PDA

View Full Version : check valve for IBS on 14 LSV

nitrodude24
05-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Does both legs on the IBS drain well with out a check valve. I installed my kit from wakemaker earlier and just dont see how the port side drains empty own its own. I ve seen the post about lowes and home depots check valves on older boats. Just wondering what ever body else is doing

parrothd
05-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Does both legs on the IBS drain well with out a check valve. I installed my kit from wakemaker earlier and just dont see how the port side drains empty own its own. I ve seen the post about lowes and home depots check valves on older boats. Just wondering what ever body else is doing

I use the check valve on my IBS installs, it sucks everything down flat...

nitrodude24
05-16-2014, 03:48 PM
What valve do you use?

parrothd
05-16-2014, 03:59 PM
The ones from wakemakers....$13ish?

marman
05-16-2014, 09:23 PM
I installed the one from wakemakers on my Mondo today and gave it a try on the lake. I installed per the instructions from wakemakers and it doesn't completely empty. I had to fiddle with it a little but finally did get the water out. I wish they had told me about the check valve when I ordered everything. I even called to ask about the kit and make sure I didn't need anything else. I guess it works ok but since I have cut everything it may a bear putting the check valve in now. I am a little confused in the picture above. So the gray check valve is going to the hard tank? Or is that the vent heading out the side of the boat?
thanks

gscharf
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
I agree about wakemakers. I added check valves to my order. I still have to set up my bow ballast. With the ibs are you filling/draining from both legs? If so how does water drain from the opposite side. I am just going to throw my old 400s from the rear under the bow seats and t the vent line to each bag. I set the bags in the bow and they fit nicely. What is nice about this setup on the OBV is that i can slide the bags a little further back so they will fill much more.

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk

marman
05-16-2014, 10:31 PM
I agree about wakemakers. I added check valves to my order. I still have to set up my bow ballast. With the ibs are you filling/draining from both legs? If so how does water drain from the opposite side. I am just going to throw my old 400s from the rear under the bow seats and t the vent line to each bag. I set the bags in the bow and they fit nicely. What is nice about this setup on the OBV is that i can slide the bags a little further back so they will fill much more.

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk

I considered using the 400's up front also. But I was worried about the port side draining. I wanted the 900's for surfing and decided to bite the bullet and go for the IBS single bag while I was ordering. It is the one piece sack and I only use the starboard side. It drained ok but there was a little water left in there after the timer turned off. I will have to work on the timing some more. The thing I noticed is they will fill faster than they will empty. Perhaps check valves will aid in all of them draining? I have been reading some more about the check valves and I guess I will be adding them. Everything does work the way it is and I was impressed with the guys at wakemakers also. Really nice and helpful and I guess it doesn't really hurt anything to have a little water left in there. My rear bags from the factory have never drained completely.

saskyrider
06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
OK i'm in the process of trying to tie in my IBS. My questions is as follows... please refer to the pic.

I have sourced 2 brass check valves from my local hardware store for 2 reasons.... one because they are $12.00 vs 39.00 from wakemakers, plus the shipping from wakemakers kills any good deal. I can buy ballast bags from my local dealer way cheaper than from wakemakers. This is how i would install them....

1. take the vent line for the center hard tank and put a "T" in it. the one end of the T goes to the fill port on the IBS the other heads towards the thru hull for the centre tank
2. install a T on the line headed to the thru hull with check Valve #1 situated so it can suck air when needed but no water can get out.
3. the vent line from the IBS bag heads to the thru hull and connects to the main vent line after the first check valve.
4. install check valve #2 right before the thru hull so that water and air can only exit not enter.

If i have this right it will suck the IBS dry then the one check valve will open and allow the centre tank to empty?

sound correct

Woody929
06-03-2014, 04:54 PM
With check valve #1 positioned like you list it, how would you ever vent water? Seems like a good way to flood your boat. Or maybe your drawing doesn't match your description.

I don't have a hard tank, so not sure what you have to do special, but even if you reversed the valves I would think you would suck air before the IBS emptied.

saskyrider
06-03-2014, 05:02 PM
sorry ya the one check valve on the t should be pointed the other way. I was going off of the drawing that jstenger did with his inline check valve... i was just using the hardware store valves instead of the one from wakemakers...

So your thinking that the check valve will start letting air in before the IBS bag empties?

Woody929
06-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Someone with a hard tank will have to answer that because I do think there is something different that has to be done, I just don't know what it is.

As I try to think through the layout as you describe though, I can't wrap my head around the valve you call #1. What is it going suck if the thru hull won't let anything in?

saskyrider
06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I've got it wrong... it should be as follows...

1. run vent line from hard tank into fill port on IBS... vent line from IBS heads out to the thru hull. I then need two check valves. one right next to the thru hull that allows water and air to escape. and another closer to the IBS bag that allows air in when emptying.

The pressure of the check valve that is closer to the IBS will provide enough suction to get all the water out of the far side of the bad that doesn't have the lines connected to it... but will open and allow air into the hard tank as the water leaves it

I think... lol... i'm going nuts on this

mikenehrkorn
06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Check valve #1 only does two things -- stops the incoming air flow when emptying and lets the air/water out when filling.

And that's why you need check valve #2 with a hard tank to let air into the hard tank when emptying.

I don't have the hard tank so I just have the one check valve, but Joe could probably confirm my statements above.

saskyrider
06-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks Mike.. i had an extra connection in my diagram that was not needed....

Woody929
06-03-2014, 05:40 PM
That sounds better. The extra connection was throwing me off :-)

saskyrider
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks Joe!!

DC3Flyer
06-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have the instructions for the IBS installation from wake makers that they could send me? I'd like to see what I'm going to need to do on my 2013 Outback V.

Thanks!

jstenger
06-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have the instructions for the IBS installation from wake makers that they could send me? I'd like to see what I'm going to need to do on my 2013 Outback V.

Thanks!

You need:

(1) IBS
(2) 1" Straight Male Fittings
(2) 1" 90° Female Fittings
(? Feet) 1" Hose
(1) 1" Check Valve
(4) 1" Pinch Clamps

Remove your center bag vent hose from the boat thru hull. Hook that hose to the right side IBS leg. Hook one end of the new hose to the nose of the IBS. Hook the other end and a single check valve to the boat thru hull. Done. Very easy.

gregski
06-09-2014, 11:06 AM
We just tried out the new IBS this weekend. I did not install a check valve yet and figured I'd just "see how it goes". I fully expected that I would have to lift one side of the IBS to get the water to drain out the other side. I was happily surprised that all of the water was sucked out and the bag was nice and flat - no check valve and no "helping" it. I am running Johnson pumps which is probably important as they can produce a vacuum. This probably wouldn't work with aerator pumps. Also, I installed the vent to the top center port/valve (the very front/nose of the bag).

Maybe I just got lucky but I think you might just try running it normal and see what happens.

DC3Flyer
06-09-2014, 04:04 PM
You need:

(1) IBS
(2) 1" Straight Male Fittings
(2) 1" 90° Female Fittings
(? Feet) 1" Hose
(1) 1" Check Valve
(4) 1" Pinch Clamps

Remove your center bag vent hose from the boat thru hull. Hook that hose to the right side IBS leg. Hook one end of the new hose to the nose of the IBS. Hook the other end and a single check valve to the boat thru hull. Done. Very easy.

Thanks Joe!

Sampp1963
06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Must be because I'm french speaking... But IBS??

jstenger
06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Integrated Bow Sac