PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas 2014 mondo trips ignition breaker

patrick232
05-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Our 2014 mondo ran fine for the first 5 hours now whenever I give it throttle it trips the ignition breaker and turns off the motor. Any ideas on what this could be before I pulled out from Lake and take to dealer. I also lost my speedometer and my temperature gauge for water was reading 120. glad I brought it down the weekend before the holiday for this to happen and she should be running next week I hope

saskyrider
05-18-2014, 09:57 AM
This was part of the problem my dealer said my boat had... I was told it needed a different paddle wheel as it was was getting extra voltage it shouldnt and was causing problems... sorry I cant explain better but when he called to tell me I couldnt take the boat home all I really heard was "no boat this weekend extra voktage paddle wheel temp gauge .... blah blah blah... part her next week easy fix"

Sent from my apple crushin android device

patrick232
05-18-2014, 01:06 PM
That's what it was the transducer wires are melted together. Disconteced an she runs. Taking back to dealer ugh.

saskyrider
05-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Crappy... but at least it sounds like a simple fix... or thats what my dealer said

patrick232
05-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Here is the little wires that shut down my boat.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hIqsQT6RhTs/U3kJBwh17dI/AAAAAAAAA54/mB4ISZTH0gQ/w355-h630-no/IMG_20140518_120327037.jpg

Wires from the transducer, She's not sitting at Sea Ray Cincy. Will pick up on way to the lake Friday afternoon

saskyrider
05-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Did u talk to your dealer? R they giving u something different or just replacing?

patrick232
05-19-2014, 03:43 PM
They have the parts on order and have talked with factory to get them asap. I have asked for something for the inconvenience of having to bring the boat back to the dealer from our condo. It's an option i did not check but now wish I had.

dillinle
05-19-2014, 03:49 PM
My 2014 Mojo did the exact same thing at 9 hours. Sea Ray has since let me know that the part is defective from the manufacturer, and the replacements have corrected the issue. I just got my boat back and will see this week if it is fixed. Just saw you had it at Sea Ray Cincy, are you dealing with Jeff at Sea Ray, that's who took care of the issue for me. Also what lake do you boat at, would be nice to meet a few local boat owners

saskyrider
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
So the replacement plug fixes the issue? Thats all is needed?

patrick232
05-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Yes Jeff yourwhe salesman he met me there last night on my way back from Norris Lake to Columbus. We boat and own a condo on Norris Lake in TN. When in OH we boat on Deer Creek and Griggs Reservoir in Columbus. What's your home lake?
No its not just a wire fix its the transducer.

dillinle
05-19-2014, 11:38 PM
We boat on Dale Hollow with a cabin at Wolf River Resort. I am local to Cincinnati and hit up East Fork and Ceasers Creek, when we don't have the boat down south. We do an annual trip to Norris and will be down there Aug. 11 weekend this year. The house we rent is at Flat Hollow. Hope they get you fixed up before this weekend!

patrick232
05-20-2014, 07:33 AM
We boat on Dale Hollow with a cabin at Wolf River Resort. I am local to Cincinnati and hit up East Fork and Ceasers Creek, when we don't have the boat down south. We do an annual trip to Norris and will be down there Aug. 11 weekend this year. The house we rent is at Flat Hollow. Hope they get you fixed up before this weekend!

That time of the year you should have great water by Flat Hollow. If you know the jumping bridge at Norris our condo is just behind there. We rent it out when not using it, do you do the same with your cabin.

saskyrider
05-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Well, talked to dealer today, new transducers showed up today, but they are worried that the old one may have fried my temp gauge... they were going to test and let me know. One way or another i'm getting my boat on friday this week, as they will steal a gauge off a stock boat if needed.

saskyrider
05-20-2014, 05:53 PM
actually works out not to bad as my Exile gear should be here this week as well... ;-)

patrick232
05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
New transducer is installed and boat is ready for pickup. Thanks SC and Sea Racy Cincy.

Jwredmon101
05-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Wonder how many others have had this problem .. Ive got about 14 hours on mine and hope to put several more on this weekend... I hope I dont have the same problem. Or where exactly is this located so that i might check it for melting?

patrick232
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I know of 1 other that is not on this forum. Unclear on the traceability of what boats might have the issue. Mine was in production Mid Feb - Mid March don't know exact dates. The transducer was located just to the right of the transmission, the wires I followed up to unplug are just above it.

Jwredmon101
05-21-2014, 07:03 PM
I know of 1 other that is not on this forum. Unclear on the traceability of what boats might have the issue. Mine was in production Mid Feb - Mid March don't know exact dates. The transducer was located just to the right of the transmission, the wires I followed up to unplug are just above it.
Ty.. Im Going To Check Mine tonight

boater4life
05-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Happened on mine tonight, 8.0 hours on the motor. Watched the temp hit 120°F and then the engine quit when I hit the throttle. Unplugged the connection but no melted wires. My spray date was March 3rd. No speedo just in time for memorial weekend!

saskyrider
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
My boat was made last fall...

patrick232
05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
My wires might have melted since we had to run boat back to slip. the issue is inside the transducer that starts drawing over voltage. it is only Thursday they might be able to overnight on out have an install Friday just in time for the weekend

Jwredmon101
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
So if I unplug it if this happens, It will run fine.. I just wont have gauges?

boater4life
05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Yes, mine ran fine after I unplugged it. I did have to go under the dash and reset the ignition breaker. My digital display does have a funny distortion to it now (can't remember it being there before).

