PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft NXT

smorris7
05-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Has anyone seen this? Mastercraft is introducing a price point boat at 50K.
http://www.mastercraft.com/whatsnxt

Cigars n scotch
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Saw this on WW mentioned the other day. Just watched the vid they have and it's interesting. I still hate that stupid line Mastercraft employs on their boats, you know the one on the sides that goes down almost to a point then shoots back up. So ugly IMO.

jester
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
They have to do something. Notice the ballast capacity is only 845LBS.

bergermaister
05-01-2014, 01:16 PM
So it took them a while to realize not everyone wants to drop $100k on a boat?

I heard the word "young buyer" repeated at least 20 times. Uh, ok.

I hope for their sake their color combinations are not like a few of the peeks that were shown in the vid!

kaneboats
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Agree their styling took a wrong turn a few years back. Funny how they are scrambling to compete with the other mfgs in the "price point" market. Also kind of funny that the el cheapo boat is now $50k.

Mobius22
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Considering what has been posted on WW (Pricing Sheets) it's obvious the "50K All Day" is just a marketing ploy by MC with no actual meaning towards pricing of the boat.

MSRP on just the boat without trailer or virtually ANYTHING is 63K according the pricing sheets that were posted.

When options were added, it was above 80K! For a boat that is smaller, shallower, skinnier, with less ballast, and less standard features than the Mondo. Not to mention, it's not exactly attractive.

This whole marketing ploy by MC is just to reel people in with big flashy "50K All Day" slogans that have literally ZERO merit in regards to the actual pricing.

This boat only has a 91 inch beam and is only a 20 footer! ...not to mention doesn't include trailer or really anything else. I'm sure they will sell a bunch because it says "Mastercraft" on the side, but I for one will be laughing at the people who I see on the lake with one. The word sucker will be flashing across my mind repeatedly. Because I see no reason to purchase this over a Moomba or really any other price point boat besides the fact that it says "Mastercraft" on the side. And that will probably be an optional extra

moombadaze
05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
fugly and cheap looking. MC took a bad turn in the looks dept years ago

but what the heck is option " ready to go package" for $5400.00

mikenehrkorn
05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
but what the heck is option " ready to go package" for $5400.00

That's the stuff you need to make the boat actually usable.......like a prop, steering wheel, seats, etc.!!! :D

zabooda
05-01-2014, 03:12 PM
A price point boat at $50K? So they can justify keeping their other boat prices high? I guess I'm still waiting for the overseas manufactorer that can build a quality boat at a fraction of the cost of US labor.

sivs1
05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Old school Stars and Stripes is the kind of boat MC needs to go back to. By far the best ski boat I have ever skied behind. For me, a "younger buyer" a Moomba is a better deal, hands down. I'll stick with my LSV and when an upgrade is due, Moomba will be my first choice.

996scott
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Funny the guy says this boat is for the young 20-30yr old family "that doesn't have a lot of disposable income". ????? So if you don't have a lot of disposable income you are going to go drop $50K plus on a boat? If my disposable income is tight, and it usually is, I am not going to go buy a new Master Craft boat..

jimmylsv
05-01-2014, 06:21 PM
They tried this around 2005 or 2006 when I was looking for a new boat. I had a Mastercraft and wanted to stick with the brand. The X1 was advertised at $39,995. With the options and trailer it was closer to $49,000.
I ended up purchasing the LSV that I still have for with more options for $41,500 with taxes. No way could I justify the price for a smaller boat with less options. But In reality the boat I have is all I need. I went to boat show in Orlando and the price of wakeboard is completely insane.

Cigars n scotch
05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I saw a mastercraft at the Charlotte show that was $165k or something. Unreal.

