PDA

View Full Version : Should I run away from this?

TayloC6
05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
I have an acquaintance who has an 08 lsv it's white and blue. He hasn't used it since 2012 just too busy he says with kids. Anyway he said the boat was used as a daily rental on lake Murray by a boat club oil changed every 50 hours. The interior is toast so that has to be redone. The boat club put about 400 hrs on it. He's had it since 2010 and put 300 hrs on it. Has nice system, underwater lights, fat sacks etc. now the bad a friend of his ran it a ground. They filed an insurnace claim and it was repaired including a new prop, drive shaft all the way to the motor, new seals, bottom repaired and painted etc. he claims you can't tell and has put 100 hours on it since then with absolutely no problems. on the hours he claims the boat club hours were mostly cruising and his are all cruising sitting. And tubing his kids they don't wake board or surf.

I wouldn't even consider it but he's only asking 20,000. I would have to redo the interior and his quotes are 3,000-3,500 on that.

Wanted to get your opinion I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He's getting it de-winterized and oil changed next week so no test ride. I know the guy who wrecked it and I know the guy that owns it and don't think he's trying to pull a fast one

kaneboats
05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
That's a tough one. I'd really have to look the boat over. Figure out its value, figure out what you'd like to have it for and then subtract the cost of the professional interior re-do and the value of the down time.

TayloC6
05-14-2014, 08:16 PM
That's why he said 20,000 is as is with me doing the interior. This would be my first inboard after having an I/o. Found this forum through a friend who has an 06 lsv and directed me to this site during my search for a boat. He has invoices from the repairs and like I said lives 10 minutes away and we are decent friends don't think he's lying but the hours plus the damage scares me. Just the price keeps drawing me back

mmandley
05-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't be scared of the hours at that price. If everything is working on the boat, and the Gell Coat isnt cracked or damaged then your most expensive part is the engine.

If a dealer is doing the oil change, contact them and tell them you want them to check it out mechanically and give there thoughts to you on what condition the engine and V drive are in. This might cost you a hundo out of pocket. Nothing when you consider it could save you thousands.

Last thing is close the walk through on the windshield and see if it all lines up pretty tight. This is a tell sign over being abused with power turns and heavy ballast conditions.

700 hours would not scare me on a Idmar 5.7 Chevy small block.

bergermaister
05-15-2014, 10:17 AM
You'd be surprised how many $30-100k boats have had nasty bottom damage and came away from them looking/performing like new. Definitely scope the repair bills and repair work closely along with the mechanicals. Any warranty on the repairs done?

parrothd
05-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't have an issue with the repairs or hours, just make sure you check the title and boat history report. When you go to sell it you'll have to keep this stuff in mind, it will scare off a lot of buyers. Have a marina test everything..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sandm
05-15-2014, 01:32 PM
salvage title, even at 20k would send me walking, otherwise a close inspection, possible water test and it would be mine.

New Guy
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Man that is a tough one after coming from a boat that I put a lot of sweat equity in it I would leave it. The last thing you want to do is spend all summer trying to get your boat ready. This https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24069-2008-Mooma-Mobius-LSV-for-Sale-%28-280hrs%29-St-Joseph-LA-%28Bruin%29-29-500 looks like a much better option even though it is more $$$ I think that you could work on him and the $7-$8k would be worth it in the long run.

EricU
05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Load the ballast up and drive the snot out of it. Put it to test, bring a couple of boat owning friends if you can (not the guy that owns it).

Listen for strange noises/vibrations. Definitely take it to a mechanic and talk to the mechanic that has performed the services.

What else needs to be replaced? How much of a "Zipper Effect" is going to happen, ie. is the $4k interior all that it needs??

How long would you "plan" on keeping it? 1 year or 10 years?

If the boat is sound $24k is cheap for a good tow boat.

New Guy
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
With that said I really did enjoy working on my boat and modding it exactly how I wanted. It was really good to me and it was just time for an upgrade.

jester
05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
I am one that stays away from anything that was a rental or government owned. I have seen what people do to renal boats and they ride them hard up to the point of breaking. "Lets fill up the ballast put out some tubers and see how fast we can go, if we are not in the red we are not having fun" docking the boat is just as much fun "ramming speed"

Now with that being said depending on the deal it might be worth it. I would look over every part of the boat. Load up the ballast and see how she handles.

Remember it will be a few months before you get on the water as all the repairs are done.

If you do get her take lots of before and after. Everyone on the forms enjoys watching the progress on putting a boat back together

beat taco
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Not sure where you live but if close to that other one with 280 hours I would look at it.
Does it have cruise control and a decent stereo?
That will add a few more thousand if you want that stuff.
You can save some money on the interior by taking it apart and removing the skins yourself if you have time and some mechanical skills.
Could you make it through the summer and do the work during the winter?
Considering you can get one with half the hours, no bottom damage, and wasn't a rental for 28-29K I wouldn't pay over 18k. If it has good compression I don't have any issues with the hours or repairs. If you plan on keeping it for a long time your initial investment should stay about the same, whatever money you put into it will probably be lost.

parrothd
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Few months? buy and use it, upholstery can wait till winter.. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

snyderaaron
05-15-2014, 06:04 PM
I am one that stays away from anything that was a rental or government owned. I have seen what people do to renal boats and they ride them hard up to the point of breaking. "Lets fill up the ballast put out some tubers and see how fast we can go, if we are not in the red we are not having fun" docking the boat is just as much fun "ramming speed"

Now with that being said depending on the deal it might be worth it. I would look over every part of the boat. Load up the ballast and see how she handles.

Remember it will be a few months before you get on the water as all the repairs are done.

If you do get her take lots of before and after. Everyone on the forms enjoys watching the progress on putting a boat back together

I remember watching a rental boat trying to be docked and then put on the trailer. After it was left in gear while they were at the dock, I told myself I would never run a rental business. Your stuff gets treated like s***