PDA

View Full Version : How Steep is too Steep?

sivs1
04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Looking for some advice. Living in the mountains most houses are all on hills. So the question I have, is how steep is too steep for a driveway? Will be backing the boat up the driveway to it's parking spot.

I backed the truck up the driveway without the boat and it seemed steep, but right now I have a flat driveway, so....

Thoughts?

mmandley
04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Hard to say, I had a pretty steep driveway at my last house and the main thing was the trailer prop guard would drag if I went to fast. Also I had a tandem trailer and front axle would come off the ground.

Options are you can get rollers added to the prop guard to allow it to roll if the driveway is to steep.
Also as long as you don't stop when the front axle or rear axle is off the ground for very long you should be fine.

If your a single axle then you want to make sure your axle never leaves the ground. This would cause a lot of stress on the trailer if the only points touching the ground is the prop guard and where it connects to the truck.

sandm
04-16-2014, 07:49 PM
mine isn't very steep at all and my prop guard rubs. knowing some of the slc utah areas, no way Iwould be able to get a boat in some of those driveways.

sivs1
04-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I do have the tandem trailer, so that might help, but am afraid of the prop guard dragging. Great house I might have to pass on because can't get the boat up the driveway, guess I could always take it over and try it out!

kaneboats
04-17-2014, 10:19 AM
I shot down a great house for that reason. I could have done it but I knew I would hate it every time. Not worth it. Plenty of other houses around here.

sivs1
04-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Here is a picture of the driveway. Nice flat area up top, but a climb!

sandm
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
pass. :)

when I bought my last 2 houses, only requirement was a 23ft garage. I passed on several good deals and both agents thought I was crazy. in the end, I'm glad I held out..

sivs1
04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Cool, no need to drag my trailer up the driveway. If I can't do it by myself, then it's a no go for me!

gscharf
04-20-2014, 07:13 AM
What you need to be concered with is the where the road meets the driveway. Once the truck starts up the driveway it will be like being flat. A lot a factors to consider. Ball height length of truck and trailer. I would say try it. Also, it looks to me like there could be some room up by the garage to make a area to swing and try around up top. This way u drive forward both in and out. Do your homework and if it doesnt work dont force yourself into buying.

Sent from my VS890 4G using Tapatalk

Cigars n scotch
04-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Have a picture of where the road meets the driveway? I can't see it from the pic you posted but I am only guessing here there doesn't look to be an actual curb (I could be wrong)? I have somewhat of a steep driveway with a tandem trailer and I make out fine with it, I also have a curb that the prop guard gets very close to but if I angle it then straighten it out it's okay. Do more research on that angle, check it out and try it if you can. Is that driveway dirt/gravel?

yearround
04-20-2014, 10:34 PM
I have a pretty steep driveway. the problem spots are at the crest when the trailer goes in/out of the garage, the spare tire will sometimes drag. also when coming out of driveway to roadway the prop guard may occasionally drag.

I don't think your steep driveway is a problem, possibly the transition at the road.

zabooda
04-21-2014, 03:48 AM
Steep driveways gets old very fast. Everything you do on it is a major PIA. At the end of the day you can collect all your sockets and parts at the end of the driveway. I have a moderately inclined driveway and the trailer doesn't drag but I have a tight parking spot where the truck is exercised pretty good moving the boat. Someday, you may want a motor home, camper or other toys on trailers and they all have a tendency to drag on the ground.

BensonWdby
04-21-2014, 08:06 AM
It is pretty much geometry/algebra. If your driveway was absurdly vertical - say 90 degrees - you clearly would not be able to back into it. So there is obviously a limit to what is possible. If you draw a line from the back of the tire to the lowest part of your trailer - the propguard - that angle should be the steepest angle you can practically approach with the trailer.

Crazy idea. Securely mount a winch inside your garage. Take the trailer off the hitch and lower the the tounge jack as far as it will go. Connect winch to lift eyes on back of trailer and pull it up the driveway.

kaneboats
04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Uh, power winch, not crank I think.

jester
05-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Uh, power winch, not crank I think.

Hand crank all the way. Who does not want to get home at night from a full day on the lake and have another workout to hand crank the boat up the driveway. That is a good idea but that is a lot of work to get the boat into the garage.

sivs1
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
ummm no on the crank or the winch for that matter. Crazy idea and if I had to I could. Ended up passing, great house and all, but for me wasn't worth the possible issues and pain.

cornrickey
05-09-2014, 04:20 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken but that doesn't look bad at all. A little rubbing won't hurt but if you start to unload the suspension on the trailer I would reconsider. Installing a hitch on the front of your vehicle really is a game changer to backing up a difficult driveway or putting the boat into a tight garage. I place mine under a vehicle lift with less than a inch to spare on either side. I did it for a while with my suzuki samurai with a front hitch. Now I do it with my F250 powerstroke.