PDA

View Full Version : Boat Safety Advice Thread

kaneboats
04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
It occurred to me from the tie down thread posted earlier that this thread might be a great idea. If we help each other avoid one accident or one injury this year, it will be worth it. So, post up your best safety advice. We have hundreds of years of boating experience between us. Let's share our knowledge and experience for the common good.

Here's my contribution:

Your winch strap on your trailer is not a tie down; it's just a winch strap. It pulls the boat forward but does not tie it down to the trailer. Use a proper tie down to secure the boat to the trailer at the bow eye and at both points on the transom.

(Let's try not to fill this thread up with posts containing comments only. You can add comments to your post as long as it also contains a point about safety. Thanks!)

saskyrider
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Check the weather! my father in law and uncle in law got caught in a real bad storm when out fishing.. scared them both badly.. be aware of the conditions

Sent from my apple crushin android device

sicktc06
04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Lets point the obvious!

Your head should always be on a swivel. Always being aware of your surroundings will help eliminate accidents.

sivs1
04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Have a calm/clear head. No need to be hot headed while on the boat, launching, cruising, loading. Fun will be had by all.

996scott
04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
1st priority as the driver of the boat is the safety of the rider and those in the boat, not the music or comfort of the other passengers.

patrick232
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Remind all (kids) to remain seated while underway in a calm voice. We had one stand in the bow at the same time I hit the throttle to pull someone up. He looked like a TMT rolling to the back of the boat. Those my age should know what TMT stand for. I'll share later.

boarder3304
04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
While on the topic of kids, this is a good one.

Children under 13 years of age in or on vessels under 26 feet must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved wearable PFD while underway.

That is law. So, no matter how good of a swimmer they are, they need to be wearing a life jacket!

bergermaister
04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
"Here - You are the flagger. It is YOUR responsibility to watch that rider the whole time no matter what else is going on."

"You - you are in charge of the rope. Help get it to the rider. Keep it out of the prop, out of the racks, and away from people's heads"

"You - here's the camera. Get some good pictures and videos"

"You - find out what song(s) the rider wants. We'll let you know if it's too loud or quiet"

"You in the front - you're my spotter for logs or stuff in the water. Keep an eye out and signal me by pointing at it because I can't hear you"

"Ok - you all have your assignments - any questions?"

zabooda
04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Be able to identify someone who is drowning. It's not like what you see on TV. Also, drowning victims go straight down so identify their last known position and rescuers will work within a 45 degree cone of that location. The golden hour is very important and the time is even less in warmer water. The drowning incidences I have been called out to rescue, the people did not watch where the person was so they could not give an accurate location.

In 2007, the last year with complete data, the Centers for Disease Control recorded 682 drowning deaths among children under age 15. And yet, drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death among children in that age bracket, just behind car accidents. Among children under the age of 5, drowning is the leading cause of accidental death.

http://abluteau.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/how-we-drown/

Our organization.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Columbia-Basin-Dive-Rescue/205918992832847#!/pages/Columbia-Basin-Dive-Rescue/205918992832847

mmandley
04-16-2014, 07:06 PM
TIRES

This is especially true for you southern guys in the real heat.

Check your tires EVERY time you go out. When I travel south I see more cars, trucks, and BOATS on the side of the road for blown tires.

Check your tire pressures, check your side walls for cracks, and check your tread for cracks.

When you blow a tire it sucks for you, but you lose control it sucks for everyone in your vehicle and anyone near you on the road when it happens.

snyderaaron
04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
No Powerturns, throttle down when you pick up riders, especially if your carrying lots of balast

Sampp1963
04-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Don't drink and drive...

iwaterskihard
04-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I now live on a private ski lake so this isn't as much of a deal for me anymore as it was when we were still going to and from the lake to play but ALWAYS check all your safety gear and life jackets before you leave to go have fun!!!!!

Stay safe friends!

cornrickey
04-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Bring your own tools, prop and puller. Don't let your failure ruin other boaters day because you ask them to tow you in.

bergermaister
04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
^^ Yes, BUT don't ever shy away from offering to help a fellow boater out. Karma or call it what you want - some day that could be you. Perhaps you get them going again and get to be somebody's hero even for a brief moment.

jpetty3023
04-17-2014, 04:54 PM
I've towed in a few boaters and it's never ruined my day. my safety tip would be bring some tow ropes to help a fellow boater out to make a better day for them

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
04-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Bring plenty of beer so in the event of a break down the party doesn't stop while you wait on a tow!

Sent from my iPhone

BensonWdby
04-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Whenever the prop is spinning ensure the skier and their equipment is in full view of the driver.

Always approach a person in the water on the drivers side of the boat.

With Outboards and Stern Drives - turn off the motor when people are entering/exiting the boat.