PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat Capsize

Beejwest
05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
The hot water shower on my LSV came in super handy yesterday afternoon. A family of four was on their sailboat on Smithville lake north of Kansas City, and it capsized on a bad turn. Two kids 3 and 5 years old and both parents were in the water under and beside boat. We were about 300 yards away surfing when my wife saw it happen. A pontoon got there the same time as us and we plucked the kids out and got hot water going as they were in jeans and sweatshirts soaked in 58° water. The pontoon scooped up the parents and tied off the sailboat so the mast didn't run aground. My surfer was in a wet suit so he jumped in and started grabbing their car keys and wallets. We were able to use the pontoon to flip the sailboat, and then we towed it in with the LSV. Family was OK, the 3 year old girl had a split ear, and a pretty good goose egg on her fore head. Fortunately we had first aid, hot water, dry towels and plenty of tow rope.

Good reminder to keep an eye out for fellow boaters, and always take plenty of tools, rope, first aid, and hot water showers if ya got 'em. Never thought that two weeks after that install I'd be using my shower to warm two purple kids up....

Wish I had thought to snap a few picks once we had the family settled down. Pretty odd sight to see a sailboat upside down.

bergermaister
05-19-2014, 12:57 PM
So glad to hear you were there! Poor kids and parents for that matter! Well played sir. Well played.

saskyrider
05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Great job helping out!! That could have been a real bad situation had no one been around!!

Sent from my apple crushin android device

kaneboats
05-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Nice job. I've got a beer for you when I see you. Good work!

sivs1
05-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Well played! I was just thinking Saturday a hot water shower would be good to install. Was it easy? costly?

irish-racing
05-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Good thing you guys were there. Could have been a lot worse.

Beejwest
05-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Install was super easy and total was about $190. Newty's thread with my write up is here;

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?11756-DIY-Shower-Install&highlight=shower+install

Thanks guys.

sivs1
05-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Install was super easy and total was about $190. Newty's thread with my write up is here;

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?11756-DIY-Shower-Install&highlight=shower+install

Thanks guys.

Super, seeing I'm on water that gets really cold, this would be a good to have item.

Beejwest
05-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah, it's been amazing so far. We fill our wetsuits with hot water before and after skiing/surfing. Makes all the difference.

996scott
05-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Well played! I was just thinking Saturday a hot water shower would be good to install. Was it easy? costly?

sivs1, I just installed mine last year and it is really pretty easy. If you are in Park City, we are pretty close. I am in Salt Lake. You are more than welcome to come by and see how I did mine and I'm happy to give you a hand with the installation. We use our all the time, they are great.

sivs1
05-19-2014, 02:15 PM
sivs1, I just installed mine last year and it is really pretty easy. If you are in Park City, we are pretty close. I am in Salt Lake. You are more than welcome to come by and see how I did mine and I'm happy to give you a hand with the installation. We use our all the time, they are great.

Thanks Scott, very similar boats also. Did you order the parts or just pick them up locally?

sandm
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
karma will come back on ya :)

996scott
05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks Scott, very similar boats also. Did you order the parts or just pick them up locally?

I picked it up from Marine Products, but I would just search around to see who has the best deal on them. I found a better deal through another marine website (can't remember the name) and Marine Product said they would match it.

sivs1
05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
I picked it up from Marine Products, but I would just search around to see who has the best deal on them. I found a better deal through another marine website (can't remember the name) and Marine Product said they would match it.

Sounds good, I'll check them and push for a discount. Thinking this will become top on the list for winter projects next winter.