PDA

View Full Version : Distributor cap

parrothd
04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have a pic of their distributor handy? Trying to figure out which is pin one for the firing order..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

parrothd
04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
This just does not look right, my other boat is at the marina so I can't check..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/01/3any8y4u.jpg

parrothd
05-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Figured it out.. Thanks

mmandley
05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Technically it doesn't matter if your position 1 is at 9 o'clock and mine is at 3 o'clock

It all depends on when the distributor is installed and you crank the engine and #1 cylinder is on its Power Stroke at top dead center. At that point what ever direction the rotor in the distributor is facing is #1. Then you use the firing order and line up the plug on the cap from there. The only other thing you need to know is does your distributor rotate clock wise or counter clock wise.

parrothd
05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Yea...

I was grasping at straws, just bought a 06 LSV and was having acceleration issues. After rebuilding the carburetor without success this cap seemed to be placed at an odd angel and #1 spot and I was a little panicked. My experience is really 2 cycle, so I spent some time researching on youtube for the install/setup and they mentioned what you said. I was planning to re-time it and then was able to find the real issue. The carb had the wrong power valve, the jets were mixed up and the accelerator arm linkage was tweaked. The arm linkage was the real fix, the nozzle sprayed, just not enough....

Thanks!

mmandley
05-02-2014, 03:24 PM
No problem was just giving you some 411 encase rotating the cap made the issue worse, you wouldn't pull all your hair out. LOL

parrothd
05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
No problem was just giving you some 411 encase rotating the cap made the issue worse, you wouldn't pull all your hair out. LOL

At least now I have my own timing light and timing stickers, those came the day after I fixed it.. :)