I think it ridiculous too that the guy on the vid is saying the market is 20-30something with little disposable income, agree wholeheartedly then that person shouldn't be buying a $50k boat but we all know the country we live in.

sandm
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
lets face it. it's another entry into the budget wakeboard market competing for moomba/axis and all the other entry boat $$. this is just the start for mc in this market if you ask me. 22ft is coming.
it should force everyone to step up their game. advantage is in skiers court as the moomba has been a pricepoint boat for a long time and they have gotten very good at it, but I would hope they are not resting on their laurels and looking for that next new innovative boat...

betting money 4years from now, just like axis and MB, this is no longer a 50k boat but it's 56-60k:)
moomba's advantage will be to be at a competitive pricepoint as they(mc) increase the msrp over the next few years.

motosno963
05-01-2014, 10:42 PM
ill stick to a moomba..if i had to choose between a mondo and NXT, id go mondo..i dont have 60k just for a boat haha..i do need to move it around from my house to the water haha

Suprahunter
05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
lets face it. it's another entry into the budget wakeboard market competing for moomba/axis and all the other entry boat $$. this is just the start for mc in this market if you ask me. 22ft is coming.
it should force everyone to step up their game. advantage is in skiers court as the moomba has been a pricepoint boat for a long time and they have gotten very good at it, but I would hope they are not resting on their laurels and looking for that next new innovative boat...

betting money 4years from now, just like axis and MB, this is no longer a 50k boat but it's 56-60k:)
moomba's advantage will be to be at a competitive pricepoint as they(mc) increase the msrp over the next few years.

It already is . The one sold on Wake World was 63k with a few options and a single axle trailer?

Mobius22
05-02-2014, 09:32 AM
It already is . The one sold on Wake World was 63k with a few options and a single axle trailer?

What's funny is that guy thinks he got such a great deal on a boat that he's never driven, boarded behind, or really even seen. And that boat for all intents and purposes is inferior to the Mondo from a size, storage, styling, and (after seeing that video with Zane) wake perspective.

For 63K you can probably get a Mojo....that just boggles my mind that someone would buy that small of a boat for that much money just because it says MC on the side. The dude hasn't even seen the thing on the water!

motosno963
05-02-2014, 12:40 PM
thats people with money for you..their are people out there who are all for one brand, and if there is a brand new boat coming out, they have to be the first to have it. I dont think its worth the money

Mobius22
05-02-2014, 02:21 PM
thats people with money for you..their are people out there who are all for one brand, and if there is a brand new boat coming out, they have to be the first to have it. I dont think its worth the money

I don't think it's "the people with money" mentality really. I mean this boat is meant to be a budget boat, so the people being targeted are not the millionaires and other status symbol people like most MC owners.

The people that buy this boat are going to just be buying into the classic MC propoganda that their build quality is SO much better and whatever else they want to BS about. The true fact of the matter is that the people who buy this boat probably won't even look at the other brands because if they did then they would know how badly they're getting hosed.

I mean this boat is the same size as the Outback V and yet they want 63K for JUST THE BOAT. No trailer, no options, not even freaking tracking fins.

I just think anyone who buys one of these is just so completely brainwashed by MC that they would drop 60K on it even if it didn't come with an engine.

And that in my opinion, is just freaking sad.

sandm
05-02-2014, 03:29 PM

I'm talking base. 3 years from now we're at 75k for the same 63k boat.

zabooda
05-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I see they went retro with the windshield as it has some similarities to my 1979 Glastron that I had. What's next a Corvette boat. Oh, that's already been done.

Ian Brantford
05-02-2014, 09:54 PM
What you are seeing here is a manufacturer of a premium product trying to go downmarket. They might eventually learn how to do it (like Malibu did with Axis), but it's much easier to do what Skier's Choice did, which was to start at the low end and refine their way up. The latter approach means that you get a lot less fixed costs creeping in throughout the entire organisation.

Mastercraft's effort to build a good-and-cheap boat doesn't seem to be working because they don't know how to do it. Those of us who are old enough to see the Detroit-based car manufacturers try to build small econoboxes in the 70's and 80's have seen it happen before.

beat taco
05-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm reluctant to bash this thing but...! I really need to water test it before I say it's not even an X-9. On paper it isn't. Anyone with the $60-$70K range has so many BETTER options.
People coming from smaller boats know this, many of them love the space in a Mojo. That's when I tell them Rick Tinker is active in these very forums where we talk about these things. And answer any questions or step into help out with a bad dealer or difficult issue.

zabooda
05-02-2014, 11:32 PM
If I go so far to get a new boat, I would rather pay more to get a mainstream boat. I'm not sure I would want the automated parts on the boat. I like some things to stay the same and simple. I'm not one to go with entry level stuff but then I buy every 10-15 years.