PDA

View Full Version : a few questions for the experts

13mobiusLSV
05-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey guys, have a few questions for ya. I've only had my 13' LSV out a handful of times and going to be taking it back in for its break in service here pretty soon and want to make sure I have any other problems I may have squared away as well. I'm out of town for work and forgot to grab all my info so I figured I would pester those in the know first.

My swivel rack came unhinged and swung in the other day and nearly took out a friend. I want to say I read something on here (couldn't find it) that the plunger plug or whatever the name is an item recalled by SC.

My wired remote next to the drivers seat no longer displays song/artist/title, now it just says USB when synched up.

The big one I've noticed the last two trips out and the first couple times I thought somehow I kept bumping the lever, but my wakeplate will self adjust to the full down position, when I'll have it nearly all the way up for surfing. I can't seem to trigger it myself but will only catch it after it's happened.

any help or tips are appreciated.

Nick

mmandley
05-10-2014, 11:19 AM
The big one I've noticed the last two trips out and the first couple times I thought somehow I kept bumping the lever, but my wakeplate will self adjust to the full down position, when I'll have it nearly all the way up for surfing. I can't seem to trigger it myself but will only catch it after it's happened.

Nick

Mine in the Mojo has done this since new, they have replaced everything but the actual switch in the steering. Still working through this.

I see it once in a while on Reg surf see it a lot on Goofy

13mobiusLSV
05-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I surf goofy, so that would make sense. Keep me posted if you get a solution. The text on the wired remote worked the first day I had it, and Since then has only displayed USB.

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
2003 Ebbtide Campioné 210
1969 Sea Ray SRV 170

tater
05-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I think this is what you were looking for havent had that happen to us yet but really havent had the racks loaded to the max yet, it will be this summer so we will see, My wake plate does the same thing its annoying but i just reset every time, really not a big issue for me Ill ask the shop about it the next time i go by there The remote might have a loose wire or needs to be replaced they had to put in a new head unit in mine after only a couple trips outs and tell Ron you want to go out with us, the Supra freaks will be back in town the first of June and were going to show some kids how to surf and this time the water should be warm enough to get a set in are self, Jim https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22872-2013-model-swivel-board-racks-service-note

mcdye
05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
My swivel rack came unhinged and swung in the other day and nearly took out a friend. I want to say I read something on here (couldn't find it) that the plunger plug or whatever the name is an item recalled by SC.

My wired remote next to the drivers seat no longer displays song/artist/title, now it just says USB when synched up.

Swivel Rack..There is a service bulletin about them.
"Skiers Choice has identified a potential problem with the 2013 Moomba swivel wakeboard rack. The issue is the depth of the detent for the plunger pin when the rack is locked in the“outside” position. If the plunger pin does not seat deep enough, the rack could swing into the cockpit while underway. The illustration below shows the acceptable gap at the shoulder of the plunger pin and swivel base."

My remote did the same thing, I did a full reset on the radio, as I recall the reset button is behind the display. It will clear everything but it started working again as expected.

marman
05-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Nick

I bought a mondo and had the racks upgraded to swivels and they had this problem. Actually swung around and hit my sister in law in the head! I believe they were the old design. Took them back to the dealer and they replaced the swivel section with the new design. Have tried them out and they work much better. Feel much safer now because while I was waiting for the replacements to come in I was using rope to secure them down to the tower.

patrick232
05-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I have marks on my white tower from them spinning in to far and contacting the tower. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer sent me touch paint since one side was like it when I picked it up. Planning on running the season then dealing with it in the fall.

mcdye
05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I have marks on my white tower from them spinning in to far and contacting the tower. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer sent me touch paint since one side was like it when I picked it up. Planning on running the season then dealing with it in the fall.

They should not hit the tower, I would bet they would warranty swap.

