PDA

View Full Version : clanking noise...

usaski1
04-13-2014, 08:23 PM
what the heck is this noise? boat runs smooth.. sometimes noise goes away. Strange metallic clanking noise. Im hoping or just some quick adjustment? but???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFz4NXMremU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFz4NXMremU

Mikey
04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Might be a long shot but last season i kinda had a similar noise ,not quite as dramatic. Turns out it was my Impeller. After pulling it out and comparing to my old spare impeller i always carry , it turns out the Noisy Impeller was Slightly longer and musta been rubbing inside.
When comparing the two the Noisy one was about a Heavy 1\16 th or so longer. Same model, numbers etc. That reminds me gotta get that one replaced. Try checking this? Sounds similar.

smitty75
04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Not to derail the thread, but I also noticed my new impeller was about 1/16" longer than the original. Same brand and part #. I didn't notice and noise from it though, just left it in and periodically check for leaks. Seems fine so far.

maxpower220
04-14-2014, 10:22 AM
I assume that you can tell that it is coming from the front of the engine. My first guesses would be the water pump bearing. Followed by the impeller shaft, followed by the impeller itself. Do you have any water leaking behind the impeller housing, even a little?

zabooda
04-14-2014, 11:08 AM
My water pump never leaked water as expected. I was on vacation when it started so I ended up running it to failure. It had that noise at first but it soon became a continous squeal, excessive vibration, pulley disintegration and the eventual pulley failure and the pulley dropping into the bilge.

usaski1
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Everything seems to be pointing to a waterpump issue. I can pull the front plate off the impeller housing, but I bet thats not it.

maxpower220
04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Pull the impeller out. Crank up for a few seconds and see if you still have the noise. That will narrow down/out the impeller.