have the wakemakers piggyback kit for the IBS and 1100lb rear sacs which wont quite fill all the way but will get really close correct? But im stuck on the IBS. I had it in my 07 outback V and it pretty much filled all the way up. But I know there is way more room in the front of the Mondo and I want to get as much weight up there as I can. We are core wakeboarders and will still probably run a 400 top of the seats in the front or a 600 in the walkway and under the bow filler cushion. So can someone measure the inside deminsions of the front seat? specifically from under where the cupholders would be to the extreme nose of the boat? Im looking at the axis A24 bow bag that fills to 950 and wondering if it will get to maybe 850 or 900lbs when filled in the mondo.

saskyrider
07-25-2014, 04:07 AM
The pinch point is at the nose.... the legs have lots of room to completely fill but the nose cannot completely fill up. I would take a look at the 750lb sum sac nose bag that just came out. I think the shape of it might work a bit better. I would be supprised if a 950lb bag would fill up in the mondo... but you could always fill until it pops the seat cushions and then back it off a touch to..

ULMboarder
07-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Thats the plan anyway. I know for sure it wont fill all the way. Im just hoping it will fill up more than an IBS due to the width of the nose. It looks like a much better shape for the Mondo than the IBS would be. The legs also look a lot thicker on the A24 bag. I guess we will see. I went ahead and ordered it last night. At worst it will fill up to the same as the IBS i guess.

marman
07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
I will be interested to see how it works. I was out today with some friends and we were really playing around with the wake while wake boarding. They are core wake boarders also. I typically have been filling the 900's half full with the hard tank and ibs full. This creates a fairly steep ramp which I am still not crazy about. We played around with speeds and it turns out to be less rampy if your running about 23 mph. I not crazy about going that fast because I am 44 and I should really stick to surfing (my knee is on ice as I type due to coming up short on a w2w). When my friends wife went we totally emptied the back and only filled the hard tank and ibs. Put the wake plate all the down and it really flattened it out for her (she has had 10 knee surgeries as a result of a bad landing 8 years ago). I think I would have liked the wake also. She was running 19.5 mph. Keep us up to date on your wake board findings. For me, if I load it up to 2950 lb the speed needs to be around 23 mph. At 20-21 mph (which i try to stick with) is just to steep.