13mobiusLSV
05-15-2014, 11:01 AM
update for the guys with the plate self adjusting. Just got off the phone with the dealer, and believes the plate could be self adjusting when placing the boat in neutral. I guess it's a problem with supra's right now as well. I'm going out sunday and monday and I can let you know if I can reproduce the problem. I've tried countless other things to try and reproduce it, but can't seem to catch it, and this is one I haven't tried (or at least caught in the act)

nick

mmandley
05-15-2014, 11:38 AM
update for the guys with the plate self adjusting. Just got off the phone with the dealer, and believes the plate could be self adjusting when placing the boat in neutral. I guess it's a problem with supra's right now as well. I'm going out sunday and monday and I can let you know if I can reproduce the problem. I've tried countless other things to try and reproduce it, but can't seem to catch it, and this is one I haven't tried (or at least caught in the act)

nick

I will start paying attention when i goto Neutral as well.

LopinLH
05-15-2014, 09:32 PM

I had this issue with my replacement swivel board racks (installed by dealer). The reason for this is because half of the swivel board rack assembly was installed on the wrong side of the tower. Once you remove the section that pivots and swap to the other side of the tower you will not have this problem. Let me know if you need me to post up a pic, but I think once you take it apart you will see what needs to be done. Its an easy fix. My tower got dinged up too, which I wasn't too thrilled about....

LopinLH
05-15-2014, 09:45 PM

nick

My 2013 LSV does this as well. If this is something that occurs only when put into neutral, is this a "problem", or has the manufacturer "designed" the wakeplate to reset to the down position when the boat is put into neutral to help the boat get on plane quicker once back underway? This is just a thought, I am not aware of when mine actually adjusts, I have just noticed my wakeplate being in the down position several times without me manually putting it there.

13mobiusLSV
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
update:

spent all morning at the dealer today for 25 hr service and a few odds/ins for warranty stuff and we got SC on the phone in regards to the wakeplate self adjusting. It seems to be a growing problem and they are learning as we provide them information via the dealer. You have a few scenarios depending on the equipment you have. Back in your back left corner where your pumps are (or were for those of you who have relocated them) there is a PDM (power dist. module) that controls your plate. There are two software loads 33 and 34. If you have load 33 you SHOULD be able to remedy the problem be resetting the breaker just to the left (port) of the engine. Trip that breaker and do not reset it for 8-10 minutes. Basically they call it a hard reset and should fix the problem. Like I said though they are still troubleshooting this fix. For the guys with the 34 load (and you will know by a sticker thats placed right on the front of the PDM), my understanding is that is a bad load and they will replace the whole module. They can troubleshoot the module by hooking up a computer to it and running a self check on it, but alot of the dealers don't have the accessories for it because it isn't a cheap tool and for it having only one specific use they couldn't justify the purchase. I had load 33, so they just tripped the breaker, and unfortunately for me I won't be back out on the water for 1-2 weeks with work, so I can't report back very soon.

hope this helps,

Nick

uniwarking
06-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I sure am glad I saw this thread. I'm having some wakeplate issues as well. I didn't notice it much last year but since we've started surfing I can see that my wakeplate is self adjusting very frequently. I've been surfing regular the past few outings and I've actually seen the gauge move and felt the wave change... I yell it to my wife and she gets upset because she knows she just set it. Occasionally I've noticed that the gauge doesn't always read that it's moved as well. I'll see which load I have...

uniwarking
06-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Well, looks like 34 is my unlucky #...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/01/naqu6e5y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMojo
06-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Same issue here. Was told it IS a recall item that dealer can handle with ease. Check with your local dealer.

2012 Mojo

13mobiusLSV
06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
another update:

I went out last friday for the first time since the "hard reset" on the breaker to the PDM. No idea if it is coincidence or the situation getting worse, but my wakeplate was more erratic that day than the previous 4 combined. I actually caught it moving several times but would then try and reproduce it with that same action (either by steering for throttle input) and would not have any luck at getting it to trigger again. In addition to that now the gauge seems to be malfunctioning. It will re calibrate itself and have a new "up" position on the wakeplate display/guage. At one point the "up" position was where "down" is at and the wakeplate full down was roughly 5:00 o'clock on the gauge. It will re calibrate itself off of key cycles (it happened when switching riders and shutting off the engine). Every few key cycles it would re calibrate correctly to where the true full up position should be from the manufacturer. I called the dealer and they asked me to send a detailed email that they could forward onto the engineers at SC. They told me to bring the boat up for troubleshooting but really had no guarantee on how to fix it. I'm currently shy of a 2 hour drive from them so I'm just going to keep taking more notes to pass onto them and wont go back until I can get more of a concrete solution to the problem. Of course we are headed out for 4 day weekend to dale hollow thursday as these problems continue to get worse.

