PDA

View Full Version : mobius V trailor

pike1990
05-14-2003, 02:43 PM
I have a mobius V and it has a tandium trailor with surge brakes. When i back up the boat, the trailor brakes lock up. There is a place on the side of the tounge, where you can put a bolt. The problem is, you cant't stick the bolt in a hole. It is to sit in a slot that is about 1/8th of an inch deep. I have to hold it there with a bungie cord and it constitantly falls out and the brakes activate. Any thoughts or ideas on how to do this more effectivaly. thanks

Yellowmobius
05-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Do you have a flat 5 trailer light connector? I have a 2001 Mobius in a single axle trailer. My trailer came with a flat 5 connector, when I backup the fifth with electronicly disengages the brakes.

pike1990
05-14-2003, 03:43 PM
WOW! I just ran out and checked and my truck is set up with a four plug and my boat does have a five. When I plug the five into the four, all the lights and stuff work fine and the fifth plug just hangs over and does not plug into anything. I bet this is the problem. What will I need to change on my truck? I have a 2001 chevy 2500 4 door desiel. It has a big round trailor plug and i bought a 4 plug adaptor that pluged into it.

MartyC
05-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Just go to uhaul or another hitch shop and they can set you up with a 5-prong. I had it added to my suburban. Cost about $30. I now have the 4-prong and the 5-prong. Once you get that done, you should not have any problem.

jburnside
05-15-2003, 10:11 AM
On my Ford F150 I also have a round plug connector. It's a 7 - pin connector. I bought my adapter from Gander Mountain, it is a 7 round to a 5 flat ($17.99). I thought everything would be fine but I ended-up having the same problem as you have described. Luckily my dealer provided a lock-out key with my new rig (2003 Outback LS, single axle trailer) so I could use the trailer until I fixed the problem. Turns out that the truck dealer was supposed to install the back-up light relay in the power distribution box under the hood of my truck. At least they left the relay in the glove-box. Make sure you have the proper relay installed in your tow vehicle and ask your dealer for a lock-out key, it works much better than a bolt. Good luck.

noneya
05-15-2003, 10:26 AM
You can also take the 4 plug, turn on your lights and turn the plug around so that pin 2 sits in the pin 5 (I think) slot, the lights will activate the surge breakes. If you want to add the 5 plug yourself the 5th is just wired to the reverse lights.

iparky
05-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Your 2001 HD already is wired for the trailer back up lights, located near your trailer plug will be wires wrapped up with a color code tag wrapped around it. find the correct wire (i think the white one) and then pull your plug reciever apart and put the wire in the appropriate location. then make a trip down to your local auto parts chain store and get a large round plug to 5 flat adapter. leave the adapter on your trailer and this will solve all of your problems. The little D shaped tool to back up with out a flat five should be retained and wire tied to the front of your trailer for easy access in case you have someone else launch your boat and they dont have a 5 flat connector.

enjoy easy backing.

Catdog1
05-25-2003, 07:35 AM
How does the brake lock-out work? My trailer has mechanical surge brakes. Are you saying that there is some sort of solenoid buried in the tongue that prevents them from actuating when backing-up? After 4 years of struggles this would be a Eureka thing for me.

Lake Bound
05-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Yes, there is a solenoid buried in the tongue that deactivates the brakes when the towed vehicles reverse lights are on. Since you already have a 7 pin round on your truck, go to your boat dealer or trailer supply and buy an adaptor from 7 round to 5 flat. Probably no more than $15.00. Happy Boating.