PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurf Rope

uniwarking
03-09-2014, 11:13 AM
All, I'm looking for recommendations on a wakesurf rope. I've read a few threads but it doesn't look like many of them are very current.

My #1 priority is safety. This has me leaning toward a thick, wakesurf specific, handle free rope. The handles, even the smaller 9" ones or the T handles seem like they'd be more likely to get caught.

I'd also like length recommendations. I'm assuming the 25' ropes would be a better option than the 20' ropes simply to accommodate a wider range of wakes. I have a 13 Mojo without the Flow but I'm hoping to add it next season.

We are total wakesurf noobs. We wakeboard, ski and kneeboard so getting up shouldn't be a problem. We just picked up a big box Hyperlite Broadcast to learn on... if all goes well I think we'll look at higher end rider specific boards (we have about a 100lb weight range) and the Flow system as I'd mentioned. I'm not even sure a stock ballast equipped Mojo is even surfable but we're going to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Keith

brain_rinse
03-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Hey Keith - we like the braided/knotted ropes the best for the safety reasons you mentioned. I don't think the length will matter all that much as you'll be surfing rope-free in no time. The lack of a handle is a bit harder for beginners though, which is the trade-off.

wolfeman131
03-09-2014, 01:03 PM
We've used quite a few and think this one is about the best out there. Small, safe handle makes for easy ups and a large, braided section to help pull into the sweet spot.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/f7980166f3b870607b529438eabc934d.jpg

http://agendasurf.com/dir/products/wakesurf/rope-handle-combo.html

moombahighrider
03-09-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm with Wolfe. While I understand your safety concerns, I have never had an issue come up as a result of having the small handle. Not saying it couldn't happen, of course. We always make sure to throw the rope back when we don't need the rope anymore and make sure someone completely pulls it back in to the boat, so it's not in the way. Also, I never let go of the handle and keep the slack out of the water as i pull myself closer to the boat, so that it doesn't get in the way.

Boonejeepin
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
A crazy situation can always happen. I had a handleless rope that wrapped and locked around my wrist on a fall. Got drug a few feet. Wasn't fun and didn't feel good.

The agenda rope that Wolfe posted looks really nice.

uniwarking
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Drew, that's about the nicest handle surf rope I've seen. I will certainly consider it.

gregski
03-09-2014, 08:06 PM
I much prefer knots or thick braids with no handle. I really don't like the mini surf handles. I've never used one and not felt like a goob. When I teach someone, I use a wakeboard rope/handle so that they have the big solid handle to hold onto.

moombadaze
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
never tried the handleless all rope myself-so no comment. I have both the mini handle and the tee handle, prefer the mini handle myself

parrothd
03-09-2014, 09:22 PM
We've used quite a few and think this one is about the best out there. Small, safe handle makes for easy ups and a large, braided section to help pull into the sweet spot.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/f7980166f3b870607b529438eabc934d.jpg

http://agendasurf.com/dir/products/wakesurf/rope-handle-combo.html

We have this one, or one like it, the extra length is great, we've had several others but this one is the best..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
03-09-2014, 09:59 PM
I use a wakeboard rope/handle so that they have the big solid handle to hold onto.

This is about as dangerous as surfing behind an I/O.

kaneboats
03-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Ehh, just learn to paddle real fast. No need for any rope at all :cool:

gregski
03-10-2014, 01:21 AM
This is about as dangerous as surfing behind an I/O.
I've always heard this argument but can't wrap my head around it (pun intended). I can't figure how the entanglement risk is any greater than wakeboarding or wakeskating.

parrothd
03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Going slower it gets wrapped around your arm then drags you until something gives.. Wake boarding t you're generally holding on with your fingers..

jpetty3023
03-10-2014, 11:27 AM
with surfing you generally get slack in the rope from speeding up and trying to find sweet spot. if you lose the sweet spot and then get tension on rope from falling back in wave that's where you have a problem with wakeboarding rope/handle

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

mmandley
03-10-2014, 02:18 PM
I've used them all,

I don't mind the hadle-less style but as the day goes on your grip gets tired and getting up is harder. Plus new people, older people, and younging can have a hard time holding just a rope to get up.

T-Handle works well and gives you a small handle to grab but I have been hit so many times with the T in the face, and head I got rid of it.

I prefer the mini triangle, it allows you to cup your hands, or use 1 hand to get up. Pretty hard to get your arm stuck in it. Only been hit in the face 1 time by it lol.

We have the style with the thick rope and it has knots, and sections that are removable to change the overall length.

parrothd
03-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I've used them all,

I don't mind the hadle-less style but as the day goes on your grip gets tired and getting up is harder. Plus new people, older people, and younging can have a hard time holding just a rope to get up.

T-Handle works well and gives you a small handle to grab but I have been hit so many times with the T in the face, and head I got rid of it.

I prefer the mini triangle, it allows you to cup your hands, or use 1 hand to get up. Pretty hard to get your arm stuck in it. Only been hit in the face 1 time by it lol.

