PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Covers -- FYI...

parrothd
04-07-2014, 12:38 PM
I called for some cover information today and it turns they are backed up.

Ship times are already delayed until July. I'm going to reserve a spot, but not sure if I can wait that long.. :(

zabooda
04-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I had an upholstery shop do mine 10 years ago with the same design as what Evolution uses at a fraction of the cost and better fabric. Check around. Mine should be good for another 10 years and it is kept outside all year long.

mmandley
04-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I called for some cover information today and it turns they are backed up.

Ship times are already delayed until July. I'm going to reserve a spot, but not sure if I can wait that long.. :(

Hes a 1 man show, he only makes an average of 1 cover per day.
You have to book up early in the off season.

Sorry

smitty75
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm in the same situation, looking like end of June for mine. I put in my order early last week.

gregski
04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
I bought a cover by Westland covers, it's their "sharkskin plus". I was happy with this cover on my old boat and so far, I'm happy with the new one. I got it from Overtons; Westland is also available from all of the big websites like boatcoversdirect, iboats, barts, basspro, etc.

I got it on sale for under $400 and it arrived in about a week (late last fall). I know the evolution covers are supposed to be the best but...

parrothd
04-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Was just surprised,

Haven't officially bought the new boat I've been looking at so I can't commit to anything.

I tow a lot so I'll probably just have to wait till July..

saskyrider
04-07-2014, 02:59 PM
without a doubt the best money i spent on my old boat! Cory was so awesome to deal with to. IMO its worth the wait and the money

zabooda
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Looks like a good business to get into.

patrick232
04-07-2014, 04:25 PM
The factory cover from Moomba fits the Mondo like a glove. They even have the slots for the pop up cleats.

uniwarking
04-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Ive been happy with my factory cover so far on the MOJO as well. I got my boat from dealer stock so I didn't have to think about it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
The factory cover from Moomba fits the Mondo like a glove. They even have the slots for the pop up cleats.

I hope it fits better then my Mojo cover did.

I got the factory cover originally also. it fit real nice, looked real nice.
Then I towed it home. Saw a few light rub marks on the nose, and gunnel behind the tower, didn't think much of it.
Towed it to Exile, Kingpin, back to Exile, then home. Apx 100 miles.

Nose all scratched up, gunnels look like they got wet sanded.

Evolution covered ordered. I towed the boat to Seattle area to Cory and had him fit it.

Dealer had to buff out entire top deck to get rid of the scratches. Maybe its because I have a grey boat, IDK but for me the factory cover wasn't going to cut it.

beat taco
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
We've run Saran Wrap (get a big roll) around the top deck before putting the cover on to prevent factory covers from rubbing the gel.

EricU
04-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Cory's covers are the bomb! Fit perfect and work awesome.

He made the cover for my '02 and didn't have a template for my new boat, so I had one made locally (NorCal), the local one cost twice as much and it fits like a POS. I have to take it back after spending WAYYYY TOO much.

If you can, use Cory. Wait until you have to, it is worth it. Nothing like spending that much on a boat and having to use Saran Wrap!!! Reminds me of an old girlfriend....

wolfeman131
04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
From page 24 of your Owner's Manual:

"Your mooring cover is not designed for trailering. Trailering with your cover installed may cause premature cover failure and boat damage. This damage is not warrantable."

jstenger
04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
What makes the Evolution covers trailerable and the factory ones not trailerable?

tater
04-07-2014, 11:48 PM
What makes the Evolution covers trailerable and the factory ones not trailerable?

Better Fit and Alot better material,Like Drew said the factory cover is for mooring not trailering.

kaneboats
04-08-2014, 12:21 AM

I understand the answer to this question is "Cory".

Don't have one. Just speaking from experience learned on here.

zabooda
04-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Sole source supplier of a product that can be made with child labor? In America? I don't think so.

patrick232
04-08-2014, 08:51 AM

"Your mooring cover is not designed for trailering. Trailering with your cover installed may cause premature cover failure and boat damage. This damage is not warrantable."

Wonder what cover they car calling the mooring cover. just double checked and mine is not called mooring

jstenger
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
I went to the website, but I didn't see any pricing info. Anyone know the cost for a 2014 LSV cover?

mmandley
04-08-2014, 10:12 AM

Yup that's true, but in my case living in the PNW I'm not towing my boat in the rain.
The older covers like my LSV was not a tow cover but I towed limited times with it.

The supra line he's always had a better quality and fit cover. I think Moomba line is adapting this now.

Evolution covers run from 900 up depending on how many options you want.

Options like mine has, color of main material color inserts to match my strip, embroidery done on the front and back. Tower strap.

saskyrider
04-08-2014, 10:27 AM

I'm surprised about this... i always thought a cover was for both storage and towing. I never once had the slightest of a blemish from my evolution cover and i always towed with it on. to get to my lake i have to drive about 6 miles of gravel... the inside of the boat will be covered in dust. However i won't tow with my factory cover on the new boat i guess...

