PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

mikenehrkorn
04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Who is everyone using for their insurance? My current policy (that covers my Moomba and a Sea-Doo jet ski) is with Progressive, but they want to raise my rate on both about 25% each with no claims on either last year. :mad:

sivs1
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I use American Family, they also cover my house, so it was easy. Not sure if I am getting the best rate, but get great service.

Woody929
04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Mine is through ACE www.acegroup.com. I had progressive with my old boat, and their rates were crazy for the LSV. Ace has been great to deal with. I use a broker though, not sure if you go directly to them or not.

sandm
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
was with progressive until the quoted me north of $500 for the new boat with no claims.

I am now with ski-safe. they are running mid300's with much better coverage than progressive and a lower deductible. try them out... I think you'll be happy.
not sure who else on here is with them but I got the tip from here as well..

patrick232
04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Depending on your review and when you tool delivery of your new boat the rate might not have risen the whole 25%. On my 2006 LSV I was at about $350 a year for agreed value of $28K. The Mondo is $470 a year for agreed value of $60K. This is with progressive.

parrothd
04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Make sure if you tow to get trailer tow insurance, I use boat.us for that..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

snyderaaron
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM
I wonder is progressive does this after you sign up. I signed up this year and it was high 200. Switched from skisafe which was pretty similar. I have a high deductible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
04-01-2014, 05:54 PM
AmFam here. Covered while towing. Rate is cheap but I have an old boat. Discount for a boating safety certificate which should apply to all WA boaters since we all need the boating license.

bergermaister
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Pemco - multi policy discount w autos/home etc.

And I've had a few hefty claims :( but they've treated me like royalty the whole time with minimal rate hikes.

rdlangston13
04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Boatus here and I actually just renewed. No claims and 460 a year with a 1k deductible

Sent from my iPhone

Ian Brantford
04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
I've been paying about double what you guys do! Here in Canada, it is difficult to find insurance for wakeboarding boats. Many companies just do not know what they are. They do a calculation for runabouts or ski boats, taking the length and horsepower and getting a bogus top speed (70+ MPH), and charge you as if it were a cigarette boat.

A couple of years ago, I did some checking around to see if there was any company that could significantly undercut my existing insurer, Premier Marine. There were finally some competitors, but none were worth switching.

Boatdrinks797
04-01-2014, 08:40 PM
There was some promo going on last year when I picked up my boat that if you went with brand X insurance (cant recall the name, check with your dealer) that you got an additional 3 years of warranty on the motor. It's a spendy policy at around $550/year but gives me a little more comfort. I'm sure I'll be shopping for a new provider once the 3 years is up though.

smitty75
04-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Skisafe here. Seemed to be pretty cheap compared to some of the others when I was shopping around.

jpetty3023
04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
TX Farm Bureau and I've seen a slight increase each year. just got this years renewal in the mail and it's 517 a year. no claims, heck never even an inquiry until today. asked her why the increase and she td me last year TX saw a huge increase in claims so everyone's policy went up. I'll be shopping around this weekend

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

jmvotto
04-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Safeco for all policies home, boat auto.

stretch55
04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I had ski safe when I had my 2000 supra. It was in the $350 range I have progressive for my 2005 XLV and it's right at $500. It's gone up 10% each year for the last 2 years. With no claims. Time to go back to ski safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerfield
04-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Who is everyone using for their insurance?

Another vote for Ski-Safe.

Annual premium: $356

Boat: $31,000
Towing: $1,000
Trailer: $3,000

Deductible: $500

Liability: $300,000
Medical: $25,000
Personal property: $3,500 w/ $250 deductible

rbeckner27
04-02-2014, 06:23 AM
I have boatUS, the only thing I thought kinda querky about there policy is they require you to be a boatUS member and they don't tell you about that until you start the policy.
When we bought our boat in sept 2013 indmar was offering a 5 yr warranty if I went with there insurance provider but it was more than double what boatUS quoted me.
I think with boatUS I am paying just under $400

bergermaister
04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm at $420 a year but only a $250 deductible. Don't recall all the other coverage levels but I keep bumping them up every few years. I've only seen about a $60 increase overall since 2006 though - $5 a month? I can definitely live with that for what I've been through.

kaneboats
04-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Just make sure you have uninsured boater coverage. That's a big one with all the idiots on the water.

trayson
04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Mine is through ACE www.acegroup.com. I had progressive with my old boat, and their rates were crazy for the LSV. Ace has been great to deal with. I use a broker though, not sure if you go directly to them or not.

I have ACE as well. After hearing everyone on another thread talk about ski safe, I inquired with them and they couldn't touch the rates I was getting with ACE. The rest of my cars/home is with State Farm and they couldn't touch my ACE rates either.

