PDA

View Full Version : New Head Unit

redmondson
05-04-2014, 10:31 PM
What head unit do you guys recommended. I would want a side remote to place by the driver. I use my phone or ipod for music.

Currently i have the stock kendwood.

Appreciate any advice.

bergermaister
05-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Lots of discussion on this topic in the past. Are you strictly using the pod/phone for music and not the HU?

If so several have just gone to an EQ/zone control only (no HU) with the ipod direct into it or via BT.

sivs1
05-05-2014, 11:28 AM
What head unit do you guys recommended. I would want a side remote to place by the driver. I use my phone or ipod for music.

Appreciate any advice.

I just upgraded to this Kenwood unit KDC-BT558U. This had everything I wanted. so far sounds great. Works with both transom and driver mounted controls, has the pre-outs for both amps, even has a jack for a mic, which I don't use.

jyj1189
05-26-2014, 06:14 PM
I just tried to replace the stock Kenwood with a KMR-D558BT. It's the marine version. I can't get it to work with the drivers remote because of the wiring harness. The stock setup used a separate wire outide the harness. The stock setup is split into three other jacks that I don't know where to get and hookup. Any suggestions?

MichiganMoomba
05-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Appreciate any advice.

I'm getting a Clarion M303 with a wireless "waterproof" remote (MF1) put in this week. It's not very expensive and provides lots of options (see links below).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z0TldKrTvaI/p_020M303/Clarion-M303.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020MF1/Clarion-MF1.html?showAll=N&search=clarion_mf1&skipvs=T

bergermaister
05-27-2014, 09:33 AM
I'll be curious to see how you like that remote and how the range is. I run the same HU but have 2 wired remotes. Great setup - no complaints at all. Well except that the remotes require a pretty hefty hole so you better be absolutely sure you know where you want them mounted before you bust out the hole saw.