Anyone ever had a cushion blow out or anything like that when towing in a wind?

mikenehrkorn
04-08-2014, 10:40 AM
You can find several opinions on that in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?11401-unreasonable-fear-of-flying-seats&highlight=cushion+blow

uniwarking
04-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Yep, cushion behind driver seat came up but luckily stayed in the boat. I've heard of others loosing theirs... Some have added Velcro or button straps.

If it's raining, I tow mine with the factory cover but I take it slow on the back roads.

I had a really nice button on travel cover in my last rig, tower with it for 5 years and it never did any damage. It was made by a local shop... Have seriously been thinking of getting one for the Mojo. The factory cover is very good when it's sitting still.

ninedriver
04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
If you're even considering a cover for your boat, give Corey from Evolution covers a call. Before I bought my boat, I heavily researched covers as my boat will unfortunately have to be stored outside on occasion. An Evolution cover was the first thing I purchased after buying my 'new to me' LSV. It is without a doubt one of the best investments you can make for your boat. The quality, fit, and craftsmanship is unparalleled. He will take his time answering any questions and explaining how his cover works. And, it looks plain awesome. I've had friends with other boats spend upwards of $600, sometimes more, on other 'high end' covers that gap, wrinkle, leak, pool rain, sag, etc. Plus, you can tow across the country with the Evolution cover. For me that's huge as I typically tow about 45 min to the lake. So, no worry about cushions, towels, bags, etc blowing out of the boat.
I am in no way affiliated with Corey or Evolution Covers, however, I am so impressed with his product, his customer service, and his small business American made product that I wanted to share.
Having said that, I know it's a bit of a wait, but soooo worth it!

mcdye
04-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Anyone ever had a cushion blow out or anything like that when towing in a wind?

I towed a Mondo for my dealer, had it not been for the straps, I am sure the the 2 rear corner cushions would have gone air born. Towing a '14 Mojo and the 2 rear corner cushions stayed in place, did make sure the straps were fastened too. :)

tater
04-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Yup that's true, but in my case living in the PNW I'm not towing my boat in the rain.
The older covers like my LSV was not a tow cover but I towed limited times with it.

The supra line he's always had a better quality and fit cover. I think Moomba line is adapting this now.

Evolution covers run from 900 up depending on how many options you want.

Options like mine has, color of main material color inserts to match my strip, embroidery done on the front and back. Tower strap.

I think my dealer told me that this year Supra has a Tower down road cover that goes over the tower as well,if thats the case thats pretty cool,I know Nautique has had this option for a while.

New Guy
04-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Since we are on the conversation of covers does anyone have the snap covers? I really like the idea of isolating the bow for those cold Wisconsin days. I hate the idea of buttons but I am willing to sacrifice for towable, separate covers.

zabooda
04-08-2014, 06:39 PM
I've have one for the bow and cockpit. The bow cover stays in the boat as you never know when you need it. Besides keeping the air off of you when it is cool out, I use it when a storm comes in and put the little ones up front, out of the rain and give them a heat tube. It is also nice when to go to a public dock and you want to conceal some stuff.

uniwarking
04-09-2014, 07:19 AM
I have the bow cover as well, works quite nice on the cooler days if you have a smaller crew.

kaneboats
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I have the two snap covers. I never towed with them on till I read a thread on here where guys said they do it all the time. Been using the covers on the way to vacations b/c there is so much in the boat. They work great. Very easy to get on and off and to store.

patrick232
04-09-2014, 10:41 AM
I have the two snap covers. I never towed with them on till I read a thread on here where guys said they do it all the time. Been using the covers on the way to vacations b/c there is so much in the boat. They work great. Very easy to get on and off and to store.

Just make sure you don't get wax on the snaps. The cover tends not to stay snapped, yes I learned the hard way.

uniwarking
04-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I have to amend my previous post. The factory cover is junk. You can't trailer with it, the seams are popping and even with the anti pooling circus tent poles and webbing in place... It channels all the water right to the tower base and into the boat. It's a good cover for mooring under a roof and that's it.

I'm not sure what to do, Corey is now out to Aug. My local shop makes a good snap on cover but it will certainly leave marks over time on the darker gel. And, he's $100 more.

EricU
04-20-2014, 02:10 PM
...I'm not sure what to do, Corey is now out to Aug. My local shop makes a good snap on cover but it will certainly leave marks over time on the darker gel. And, he's $100 more...

Corey made a beautiful cover for my '02, but didn't have a pattern for my new boat.

I ended up having a local guy make one and;

It cost twice as much
Doesn't fit right
I have to take it back to him to have him fix it

If you can, I would make do and wait for Corey, I wish I had. There's always the nice blue tarps from HD for a few months.

In the long run, a few months is worth the wait.

EricU
04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
...If you can, I would make do and wait for Corey, I wish I had. There's always the nice blue tarps from HD for a few months.

In the long run, a few months is worth the wait.

I just realized who the OP is! And now I am changing my reply to;

Make your own!!

parrothd
04-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Sure, send me your evolution cover so I can take it apart, I'll send it back. .lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

spyder
08-31-2014, 04:25 PM
I am going to order one for my LSV this winter. Can anyone post pictures of the evolution on the LSV? Also pictures with cleats cut out and perhaps the tower tab?

Thanks.