I have a good friend that is with a company called "Boat Insurance Company" and they are brokers and he hooked me up with the best deal (which ended up being ACE).

http://www.boatinsurance.net/

Ask for Jeremy and tell him that Trayson referred you.

irish-racing
04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Mine is through USAA who outsources it out to Progressive. I haven't had any issues with them and my rates are around $370 for the year after my accident at the end of the season last year. I have all my insurance for everything through USAA and they are awesome. I am switching my banking and everything over to them. If you can get USAA I would suggest it.

mikenehrkorn
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Irish -- you almost pegged my situation exactly..........USAA before (with my old Sea-Ray) and then transitioned over to Progressive. The first year everything was great as were the rates ($322 for the '13 OBV and $150 for '11 Sea-Doo GTS 130), but then both rates jump up almost 25% to $398 and $185 respectively. With no accidents or claims of any kind!!

From the rates I'm hearing from you guys, $400 a yr doesn't sound bad at all but the 25% jump is the more disturbing change...

sandm
04-02-2014, 03:21 PM
insurance is a funny thing and hard to really compare(although I never have an issue tossing mine out)..

really boils down to carriers want to take on more risk, insured's product, record, credit score, location/usage and ultimately the amount of coverage/deductible they sign up for.

I see some very high rates at $500/yr but they may be carrying 1m in coverage where I might only have 300k in liability for my $350 bill. too many variables to do an apples to apples comparison.

trayson
04-02-2014, 04:28 PM
insurance is a funny thing and hard to really compare(although I never have an issue tossing mine out)..

really boils down to carriers want to take on more risk, insured's product, record, credit score, location/usage and ultimately the amount of coverage/deductible they sign up for.

I see some very high rates at $500/yr but they may be carrying 1m in coverage where I might only have 300k in liability for my $350 bill. too many variables to do an apples to apples comparison.

Very true. I tend to carry pretty low deductibles on mine. and insuring my $10k boat is different than insuring someone's $60k boat.

That's why I didn't mention any rates in my post. In my case Ace was the winner and substantially better priced than Ski Safe or any of the other options my broker considered. I guess more than anything, that says to a shopper "at least consider Ace when you're narrowing down your shopping choices".

Again, another glowing endorsement for Jeremy at Boat Insurance Company. He did all the work of comparison shopping for me. :-)

mmandley
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
If you have a New Moomba or Supra and you go through Boat US then you get extended Drive Train warranty, I think its 4 years.

I had them the last 5 years but this year switched to Allstate because the deductible was 1/2 and now everything is with one company. The rate is about 50 a year more though.

Sharpshooter
04-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Progressive $340 a year on a 2013 LSV

2013 Moomba LSV

tgoody14
04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Man, I was getting the shaft from Progressive at $550 a year!!! I started reading all these replies from you guys, figured what the hell I'll check out ski-safe.... Filled out the quote... Got the same coverage as progressive BUT AT $260!!!! That's $300 a year I'll be saving! Thanks for the advice fellas!!!

Mrd8ker
04-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I just finished going through this. Hope the information helps.

'14 Mondo policy through Boaters Insurance

Property (Type - Amount of Insurance - Deductible)
- Boat & Equipment - Amt. of insurance $69k - Deductible $690
- Trailer - 6k - $91
- Personal Effects - 5k - $150
- Towing Reimbursement - $500 - None

Liability - $300k - No ded.
Pollution Liability - $854k
Medical Payments - $10k
Uninsured Boaters - $300k

Other Notes
- laid up from 11/01 to 03/01
- 2 additional years engine warranty through Indmar (this was the selling point for me)
- 5 Year Total loss replacement on boat

Annual Premium - $600

I have my house, cars, other boat with Safeco and they were at the same annual premium even with multi-policy discount.

CJ

mmandley
04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Just remember folks, just because you save more now doesn't mean you pay more later.

You don't remember or judge an Insurance Company by how well they treated you with no claim. You judge and remember them after you file a claim.

I had Boat US on the Mojo last year, changed to Allstate this year but I had a claim pop up on the Mojo from Last year.

Allstate wouldn't pay it because the claim technically happened during BoatUS coverage. I filed a claim though my Now Closed account to US boats, explained why the claim wasn't filed for 5 months, they understood, paid the estimate with no inspection, no hassle, no worries.

Allstate on the other hand would have done the same, their concern was this claim fell under the old boat insurance coverage period. I almost Droped Allstate though because I disclosed this info before switching and Allstate said they would cover it. In the end BoatUS covered it.

I like that Boat US is extending the warranty on the SC brand boats. For me it doesn't matter because my boat loan came with 5 year extended warranty on the boat that includes everything not just my drive train.

My point is, be very careful when you choose these insurance companies, you might be saving more per year on your coverage but when you have a claim, and YOU WILL you want it to be seamless and painless, you will already be stressed and worried about your baby that's in the shop.

trayson
04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Man, I was getting the shaft from Progressive at $550 a year!!! I started reading all these replies from you guys, figured what the hell I'll check out ski-safe.... Filled out the quote... Got the same coverage as progressive BUT AT $260!!!! That's $300 a year I'll be saving! Thanks for the advice fellas!!!

Interesting. I quoted ski-safe and they were more expensive than the exact same coverage through Ace.

tgoody14
04-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Interesting. I quoted ski-safe and they were more expensive than the exact same coverage through Ace.

I don't know how they figure their estimates, but I've been a boat owner for 15 years with 0 claims/accidents.

This insurance is on my 08 LSV.

kriley
04-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Allstate - $450.00 year