PDA

View Full Version : The audio is in!

Mrd8ker
04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
The audio is in! Sounds great. Sub is under the helm. Cabin speakers powered by one amp, tower and sub powered by another. Custom audio control box installed for independent volume control for each area (tower, cabin, sub) to the left of the steering wheel.

By the way, it sounds like there is limited space under the helm for the subwoofer. If you go with heaters on your '14 Mondo, there is a heater fan that has to be moved 6" to make room for the sub.

For those in the OR/WA area. Kingpin Audio in Wilsonville did a great job.

mikenehrkorn
04-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Looks great, but i hope you don't have any tall riders cause they might be bumping into those two middle speakers on the tower. :)

2013 Outback V
2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

bergermaister
04-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Schweeeet! I'll go ahead and admit - I've never heard of Hertz speakers before.

( but I've rented cars from them a few times :wink: )

David Analog
04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Schweeeet! I'll go ahead and admit - I've never heard of Hertz speakers before.

( but I've rented cars from them a few times :wink: )

Hertz is under the same umbrella as Audison. Hertz and Audison have some really good sounding speakers.

Mrd8ker
04-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Good thing I am only 6'2". I am pretty sure that I will just always have a helmet on. May also look at clustering two on each side leaving a bigger gap in the middle.

jstenger
04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I do not see any speaker wires on the upper passenger side of the tower. Are all the wires coming up the driver's side, or did they drill a hole thru the tube on the passenger side and plug it?

irish-racing
04-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Looks great. Bet it sounds awesome! I want to upgrade all my speakers to exile next off season. Need to find a shop around here that can do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

saskyrider
04-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Can you poat a pic of the sub Install please...

Sent from my apple crushin android device

mcdye
04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I do not see any speaker wires on the upper passenger side of the tower. Are all the wires coming up the driver's side, or did they drill a hole thru the tube on the passenger side and plug it?

What he said...I thought about drilling thru, but was worried if it would weaken the stucture. I zoomed and does not appear to be a jumper from the upright to the cross bar.

uniwarking
04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
A few pictures of your sub would be helpful as well (front an behind) if you've got them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater
04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Looks great. Bet it sounds awesome! I want to upgrade all my speakers to exile next off season. Need to find a shop around here that can do it.

Don at Aqua Marine can do the install,he did my Exile amps and tower speakers,did a really nice job.

irish-racing
04-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Don at Aqua Marine can do the install,he did my Exile amps and tower speakers,did a really nice job.

Thanks tater. I wasn't sure if the did that at aqua marine or not.

Sampp1963
04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
The audio is in! Sounds great. Sub is under the helm. Cabin speakers powered by one amp, tower and sub powered by another. Custom audio control box installed for independent volume control for each area (tower, cabin, sub) to the left of the steering wheel.

By the way, it sounds like there is limited space under the helm for the subwoofer. If you go with heaters on your '14 Mondo, there is a heater fan that has to be moved 6" to make room for the sub.

For those in the OR/WA area. Kingpin Audio in Wilsonville did a great job.

Would love see pics for the sub...front and back...cause I will get my new 2014 Mondo soon and I'm planning on installing sub and amp...
You're installation looks great.. Good job

chawk610
04-07-2014, 12:38 PM
I would risk a few head knocks for that set up.

Mrd8ker
04-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Here you go. Sorry for the delay guys.

Carpeted partition above footrest

Partition removed

Lefthand bracket

Rear of sub (taken from storage locker under portside bow cushion facing stern)

ian ashton
04-12-2014, 04:06 PM
I like the knob installation! Is that zone controller and sub volume?

jstenger
04-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Can you tell us about the tower wires?

Mrd8ker
04-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Independent control of tower, sub, and cabin. Purchased the ZLD but I am being told that Exile discontinued them and the replacement won't be available until May/June. This was a placeholder but I kind of like it. Blends into the dash really well.

mmandley
04-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Independent control of tower, sub, and cabin. Purchased the ZLD but I am being told that Exile discontinued them and the replacement won't be available until May/June. This was a placeholder but I kind of like it. Blends into the dash really well.

Mrd8ker do they have the ramp all fixed? Also are you going to be on Hagg tomorrow?

Not exactly Discontinued, they sold out of the old version, a New one has been made and its even better then the old. Pre-Ordering is available and they should arrive in a couple weeks.

And Yes I have a new one ordered...Sheesh Y'all know this!!! LOL

Mrd8ker
04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Wires climb the tower from the portside only.

Mike - ramp fixed? Are talking about Hagg? Had to put in at far ramp last Sunday (Ramp C?) because the closest was closed.

We are probably going to go out but aren't sure where yet. Considering braving the Willy.

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

mmandley
04-12-2014, 06:21 PM

Mike - ramp fixed? Are talking about Hagg? Had to put in at far ramp last Sunday (Ramp C?) because the closest was closed.

We are probably going to go out but aren't sure where yet. Considering braving the Willy.

Yea Ramp A was damaged, the anchors holding the ramp steady broke.

Ramp C is the one with 2 docks, I personally don't like that one.

