PDA

View Full Version : Newbie summarization

trmaggie98
05-09-2014, 11:07 PM
What's the reason for the Fake a lake? Why not connect all the hoses, plugs and go to the lake and leave the boat on the trailer while you crank it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
05-10-2014, 12:08 AM
So you can run the engine at home if you need:D

MLA
05-10-2014, 07:28 AM
What's the reason for the Fake a lake? Why not connect all the hoses, plugs and go to the lake and leave the boat on the trailer while you crank it up?

So you are not "that guy" blocking a ramp with a boat that wont start. I always like to fire the boat up at home, just to make sure all is OK before loading up and heading to the ramp. I also like to have the boat turn-key ready for spring when finishing the winterizing.

beat taco
05-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Oil changes? I will say I have never gone out for the first time of the season without bringing my engine up to temp and inspecting everything at home first.
I don't have a new boat so maybe I'm more cautious.

Every year on the first really nice Saturday it seems like everyone and their uncle show up with a dead battery and have no idea until their boat is floating sideways at the bottom of the ramp. Charge your batteries!

Cigars n scotch
05-10-2014, 03:11 PM
So you are not "that guy" blocking a ramp with a boat that wont start. I always like to fire the boat up at home, just to make sure all is OK before loading up and heading to the ramp. I also like to have the boat turn-key ready for spring when finishing the winterizing.

Exactly!!! I would say its a smart move for everyone to check the boat at home first, but hey some people are like 2 mins from their river/lake. I am only 10 and I run it at home always.

trmaggie98
05-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Got it all up and going at the house

kaneboats
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
About 42 min. from here to the ramp. Always start at home first.

bergermaister
05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Oil changes? I will say I have never gone out for the first time of the season without bringing my engine up to temp and inspecting everything at home first.
I don't have a new boat so maybe I'm more cautious.

Every year on the first really nice Saturday it seems like everyone and their uncle show up with a dead battery and have no idea until their boat is floating sideways at the bottom of the ramp. Charge your batteries!

^2nd this. I like to work out any bugs or gotchas too. Plus then you don't have to deal with the long look and questions from your kids/wife wondering why you're a dumbass and didn't check things out before you left.

sivs1
05-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I too run things at the house before hitting the dock. I have had my son play with gauges before and leave lights on etc... battery dies, much easier to jump at home then sitting in the water at the dock taking up space. My Stingray took maybe 15 minutes, LSV is about the same. Well worth it. I am only six miles to the dock and still do it.