PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep water from gathering on your cover?

Wax
05-12-2014, 09:46 AM
I have the snap cover on my 06 LSV, and my new hoist does not have a canopy so my boat will be in the elements this summer (and has been in my driveway for a month). No matter how high I have the middle pole and how tight I have the rear straps, water will always gather on each side of the boat just in front of the rear sun deck. Not only does it seem like it's prematurely wearing the cover near the side snaps due to the weight of the water, but also the water slowly drips through onto the seats/floor. I have been trying to think of a way to prevent this.

My thought, which I stole from a member on here that has that nice old Supra, was use two exercise balls. That is kind of cumbersome to find a spot to put them near the dock where they won't blow away, but it seems like a fairly simple and cheap solution.

Anybody else have a solution for this?

Stazi
05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
You need to suck it up and do what I did.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10347242_10152152643708940_4671294273679362310_n.j pg

Wax
05-12-2014, 10:50 AM
I think that's too rich for my blood right now especially since I'm about a month into a nasty divorce lol. My boss has the same brand hoist as mine with a canopy (regular one, not a "wake tower" one), and he's going to be selling it soon because he's buying his neighbor's hoist sometime this summer. I think I'll buy his hoist, steal the canopy, then sell the hoist (it's only like a 3000# cap). So the plan will be that I will have a canopy at some point this summer. However, until then I'm looking for a cheap solution!

Stazi
05-12-2014, 08:19 PM
I think that's too rich for my blood right now especially since I'm about a month into a nasty divorce lol. My boss has the same brand hoist as mine with a canopy (regular one, not a "wake tower" one), and he's going to be selling it soon because he's buying his neighbor's hoist sometime this summer. I think I'll buy his hoist, steal the canopy, then sell the hoist (it's only like a 3000# cap). So the plan will be that I will have a canopy at some point this summer. However, until then I'm looking for a cheap solution!
Sorry to hear about the divorce. That sux.

patrick232
05-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Exercise balls on the rear bench

Wax
05-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear about the divorce. That sux.

Sucks right now, but I'll be much better off in the end :)

Plus her interest in the boat has reduced significantly the last few years...that's just unacceptable!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Cigars n scotch
05-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Buy a truck bed net to keep them under while on the dock?

Wax
05-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Buy a truck bed net to keep them under while on the dock?

Not a bad idea, thanks! I'm sure I'd figure something out to hold them. Just there HAS to be a better way than exercise balls (even though it's a great idea)!

Cigars n scotch
05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Not a bad idea, thanks! I'm sure I'd figure something out to hold them. Just there HAS to be a better way than exercise balls (even though it's a great idea)!

Most people I know use poles but that exercise ball idea is a pretty good one.

It's cheap while you're working through that mess, good luck.

jmvotto
05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Cheap full boat cover from Walmart, should last til you score the canopy and hoist extensions for your lift

Which hoist do you have ? I have an extra 25 ft by 110 inch wide canopy , needs a little sewing work in one corner.

kaneboats
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
I had to store outside for a couple months two years ago when we were between houses. I cut a couple of cheap wooden closet rods to length and padded the top with rags (a frisbee or something would work too). So I effectively had the pole that came with the cover, two more poles, then the ski pylon all tenting it up. Worked pretty well. I also stuffed the spaces around the tower holes with old WalMart plastic bags. That helped a lot too.

jmvotto
05-13-2014, 10:05 AM
here is a pic of the old canopy

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/IMAG0265-4.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/jmvotto/media/IMAG0265-4.jpg.html)

Wax
05-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Cheap full boat cover from Walmart, should last til you score the canopy and hoist extensions for your lift

Which hoist do you have ? I have an extra 25 ft by 110 inch wide canopy , needs a little sewing work in one corner.

I have a Great Lakes 5000lb cantilever lift.

Wax
05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
I had to store outside for a couple months two years ago when we were between houses. I cut a couple of cheap wooden closet rods to length and padded the top with rags (a frisbee or something would work too). So I effectively had the pole that came with the cover, two more poles, then the ski pylon all tenting it up. Worked pretty well. I also stuffed the spaces around the tower holes with old WalMart plastic bags. That helped a lot too.

I have one pole holding up the fron bow cover, then one as high as it can go for the center of the cockpit cover while still allowing the cover to snap on the sides, and then the ski pylon in the back. For some reason I do have another pole that came with the boat, but I have no idea what it's for other than a spare as I don't see any other snap on the cover, nor even really a place to use it.

With my old boat, The snaps started breaking on the poles. I used some thick plastic cups that were actually cigarette butt things for in your car that I found at Wal-Mart. Worked pretty well except they fell down easily with like a lot of rain or wind, since they weren't being held by a snap or anything on the cover.

Wax
05-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Youth tennis rackets!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/myja2esy.jpg

mrobins
05-15-2014, 06:02 PM
I made up a frame out of plumbing pvc, in 3 pieces so it can be taken apart(top frame in a rectangle, two bases, one sits up by windshield, other on rear bench which remove). Keeps snap tarp high and tight, keeps most water out. It will take a few cuts on bases to get height exactly right.