Jwredmon101
05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Called my dealer a few minutes ago. They got a list yesterday of all the boats that might be affected by this problem. Mine was not included in the recall on these parts. Vin number specific. Call your dealers they should know if your on the recall!

patrick232
05-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Yes, once unplugged it runs fine. No speedo or temp

samvq1
05-22-2014, 10:24 AM
I just received my service bulletin today. I will be contacted when the parts arrive.

mcdye
05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I just received my service bulletin today. I will be contacted when the parts arrive.

bulletin about the speed/temp sensor? more details please.

samvq1
05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
5/20/2014
Please note this is a SERVICE BULLETIN and compliance is mandatory
2014 Moomba Speedometer Paddlewheel
Boats effected:
2014 model year Moomba boats manufactured between October 2013 and March 2014. Serial numbers
ending in; J314, K314, L314, A414, B414, C414.
Issue:
The paddlewheel circuit board may be damaged by a voltage spike the ECM can produce and may trip
the engine ignition circuit breaker within the first few hours of operation.
Symptoms:
When the paddlewheel fails it can produce one or more of the following symptoms;
o No speed reading on the dash
o Engine breaker under the dash trips
o Engine shuts down
o Electrical smell in engine well
In order to get the engine running to return the boat, unplug the speedometer pigtail from the harness
located under the transmission cover (Image A) and reset the breaker under the dash. This will allow
the engine to safely restart.
Solution:
Replace the paddlewheel with a newer unit that now has an overvoltage protection chip on the
paddlewheel circuit board within the unit. Skier’s Choice Part number 104634 looks the same as the
original paddlewheel. The overvoltage protected paddlewheel has a manufacture date of 3/14 or
greater on the label affixed to the wiring pigtail (Image B).
Image A Image B
Service Bulletin

mcdye
05-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks Samvg1,

Mine is affected (C414), just lost the speed reading, no other symptoms.

jstenger
05-22-2014, 03:54 PM
5/20/2014
Please note this is a SERVICE BULLETIN and compliance is mandatory
2014 Moomba Speedometer Paddlewheel
Boats effected:
2014 model year Moomba boats manufactured between October 2013 and March 2014. Serial numbers
ending in; J314, K314, L314, A414, B414, C414.
Issue:
The paddlewheel circuit board may be damaged by a voltage spike the ECM can produce and may trip
the engine ignition circuit breaker within the first few hours of operation.
Symptoms:
When the paddlewheel fails it can produce one or more of the following symptoms;
o No speed reading on the dash
o Engine breaker under the dash trips
o Engine shuts down
o Electrical smell in engine well
In order to get the engine running to return the boat, unplug the speedometer pigtail from the harness
located under the transmission cover (Image A) and reset the breaker under the dash. This will allow
the engine to safely restart.
Solution:
Replace the paddlewheel with a newer unit that now has an overvoltage protection chip on the
paddlewheel circuit board within the unit. Skier’s Choice Part number 104634 looks the same as the
original paddlewheel. The overvoltage protected paddlewheel has a manufacture date of 3/14 or
greater on the label affixed to the wiring pigtail (Image B).
Image A Image B
Service Bulletin

Was this posted online? If so, can you provide the link. Thanks.

samvq1
05-22-2014, 04:09 PM
It was not posted online. My boat is affected by the recall and my dealer sent it to me. I have not looked on the Moomba site to see if is posted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jstenger
05-22-2014, 04:15 PM
It was not posted online. My boat is affected by the recall and my dealer sent it to me. I have not looked on the Moomba site to see if is posted.

I checked the Moomba, Skiers Choice, and Dealer Connect websites. Nothing was posted yet.

samvq1
05-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I hope it was ok I posted it. I didn't think about it not being a public release document.

jstenger
05-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I hope it was ok I posted it. I didn't think about it not being a public release document.

Perfectly OK. This forum is our best source of info. I already called my dealer. I was only curious about the article because I wanted to see the pictures.

spader
06-10-2014, 12:32 AM
I think my boat just succumbed to this tonight after around 18 hours on the engine. Temp was at 120, no speed. I was wondering what was going on and then the engine just cut out. I should have been reading this before because we got towed back to the boat ramp but I could have got the engine started again. Will have to call dealer tomorrow. My wires don't appear melted at the white plastic pigtail but the wire leading to the actual black plastic hull mount appears melted and there is a brown fluid around that melted wire. No fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sampp1963
06-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Just got my new Mondo...serial number is C414....
Dealer is checking if my boat is in the list...
Does anyone knows if I have to put the boat out of the water to fix this?? My Mondo is always in the water and I have no truck...shit!!
And I guess I should unplug the pigtail in the meantime I get the new transducer??

jstenger
06-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Just got my new Mondo...serial number is C414....
Dealer is checking if my boat is in the list...
Does anyone knows if I have to put the boat out of the water to fix this?? My Mondo is always in the water and I have no truck...shit!!
And I guess I should unplug the pigtail in the meantime I get the new transducer??
Boat has to be out of the water either on a lift or trailer. Transducer has a short pigtail, and is only held in by a simple plastic ring. Simple to replace.