We have the style with the thick rope and it has knots, and sections that are removable to change the overall length.

I forgot about getting hit in the face/hand with he other ropes...

Do you guys play the wakesurf horseshoe game?

Once you're up try tossing the triangle onto the ski pylon...

mikenehrkorn
03-10-2014, 02:34 PM
I tried to make my own with really heavy yet softer rope and many knots, but found the issue that Mike mentions -- a lot of people without much hand strength had a tough time holding on to it, including me.

I got one very similar to the one in Drew's pic and so far everyone loves it. I don't have near the amount of experience using it as some of these other guys, but we have had no issues with getting tangled in it nor anyone getting clubbed in the head yet (knock on wood).

uniwarking
03-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Ok, I think I'm buying in to the mini triangle. I'll probably order up the one in Drew's link.

On to the next noob surf question... Toss the rope over the wave or back into the boat? In the vid from Drew's link, they say toss it over the wave and have someone reel it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Do you guys play the wakesurf horseshoe game?

Once you're up try tossing the triangle onto the ski pylon...

Every single time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mmandley
03-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Ok, I think I'm buying in to the mini triangle. I'll probably order up the one in Drew's link.

On to the next noob surf question... Toss the rope over the wave or back into the boat? In the vid from Drew's link, they say toss it over the wave and have someone reel it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found it easier when your new to just drop it, or toss it over the wave.

2 things happen when you try to toss it to the boat being new,
1 your concentrating on not hitting someone in the boat,
2 you tend to lean forward on the board when you toss the rope leading to falling off the wave.

Dropping it doesn't cause this.
Tossing it over the wave is really the best when your new because if anything it causes you to lean into the wave and that's a good thing

saskyrider
03-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I agree with Mike, i had trouble losing the wave after tossing the rope, as soon as i just flicked it to the opposite side i had no problems... and we go with the knotted rope no handle on the end. the knot on the end is quite a bit larger than the rest of them and works fine for us. Its a Ronix if my memor serves me correctly.

uniwarking
03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
What do you all think of this Liquid Force rope?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6HTUY/ref=s9_simh_co_p200_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=typ-top-left-1&pf_rd_r=0WFRRCRMMRK90B60C729&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1727271062&pf_rd_i=typ01

parrothd
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
That's the one I have, very long with extensions..

trayson
03-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I really like the style of that Agenda rope/handle. The price, not so much, LOL.

That said, when I first started wakesurfing and I wasn't able to easily freeride, I had an Accurate small triangle:
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mZOEEsRtL95RJ5xolhHEPRQ.jpg

I got frustrated with it as I couldn't yet freeride, so gripping the thin rope to try to get in the sweet spot wasn't easy and tired out my grip.

So, I bought this Body Glove T-Handle that was thicker, with knots, and quite affordable:
http://www.jmsonline.net/body-glove-watersports-bg-wakesurf-rope-bgw-bg1208.htm

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/images/prodimages/BodyGlove/ZZ15730_L.jpg

Now that I can freeride easily, I honestly prefer the accurate small triangle more! I like having that handle to get up with. Even with a t-handle, when I get tired, it seems to add more grip fatigue. Also, now that I'm ONLY using the rope to get up, having the lighter rope of the Accurate makes for less mass when I'm throwing it into the boat. Those thick knotted ropes can really have a lot of mass when tossing them into the boat. It's almost like a hammer coming at you with that t-handle loaded up with that much wet rope.

That said, we never use the body glove t-handle anymore as most people can freeride now.

On the topic of getting rid of the rope, yes dropping it to the other side of the wave is certainly a good way to keep your posture and stance from getting off. However, I've found it's also a distraction as the surfer is watching it flail around while someone tried to reel it in. If you do toss it in, what will help is that immediately after tossing it in, pretend like you're doing a "superman" with your arms pointed toward the wake. bend your knees and put your arms horizontal toward the wake. That will keep your posture such that you're less likely to put your weight off and crash.

trayson
03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
This one looks like it could be a good compromise between price, moderately thick braided section, and decent handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakesurf-Handle-and-Rope-by-Tantrum-Tow-Ropes-Wake-Surf-/121290796946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3d7eaf92

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/qXMAAOxyJX1TC~Bs/$_57.JPG

kaneboats
03-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Those are some nice deals, fellas. I like the T handle the best for the safety factor although you have to stay alert cuz, as said above, any rope/handle can catch your rider.

trayson
03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
With all this talk about t-handles vs. small triangles, I've found I'm really a triangle guy. So, Anyone that's interested, I'll sell ya my body glove T-handle rope (thick, braided with knots) for $30. (a little bit less than I paid for it). Really only used sparingly for a handful of outtings, maybe a couple months tops. I'm in Vancouver WA.

http://www.marinesupplydock.com/images/D/Wakeboards-BGW-BG1208-detailed-image-1.jpg