PDA

View Full Version : LSV surf / wakeboard ballast set up?

ninedriver
05-13-2014, 03:09 PM
I just received a couple of packages to begin the ballast upgrade on my "new to me" 08 LSV.:D I'm going to have an 1100#er in each rear locker, the center ski locker sac that came with my Gravity I system, and an IBS sac. I have a wake plate and gps perfect pass on the boat as well.

So, I'm looking for some good info on how to fill the sacks and adjust the wake plate for wakeboarding as well as surfing. Also, what kind of speeds work best. I've stumbled across a few previous threads but they're mostly a few years old. I figure there's probably some more boats with similar setups as well as some more time for guys to experiment.

Thanks
Steve

Beejwest
05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
I bought an '07 LSV in October. Just started surfing it in April. I upgraded the stock Gravity III to an 1000 lb port locker, and vented it along with an added vent in the stock locker bag. That set up surfs pretty good on standard side with just my wife driving. When I finally got a couple buddies on last weekend on the port side, it threw an awesome wake. I was running 10 mph on a paddlewheel speedo with perfect pass and the wake plate all the way up. When I drop the plate the pocket gets longer but it doesn't feel like it has good enough push. I wish the locker had more room. I don't really want an IBS because it takes up all my storage room up there. I also don't really want to fiddle with a bag and hand pump but may have to, or constantly make sure we bring human ballast to put up front.

I've got a really tall wake with lots of push with my set up now, and it may just be a lot of technique work on my part to be able to get further back. I'm 6'3" and 240lbs on a liquid force fish 5'6".

Beejwest
05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Oh, and I am sort of worried about adding too much more up front as the bow is already pretty low with the current set up. I hate swamping because then I have to dry the carpet, and it's a huge PITA.

REDFIVE48
05-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I just received a couple of packages to begin the ballast upgrade on my "new to me" 08 LSV.:D I'm going to have an 1100#er in each rear locker, the center ski locker sac that came with my Gravity I system, and an IBS sac. I have a wake plate and gps perfect pass on the boat as well.

So, I'm looking for some good info on how to fill the sacks and adjust the wake plate for wakeboarding as well as surfing. Also, what kind of speeds work best. I've stumbled across a few previous threads but they're mostly a few years old. I figure there's probably some more boats with similar setups as well as some more time for guys to experiment.

Thanks
Steve

Think my 06 has the same hull as your 08, here is how I set mine up:
surfing - I only surf on port side (regular). Fill my 1100 lbs sack on the port side and my center GIII sack. I also fill the old GIII port side sack with a portable pump and sit it on the port side rear seat. Wake plate all the way up (nose up) and PP set at about 10.5mph, sometimes I play a couple mph up or down depending on people in the boat.
I have experimented with filling my starboard side GIII locker bag as well, don't think I noticed any difference, so don't normally do it to save strain on the engine/gas.

wakeboarding - I'm not a great jumper so usually only fill my GIII center sack, put the wakeplate at about 1/4 down and PP at about 18.5 - 20 mph. I also have to watch where the passengers are sitting and move them around if they shape the wake weird because they are all on one side or something.

Beejwest
05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
How do you plug the old GIII sack? Mine has two ports fill/drain and would need something to keep the water from sloshing out...

kaneboats
05-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Use one of these. It will allow you to let air out.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w749.html

But you would be happier with cutting the (useless) cooler our of the regular side and putting that bag under the seats. Plumb it into the system. You can use a Y valve like the one below so you can use the pumps from the other side to fill and drain if you want.

http://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

parrothd
05-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Use one of these. It will allow you to let air out.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w749.html

But you would be happier with cutting the (useless) cooler our of the regular side and putting that bag under the seats. Plumb it into the system. You can use a Y valve like the one below so you can use the pumps from the other side to fill and drain if you want.

http://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

Wondering what this dry carpet fad is?

