PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new board?

Livindadream
03-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Shopping,a s I had my Hyperlite stolen last fall. Loved the board, but really was more than I needed, but got it slightly used for a great price from a friend. I am 6'6, weigh 215lbs. The extent of my wakeboarding is the occasional 180 or a simple grab. No intent to ever get inverted, as at 41 years old just cant see it. I have found a nice deal on a new LF Synegy w/Element bindings. While I am limited, still like getting nice air and jumping wake to wake. Any thoughts on this board? Advice on a different board that would fit my profile? I can justify dropping the $$ for a new HL, and this board is about half the price. Thanks for the help.

Buttafewcoe
03-04-2006, 11:30 AM
We started with O'Brien, then quickly switched to LF. So they (LF) have a place in my heart.
Like you, I'm a bit 'long in the tooth', but only pushing 180#. I ride an Evo 138 w/ elements. Wake to wake, occasional grab, and some ollie 180's in the flats.
My son (22) (170# ish) sports a 138 Substance (last year's model) w/ Sphinx. Scarecrow, Half Cab, 360's, Tantrums, working on his 540's and such.
With your stature, you may want 141/143
We like the LF gear. My son swears by it.
I'm looking at upgrading and turning the Evo into the 'community board'. Don't know what boy is doing w/ his, he'll have to cough up the geeda's if he wants a new one
If you get the Synergy, I'd like feedback on it as that's the one I think I'd like. All I have to get is the board, the Elements have held up good.
B

Livindadream
03-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks man. I actually attempted to research, but found myself more confused and feeling really old. Don't understand the wakeboard lingo. What is the difference between molded fins and removable fins, from a functuality standpoint? Any idea? My HL had molded side fins(I am sure thats not correct, but all I know) and a removable center fin. LF board has 6 removable ones.

Buttafewcoe
03-05-2006, 05:16 AM
I'll try.................with removable fins, you can change to longer to help the board remain straight as it tracks through the water, shorter so you have manuverability, or none at all so the board is real loose and pivots with no trouble at all.
Molded in means they're part of the board's shape. they look like bumps on the underside of the board.
The Evo I ride has a combination of both, 4 molded, one on each corner, and 2 removable, one on each end. The removables are 1.2" long. I have see replacements as long as 2.5" long.
Six removable sounds like a lot of hardware to mess with and, I'd guess if you know what you're doing, you could really dial it in.
I am not that advanced. I know I don't like real long fins. Tend to cut vinyl for one thing if you drag them across the sunpad. Plus I do like to do board slides (riding with the board perpendicular to the boat). The longer the fins are, the harder the board is to get around sideways like that.
I have now crossed the threshold from what little I know into lots I don't know, so without prattling..............
Hope this helps
B

EUSTACE
03-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Given your size I would defiantly stay above a 140.

I think the Synergy is last seasons Litmus. It looks like a pretty versatile board with regards to fin configuration and what seems to be a blended rocker line.

If your wish to stay with HL and don’t want to break the bank check out http://grizzly-sports.com/ ask for Mike, he can hook you up with an HL blem for a good price.

Good Luck, E