Your a braver man than me at the Willy.
Also don't forget, no wake enhancing devices are allowed in the Newburg area.
Ohh Yea the River if about 7-10 degrees colder then Hagg.

jstenger
04-12-2014, 09:48 PM
How did they get the wires into the rear cross bar? I didn't think there was a hole drilled into it from the factory.

Mrd8ker
04-12-2014, 10:33 PM
I don't see that a hole was drilled. It appears there was access already. There are two holes on the bottom of the rear cross member that have grommets installed (approx 1" from down tube on both sides). Didn't look that close before I sent it for audio to see if it came from the factory that way. If you need more pictures, let me know.

Woody929
04-13-2014, 02:07 AM
After literally just finishing my install on my 4 towers on my regular OZ tower, I could see where it would be possible to run the wire up the port side, through the front cross bar, then cross back through the rear crossbar from the starboard side. I thought about it, but couldn't get my fish tape under (or over) the bimini sleeves on the front if the tower. Instead I ran a line up both sides of the tower. The port side only feeds 1 speaker and the starboard run feeds 3. I'm not sure why they have access in the starboard side of that rear crossbar only.

jstenger
04-13-2014, 10:10 AM
I wonder if they went up the front tube and over to the starboard side on Mrd8ker's boat. With the larger tubing on the OZ HD, I think it would be a lot easier to get the wires past the bimini sleeves.

Sampp1963
04-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Here you go. Sorry for the delay guys.

Carpeted partition above footrest

Partition removed

Lefthand bracket

Rear of sub (taken from storage locker under portside bow cushion facing stern)

Thanks fur the pic.... So the sub is facing down? It won't show from the carpet panel??

Mrd8ker
04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Yes, sub is facing down. Carpet panel fully covers the sub.

Sampp1963
04-13-2014, 08:28 PM
And ok, one more question....is there a passage from starboard to port side for the wires?

Woody929
04-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes. If you look in your center locker, you will see it. You will have to put your head in the locker to see it. The main bus wires travel through it.

Sampp1963
04-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes. If you look in your center locker, you will see it. You will have to put your head in the locker to see it. The main bus wires travel through it.

Ok thanks.

mcdye
04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Ok thanks.

This is not the case with a Mondo since there is no center locker. You have to go around the bow or drop down the hole where the battery cables are, come across in front of the gas tank, then up on the driver side. You can lift up the center floor and see how they ran wires across from the factory. I run my sub power wires this route and the WS420 wires around the bow.

mcdye
04-14-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure why they have access in the starboard side of that rear crossbar only. XTP drills it prior to welding so they can run the tower light wire.... Why in the heck they dont do it on the port is very frustating...

Brianinpdx
04-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Congrats on the Stereo - Looks very nice. From the pictures, I'm guessing King Pin installed? Looks like their install area. I might have missed it someplace if it was mentioned.

In anycase, hopefully I'll see you on the water.

Cheers!

-Brian / Exile

Sampp1963
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
This is not the case with a Mondo since there is no center locker. You have to go around the bow or drop down the hole where the battery cables are, come across in front of the gas tank, then up on the driver side. You can lift up the center floor and see how they ran wires across from the factory. I run my sub power wires this route and the WS420 wires around the bow.

Well I guess it will be easier to go around the bow...that's how I did it on my outback 2006..
Mrd8kr....you have a Mondo? Centre locker?

patrick232
04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
How bad would an open air sub sound on the panel under the helm? My wife keeps giving me strange looks when I talk about spending more money on the new boat. Looking to go with a Kicker 11KM10 between this and an amp I'm under a few hundred.

David Analog
04-18-2014, 02:33 PM
How bad would an open air sub sound on the panel under the helm? My wife keeps giving me strange looks when I talk about spending more money on the new boat. Looking to go with a Kicker 11KM10 between this and an amp I'm under a few hundred.

That's a decent sub that is kind of a quasi infinite baffle. It will definitely work as a free-air woofer with a slight reduction in power handling. So normally I would say go ahead with it. However, an infinite baffle (IB, free-air) woofer still needs an enclosure just like all woofers do. The difference is that an IB woofer likes an expansive enclosure, even an infinite enclosure. This makes taking advantage of existing boat compartments such as seating or helm consoles convenient and inexpensive. But you must have total front to rear acoustic isolation for at least a distance of 5.5 feet away from the woofer in all directions. Your kickpanel/façade (if that description fits your particular boat) under the dash is wide open over the top and provides little to zero isolation. This means no deep bass, no damping (control) and extremely poor power handling. If you have a floor hump to install the subwoofer into this is an improvement but still less than ideal. I would wait and do it right with an enclosure. The right 10" correctly matched with the enclosure and power can do a really good job.

MLA
04-18-2014, 05:48 PM

Thats an excellent marine sub, one of the best sounding IMO. But I would seriously consider putting it in an enclosure, as opposed to IB. Feed it a solid 250W rms.

patrick232
04-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advise. I will put in box. What thickness hdpe board was used for the box.

Mrd8ker
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Well I guess it will be easier to go around the bow...that's how I did it on my outback 2006..
Mrd8kr....you have a Mondo? Centre locker?

Sampp1963 -

Sorry for the late response. It appears the wiring goes two different directions. Under the center walkway and up around the bow.

Starboard Side Locker (Under glove compartment)

Bow Starboard Locker