PDA

View Full Version : muffler drain plug

freshturk
03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
So as I'm summerizing my boat for the upcoming move to Charlotte I feel a small bit of water coming from my freshly reinstalled muffler plug and decide to give it another quarter turn and it kept on going. Great, muffler plug stripped shortly before my move. Now, the plug never leaked water After the quarter turn. I went ahead and pulled the screw which I believe is a self tapper and tried another albeit shorter screw. Same story. Unable to get ahold of my local dealer and the manufacturer of tje muffler was also closed. I ended up getting ahold of a Charlotte dealer who proceeded to tell me that he's never removed one in all the time he's been winterizing boats ( way to make me feel worse.). He was unsure of what the insides of these mufflers look like in regards to possibility of tapping new threads in fear of damaging some internal components. He stated that the muffler is never 100% full of water hence it doesn't need drained for winter. His suggestion was to find a new bolt, coat it with marine epoxy, reinsert and forget its even there. Now I've never been one for putting band aids on problems, but if I don't need the plug then it feels like much less of a band aid.

My question to you is simply what are your thoughts?

89PROSTAR
03-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Mine did the same thing last year. I wrapped the heck out of the screw with Teflon tape and it didn't leak. This year I may use Gorilla glue or silicone. I would think you have to drain the water out of there.

mmandley
03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I normally drain the water also, I would get a larger thread and screw it in. Its just fiberglass and you prolly pulled the threads out. Not a big deal on it though.

jzelt
03-25-2014, 03:32 PM
You could also try any gasket sealer you may have around or auto part store. I use black rtv gasket on several bolts to prevent leakage on autos/snowmobiles. Stays flexible like silicon recommendation.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Fluids-and-Chemicals/RTV-Adhesive/_/N-25a0?filterByKeyWord=black+gasket&fromString=search

rbeckner27
04-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Have to admit I just did it today. I am thinking the rtv approach may work sufficiently.

98outback
05-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Anybody try anything yet ?

89PROSTAR
05-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I wrapped mine with Teflon tape. It snugs up tight and doesn't leak. Just don't over tighten it.

98outback
05-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Wonder if it would be ok to put some 3m 4000 on the bolt?

89PROSTAR
05-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I would have if I had it at the time.

jeffgilley
08-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I would have if I had it at the time.

Mine did the exact same thing. Don't know how you can winterize the boat without pulling that plug. There is a ton of water in the muffler. Anyway, gonna use an oversized self tapper and some RTV. We'll see how it works.

89PROSTAR
08-12-2015, 02:10 PM
My plan is to epoxy in a fitting with a petcock valve. The Teflon tape works just fine. No leaks. If there is any leaking it would be so small it really wouldn't hurt anything.

zabooda
08-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Interesting - when did draining the mufflers become part of the winterization process? You would think the drain plug set up would be more robust. I don't even think my 98 has a drain plug and if it does it is lying on the floor where I couldn't get to it.

jeffgilley
08-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Here is the fix for the problem. Get your self a 5/16-18 self tapping bolt from Fastenal (item #32416)(5/16-18x3/4"HWSLTCS). Get a "performance tool" 125 piece rubber grommet set off ebay (item #5214). Remove the old stripped out bolt that you use to drain the water out of the muffler. Using a flat blade screw driver, reem out the hole until you are able to thread in the new self tapper. Put a rubber grommet on the self tapper. Tighten down (but not too tight). No more leaks!!!

Fastest1
09-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Why not use a metal roofing screw? Already has the sealing washer.