tater
06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
another update:

I went out last friday for the first time since the "hard reset" on the breaker to the PDM. No idea if it is coincidence or the situation getting worse, but my wakeplate was more erratic that day than the previous 4 combined. I actually caught it moving several times but would then try and reproduce it with that same action (either by steering for throttle input) and would not have any luck at getting it to trigger again. In addition to that now the gauge seems to be malfunctioning. It will re calibrate itself and have a new "up" position on the wakeplate display/guage. At one point the "up" position was where "down" is at and the wakeplate full down was roughly 5:00 o'clock on the gauge. It will re calibrate itself off of key cycles (it happened when switching riders and shutting off the engine). Every few key cycles it would re calibrate correctly to where the true full up position should be from the manufacturer. I called the dealer and they asked me to send a detailed email that they could forward onto the engineers at SC. They told me to bring the boat up for troubleshooting but really had no guarantee on how to fix it. I'm currently shy of a 2 hour drive from them so I'm just going to keep taking more notes to pass onto them and wont go back until I can get more of a concrete solution to the problem. Of course we are headed out for 4 day weekend to dale hollow thursday as these problems continue to get worse.

Welcome to the club..............

moombadaze
06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I will start paying attention when i goto Neutral as well.think that's when it happens, but I don't think my plate actually moves, just the gauge

RickT
06-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I will look into this first thing Tuesday. We updated the Moomba plate to work like the Supra Smart plate, in that if you went to neutral, it would set at 100% down for take off and fast planning. But it should return to your setting. Will investigate, for the issues.

Rick

moombadaze
06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
now im not sure I would do this hard reset. might just live with it for now

uniwarking
06-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Agreed, RickT and the Moomba guys will get it figured out. It amazes me how well SC interacts and works with its customers!

rbeckner27
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
My gauge has been doing the exact same thing since I bought the boat back in September. We were out this weekend and it was doing it in fact the gauge was reading 180deg from where it was supposed to be. After about two days of use and 5 more hrs it seemed to work right, but it seems like every time I take it out the first atleast hr or so the gauge just reads and acts really squirrely. To be honest I have just kinda learned to deal with it and not sweat over it as I can tell where it in in relationship to how the bow is riding and the wake looks, but would be nice to have working right as the boat is still less than a year old.

mikenehrkorn
06-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Mine does much the same -- it's almost become part of my routine to check the position now when starting with each new rider.

mmandley
06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I will look into this first thing Tuesday. We updated the Moomba plate to work like the Supra Smart plate, in that if you went to neutral, it would set at 100% down for take off and fast planning. But it should return to your setting. Will investigate, for the issues.

Rick

Rick I have had this problem since Day 1 of getting my boat. It used to happen more on the Goofy side then regular. Now it happens on both.

It doesn't goto 100% down when I goto Neutral all the time so I don't think mine is programmed for that.

I caught it Sunday when surfing Regular, it went full down while at speed, just as if I was hitting the level.
Another thing it does is when I got to raise the plate, it will stop at 50% then I have to release and engage the lever to get it to 100%.

Very strange indeed.

I will have to contact AWS again to speak with SC about it.

I can tell you AWS is stumped, and I hate to see this problem continue as my boat nears the 2 year warranty time for problems like this.

patrick232
06-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I can tell you AWS is stumped, and I hate to see this problem continue as my boat nears the 2 year warranty time for problems like this.

SC has a fix for that it's called the SC450 and will come with a new warranty. Just Joking

mmandley
06-04-2014, 04:06 PM
SC has a fix for that it's called the SC450 and will come with a new warranty. Just Joking

I will gladly take that as a warranty swap =)

C.Hern5972
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I had both my racks replaced at no cost due to the racks coming unhinged.