Beejwest
05-14-2014, 07:19 PM
The air release screw in fitting would be nice but the GIII bags just have a welded in quick connect. They don't thread out, so I can't change the fitting. Rained (then hailed) last Saturday on us. Got the boat off the water in time for a pop-up T-storm but could't make it to a cover in time. Fortunately no damage to boat except for soaked carpet.

parrothd
05-14-2014, 07:34 PM
It's glued and you can remove it..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Beejwest
05-14-2014, 09:18 PM
I just looked up the how to video on wakemakers. Suhhhweet!

mmandley
05-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Beejwest

I understand your concerns with the 1100 rear and ski locker bag and now wanting the IBS.
Problem 1 is you are prolly going a bit to slow in the boat.

Along with your heave rear bag set up and tall rampy wave, if you speed the boat up it will also add length to your wave, and that Pocket will get pushed back into the wave as well allowing you to have more push farther back.

2nd issue is the LQ Fish is a slower board for beginners, with a lighter faster board you will be able to surf better with your current setup. With the Fish you cant pump the board or work it back into the wave. its designed to just let you cruise and be forgiving of your mistakes as a newer rider.

Ninedriver when I had my 08 LSV we ran 1100 port, 300 ish star, ski locker and IBS and had a really nice wave at 11 mph. I want to say the tach read around 3300rpm.

I removed the cooler and tried a sac under it but i didn't like how the main panel was flexing under the weight. There is no bracing from your side panel to the floor under the cooler like the rest of the seating area.

Beejwest
05-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks! I have more research to do!

Beejwest
05-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Just scooped up some Irritrol 700 valves, a Tsunami pump, and the fittings for my factory bag I pulled from the port locker. That should drop another 400lbs in the bow and allow me to fill faster in the back. I'll play with speed, wake plate, and ballast position Friday night.

ninedriver
05-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Mmandley
Thanks for the intel. That gives me a great starting point. I figured id need some weight in the starboard bag but had no clue as to how much.
I also read somewhere that about a 60/40 weight distribution. Thoughts?

Beejwest
05-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Sunday was a good day, besides the capsized sailboat. I actually filled my 1000 lb port locker sac all the way up, the vents in all bags allowed me to get water instead of air in the front bag. Had 600 lbs human ballast and a full tank of gas.

I messed with ballast position, speed, and wake plate settings. Seems as though my best wake was about 10.5 with wake plate 1/2 down. I now have a longggg pocket with good push. I find as I get better on the board the pocket lengthens too. I went clear up to 11.5 mph and the wave was crazy long, but light on push. Someone smaller could surf it easy. I can raise the plate and get a HUGE rampy wake, but it's not real long, but it'll darn near shoot you into the back of my LSV. Now I want another board lol. I think I've got the basics, but my LF fish doesn't lock onto the wave really well. I want to try a bunch of boards.

Anyone know where I can test boards?

kaneboats
05-20-2014, 01:23 PM
How is your center bag vented? I've never been able to get mine to vent the way my rear surf bag (750 does). I think it doesn't get full enough to push air through the check valve before it starts popping the ski locker door. Not sure what to do-- I want every bit I can get in the center. Might even add a 1/2 IBS up front to help a little. Can't afford the storage space for the whole thing.

Beejwest
05-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I added a port to the stock GIII bag, and then vented with a check valve from wakemakers. Then when I fill, I open the locker door and run the fill pump until water pours out of the vent. It still pops the door if I don't open it, but at least it's full of water instead of air. I can tell by how it feels and can actually push on bag and hear air burping through the check valve.

rca
05-20-2014, 03:40 PM
My center bag always pops the ski locker. It's tied into my IBS now so I just leave it popped up until the IBS is full and then empty a little to get the ski locker to close.

Beejwest
05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
When I added the third port, even with the 90° port, it adds another inch or two and pushes the door even further open. Worth the extra weight without air in there IMO.

kaneboats
05-20-2014, 04:45 PM
I attached my vent line to the port all the way at the (top) front end of the bag. Doesn't do any good at all. I guess I need to cap that one and add a port where it will hit the ski locker door.

Beejwest
05-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Yeah, sounds like you are fluid locking your vent. I put mine right on top, almost dead center in the bag where the air pools.