PDA

View Full Version : I hate Holley carbs

pickle311
03-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I've got an 05 Moomba Outback with the 310hp Indmar. I took the boat in for the 20hr service back in February and asked them to take a look at the carb because it seemed to be running a bit rich. I was getting black carbon all over the transome. So the dealer ordered a new card and bolted it on and I was good to go. So today I took the boat out and it ran like crap. It took me 20 minutes just to get it started and once I did it would not idle. So I ran the boat and got it warmed up pretty good and it started to idle but it was really rough. I don't know what was going on but the boat ran like total crap under 1000 RPMs, anything above and it was great. It died on me trying to load it up on the trailer. If I stopped anywhere it would not restart without applying the throttle. I was completely pissed. I can't stand to own anything that doesn't run right, especially something new.
Thanks for letting me vent, now anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I will be taking to boat back to the dealer next weekend for them to fix it.

Why don't they use an Edlebrock or a Demon carb anyway? They are much better carbs.

tygger6069
03-04-2006, 11:48 PM
pickle311,

We had a similiar problem with our Kamberra and the 310 motor. Turned out to be a problem with the power valve in the carb. Changed the power valve and no more balck transom. But with the new carb, sounds like it needs to be adjusted to your boat and elvation. Hope that this helps and good luck getting it back to the water. I am jealous that you have already been in the water, still waiting for warmer weather up here in the norhteastern part of Washington.

Andy

Rusten
03-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Pickle,
I've read really good things about the Edelbrock Marine carbs myself. I have a slightly off-topic question for you. In a separate thread I'm attempting to determine what the max RPM is on the Outbacks with your motor (same I'm running). When it's running, can you tell me where your RPM's are at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)?

Thank you in advance :)

pickle311
03-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I have not exceeded 4200 RPMs but I did still have some throttle left.

YellowMoomba0
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I have an 04 Outback. The first weekend I used the boat I went through the same thing. Called a few mechanics I know and all pretty much agreed that it was the jet settings. My carb jet screws were sealed so the boat meets California emissions. This way you cant adjust the settings. I live in South Carolina and wont be taking my boat to CA anytime soon. I called Indmar to see if popping out the seals would void the warranty. They said no so I pulled them out and closed the jets on both sides, then I backed them out 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 turns. After I acheived an idle of 750 rmp or so, I tinkered a little and got it just where I want it. Runs perfect now. Do not set RPM too high or the transmission will jump a bit too hard when shifting into gear. I still have to pump throttle to start even if I just turned it off at the course etc. Hope this helps.

carsondoc
03-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Pickle, I went through the same thing. You are going to have to pop those brass caps out of the metering plate so you can access the air mixture screws. I used a small drill and then pried them out. Once you have access to them (there are two, one on each side of the metering plate) you can adjust them and the idle and get it running right.

They are sealed for emissions purposes and for the longest time I could not figure out what the heck to do to fix the problem. If you need help finding them just reply to this post. Also, Brian Raymond has written on this board in the past on the proper way to adjust them and describes the process pretty well. It takes 15 minutes or so but will make you a happy boater.

It's not skiers choice who is to blame for this one.

Rusten
04-05-2006, 02:32 AM
While on the subject of the Holley v. Edelbrock carbs, does anyone know if the Edelbrock marine carb is comparible to the Holley? For example, I believe the Edelbrock marine carbs have * Vacuum Secondaries, * Electric Choke, which match -- however, are they a match in other comparisons, for example it Edelbrock appears to have only a *single* fuel inlet; does this present any issue other than the trivial consideration of adapting the fuel line?

The reason I ask, is that I'm planning on rebuilding my carb and the Edelbrock Marine is only $280 at Summit. I've heard good things about them, which pickle touched on here, and if there is any benefit, it seems it would be worth the money to switch it out.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

pickle311
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I brought the boat back to the dealer and they got it fixed up right away and it runs great now. As for the Edlebrock, I don't know if it would be a direct bolt on or not.

Thanks for the help and the problem was with the jetting.