PDA

View Full Version : Boat inspection

bouldozer
05-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Next week i finalized the purchase of a moomba lsv 2007. I'm gonna him pass inspection and i wonder what's important to check for this type of boat thank

Beejwest
05-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Dozer,
Browse through the service and repair section on the forum here. It should give you a pretty good idea of what you should be looking for. Have you ever owned an inboard before? Boat? I'd start with hours. Anything super high and I'd question if it had been used as a club boat, etc. Then do a visual hull inspection out of the water. Look for gel coat and fiberglass repairs, nicks, dings, etc. Then drop it in a lake, and check each system to make sure it functions like it should, i.e. ballast fills, blower runs, radio sings. Open the engine compartment and check for leaks and listen to make sure it sounds like a Chevy 350 should. Look at the drive shaft seal with the boat running and in gear, it should be dry. Pull the rear bench seat, open the V-drive panel, and check for more leaks. See how much water sits in the bilge. It should be almost or totally dry if you haven't had wet kids and dogs climbing in and out all day, or burping ballast bags. Inspect the trailer for the same basic stuff you would a car. Make sure the axle is aligned within each wheel well, the tires look good, and there is oil in each bearing. Check the fold-a-way tongue hardware for tightness, and wear.

That should about do it.

Beejwest
05-17-2014, 11:58 AM
OH and check the v-drive, transmission, and engine oil.