13mobiusLSV
06-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Just had a 4 day weekend with the boat after the dealer replaced the PDM in hopes of fixing the wakeplate issue. did not solve any of the previously mentioned problems and in addition to that now also have to hit the lever more than once to get the plate to go fully up. Seems to roughly 50% of the travel before cutting out. I could live with that but the wakeplate self adjusting and the gauge are wearing on me as they are a constant battle when out on the water.

Rick I have had this problem since Day 1 of getting my boat. It used to happen more on the Goofy side then regular. Now it happens on both.

It doesn't goto 100% down when I goto Neutral all the time so I don't think mine is programmed for that.

I caught it Sunday when surfing Regular, it went full down while at speed, just as if I was hitting the level.
Another thing it does is when I got to raise the plate, it will stop at 50% then I have to release and engage the lever to get it to 100%.

Very strange indeed.

I will have to contact AWS again to speak with SC about it.

jzelt
06-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Sounds like there might be a short in the switch or wiring since it is sporadic?

Roger L
06-22-2014, 01:55 PM
It sounds like an issue with the Power distribution module. The automatic plate was introduced for 2014, so yours would be manual for 2013. Please contact your dealer to set up a service appointment so they can inspect the pdm.

tater
06-22-2014, 10:18 PM
It sounds like an issue with the Power distribution module. The automatic plate was introduced for 2014, so yours would be manual for 2013. Please contact your dealer to set up a service appointment so they can inspect the pdm.

Several people have had the PDM replaced the ECM replaced to no aval,this has been an on going problem for over a year an SC still hasnt come up with an solution,my dealer has tried everything and they cant figure it out we just yell at the driver to reset the wakeplate PITA but what can you do.

13mobiusLSV
06-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Definitely something more complicated and deeper than a PDM. I don't really think they have any idea how to fix it at this point. And if they do it's costly and they are looking at other alternatives.

tater
06-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Definitely something more complicated and deeper than a PDM. I don't really think they have any idea how to fix it at this point. And if they do it's costly and they are looking at other alternatives.

Lets try a bigger band-aid,oh wait we already tried that,that didnt work either LOL. I feel ya Nick hang in there.

Stazi
06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
It's pretty retarded that they don't leave something as simple as a wakeplate control out of a computer. They're just asking for trouble. There should be a way to dumb down the whole device and make it operate like the older hydraulic units. All it should require is power and position feedback...I would think these actuatorss have internal protection for when they hit the limits of their stroke.

My company make electrical actuators, so I know that a complicated ECM is unnecessary. All you need to have is power, limit switches on each extreme end of travel with circuit protection connected to those, and then a linear pot to supply position feedback back to the gauge at the helm.

Makes you wonder if these actuators are leaking and there are shorts occurring within the units themselves, which allows them to move by themselves....

13mobiusLSV
06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
20223 there's a picture of my wakeplate Sunday in the up position. Down was about a 6:00 position.

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
1969 Sea Ray SRV 170

uniwarking
06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
What software rev do you all have? I have 34 currently and the dealer is planning to reprogram it to 33 this week. I don't want the problem to get worse....

13mobiusLSV
06-24-2014, 01:31 PM
SC said 34 was a bad load, I can't imagine it being worse than 33. PDM replacement is a waste of time on your end and theirs

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
1969 Sea Ray SRV 170

uniwarking
06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
There could always be multiple failure modes at play here... Hopefully a solution or solutions are found sooner rather than later. For now, my dealer has been instructed to reprogram the PDM and that's what they're planning to do.

13mobiusLSV
07-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Rick

any news on this wakeplate issue rick? just finished a 4 day weekend with my 3rd PDM and still same symptoms and troubles with the plate and gauge.

tater
07-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey Nick,
Maybe we should swing by N3 Boatworks and see what they got LOL,I actually did, they are pretty much sold out of 14's and are taking orders for 15'

13mobiusLSV
08-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Update...again:

Making progress on the WP it now only moves when selected to do so by the driver, this was after the dealer replaced the digital cruise pro.

Still having problems with WP gauge. It likes to still reflect a full down position even with the WP in any other position. All the passengers in the boat loved the frequent stops yesterday when the gauge when move and I would stop to jump out and check the WP position. Calling the dealer today to see if SC will send a new gauge after my findings.