PDA

View Full Version : Water Temps....

tallone31
04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I went out for the first time today......

The water temperature was right at 65 degrees. The lake's a "heated" lake due to a power plant that uses the water to cool the plant, and "dumps" the water into the lake. It's not unhealthy, except for the fact they tell you to limit the amount of fish you eat out of it due to high levels of mercury! In July/August, the water temp's anywhere from 98 to 107.

Anyway, I'm trying to compare with other places. I'm in North Carolina, and 65 degrees feels pretty cold (don't worry, I'm still gettin' in), but I wondered what water temperatures others endure elsewhere. April - August????

waketwowake
04-02-2006, 07:29 AM
What lake in NC are you talking about?

Yellowmobius
04-02-2006, 07:32 AM
We have a "heated" lake here in ND as well. Same deal as you are talking about. My personal best is Feb 1st. Summer we run a river I think the best it gets is about 68.

Buttafewcoe
04-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Lake Hickory NC was 58 degrees as of yesterday.
B

qb12
04-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Here in Tulsa, Lake Skiatook, water temp over the weekend was 52. Air Temp was 82.

Son boarded both days this weekend with a full wetsuit.

Doug

sextons
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I could still walk on the ice on the lake Friday night, it rained all day Sunday so I'm hoping the ice is off in less than a week and then I can drop the boat in, first run of the year the lake will be in the mid 40's....

stang67
04-04-2006, 01:57 PM
last weekend of march we went out water was 48 degrees, after a nice warm week the water jumped to 56. So we are now just wearing wetsuit tops. Its a nice start to the season, only one session with full wetsuits. This is in Annapolis Maryland

Wolf-
04-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by stang67
last weekend of march we went out water was 48 degrees, after a nice warm week the water jumped to 56. So we are now just wearing wetsuit tops. Its a nice start to the season, only one session with full wetsuits. This is in Annapolis Maryland

Water here is hitting upper 50s low 60s in the shallow feeder creeks. Considering a ride this friday with a spring suit on. I had a serious case of pneumonia beginning of January. Recovery has been slow and annoying and while I don't want to relapse the spring fever is starting to burn. :)

stang67
04-04-2006, 02:04 PM
wow wolf- that sounds serious hope your doing better. Spring suit and youll be fine. The wakeboarding bug was getting to me

Heres a few shots from sunday. Thanks for the shots dcwake.com crew!

http://community.webshots.com/album/549175529JBGWhf

qb12
04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Stang, Nice looking photos.

Keep it up.

doug

Smrtz
04-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes solid!

where were the pics taken... we just finished getting about an hour of pouring rain/snow mix... Thats it...IM MOVING!!

Nboard10
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
A group of us went last Thursday...water temp was 42 degrees. You may have read one of my threads.....a buddy ran over the rope and two of us dove for an hour trying to untangle it from the prop/shaft. Wakeboarding in water that cold....but diving/swimming is another thing....

That was our 4th time out this year already. Probably going again this weekend too!

Nboard10
04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
A group of us went last Thursday...water temp was 42 degrees. You may have read one of my threads.....a buddy ran over the rope and two of us dove for an hour trying to untangle it from the prop/shaft. Wakeboarding in water that cold....but diving/swimming is another thing....

That was our 4th time out this year already. Probably going again this weekend too!

stang67
04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. The pictures were taken by Lisa (sivodd) and Wade (Djaili) of dcwake.com (gota give them credit for great shots. The were taken on the severn river in Maryland. Just upriver from Annapolis and the Naval Academy.

42 degrees is some cold water, thats the temp we started out last year. Our water temps just jumped in the past 3 weeks. It was great. And running over ropes are rough, hate having to replace them.

Wolf-
04-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by stang67
wow wolf- that sounds serious hope your doing better.

Heres a few shots from sunday. Thanks for the shots dcwake.com crew!

It was/is serious. 33 year old men shouldn't catch pneumonia. It happens when we think "its just a sore throat" and the strep your kids brought home from school moves south to warmer damper climate of the lung. Anyway, thats all dead now, but 3 weeks out of commission took its toll on muscles and strength.

That being said, your pictures have inspired me. Thursday, packing up the kids, driving the new boat 7 hours to Mt. Dora, FL for 2 days of boarding. Water will be warm. Weather pretty. Gators will be, well, hopefully on the banks.

moombadaze
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
wolf,
why not trailer another 1/2 hour south to the jamboree on the 22nd.
as you know all moomba owners invited

stacy

Wolf-
04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by moombadaze
wolf,
why not trailer another 1/2 hour south to the jamboree on the 22nd.
as you know all moomba owners invited
stacy

I direct a local soccer league and we have full set of games on the 22nd.
Although, if all goes well this weekend (wife/kids/cost/distance) I've got ya'll in the back of my mind. Would love to see some wake surfing off the back of Ed's Jon Boat. Thats got to be a sight to see.

Wolf-
04-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Ed G
Jon boat?

Man, your mental image of me is as wrong as it gets :)

I'm a native of Pittsburgh and a true blue proud northerner. I invaded the south 18 years ago to grab the cheap lakefront real estate.

Really? I'm from Ebensburg, PA over in Cambria County.
Moved to GA for the money and the girls about 15 years ago now. Makes us true carpetbaggers, eh?

tallone31
04-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Belews Lake....

It's about 30 20 miles northwest of Greensboro.

Wolf-
04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Ed G
Ebensburg? My wife did her student teaching at Central Cambria. She is from Johnstown (Oakland). We are both Slippery Rock Alumni.

Water temps in the Harris chain were 78 this week.
Bit choppy at 5-10 mph winds during the day (tubing).
As the sun dropped though, the boarding and skiing commenced.
Fun time was had by all...

...but only after removing the much too young thermostat from the engine because it refused to open at 160 and went to 190 and burned the paint off my yet only 8 hour old risers at the time. Thing looked like its been sitting at the bottom of the atlantic for the last 20 years.

Despite my frustration at needing to do on the lake engine repair on a 8 hour old engine, I'm not angry. Did not allow it to ruin the trip. There is a reason we carry tools with us. Will trust that the dealer and/or manufacturer will make us whole.

So far the guys at Atlanta Marine have done a good job of talking me through this all.
In addition to a spare impeller, will be getting a spare thermo/gasket set as well. Was very careful in removing the thermostat to not damage the gasket and managed to reuse it. Watched temps carefully all day and checked for leaks often. Noted the other guys post about loose hoses. Made sure we tightend the ones we took off to see if the impeller was working.

As we were driving back Sat, VHF radio went off on the dash with severe weather warning. Storms in Tift county. As I looked up, saw the sign for Tifton and all hell broke loose. Cats/dogs/cows/horses/goats and pigs were coming down.

Was a quick long trip, but it was worth it. Wildlife, skiing, and man, that grey Outback looks sweet on the water... *grin*