PDA

View Full Version : DFW folks

aquavette
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Hope this is posted in the best place.

Headed to Lake Ray Roberts tomorrow to check it out. Never been there before. Anyone familiar with it?

(Access at Lake Grapevine is very limited to non existent, and I have no interest in Lake Lewisville. Joe Pool is full, but twice the distance for me. Ray Roberts is about 7' low I am told.)

Thanks.

smorris7
05-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Don't know much about Ray Roberts but I do know 7 foot is dangerously low in any North TX lake. Much safer to drive another 30 to 40 minutes and not have to worry about damaging your boat. It's to early in the season for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bzubke1
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Let us know how it goes. I've never been to Ray Roberts.

aquavette
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Let us know how it goes. I've never been to Ray Roberts.

City or Grapevine reports several ramps still open on the south side of the lake as of today, might consider that option also, as it is minutes from me, and I know the lake well... Easy enough to float off and float on at an unfamiliar ramp...

aquavette
05-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Scouted a few of the open ramps on Grapevine Friday. Local fisherman mentioned that tandem axle trailers were still having success, but warned about dropping off the ramp with a single axle trailer.

He was very familiar with Ray Roberts, and made that recommendation. Went to The state park on Ray Roberts early Sunday. Great ramp, 6 lanes, and deep water. Large open lake, but many coves offer some wind protection, but still a bit choppy. Up close to the dam got good enough water to get the kid some kneeboard practice. Depth readings from 20 to 70 feet deep. Only about a 30 minute drive, so closer than Joe Pool, but park fees are $7 per adult, and 12 and under are free. Really nice park with sandy beach swim area, and lots of activities.

Ray Roberts reports to be 8.2 feet low on Sunday.