PDA

View Full Version : What is the best I'll be able to find for around 20K?

Frznrth
02-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Hi
I am wanting to get a different boat for this summer and am needing some advice. I own half an old ski boat that has been lots of fun but it is way past due to get something better. I would like something that would be a good all around open bow boat - bit of skiing, wake boarding, pulling a tube and surfing if possible. Ideally I would like built in ballast, a tower with a couple of speakers and a sun shade. My 20K budget will put a huge limit on my choices but I know that Moomba makes a quality boat at a reasonable price so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that if I look hard enough I might be able to find a good one.

What models/years should I be looking for - avoiding? I know that hours on an engine will depend on how well it was maintained but what would a general guide be? Stay away from over this ______ many hours unless you know that it was treated well and even then if it was treated better than a baby over this many hours ________ problems are likely.

Thanks much for your time.

PS - I live in southern Alberta but will likely be shopping in Idaho, Washington or Northern California (seems that anything decent here is way over priced) - so if you happen to have something for sale....

kaneboats
02-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you are in the market for something like a 2003 Mobius V like this one:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40301

Frznrth
02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
That would do nicely! How about something like this though http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41948 ? or this http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41186 if it was closer.

Do I want a V drive or a direct? I know Vs are alot more popular know but if I can get a better deal? - Also checked the dollar - 20K canadian isn't what it used to be. 17-18K US would be more realistic.

If I got something that didn't have factory built in ballast could I add them so that they would be built in?

Frznrth
02-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Or this? http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/26009 - this seems real nice if all it true - too bad its in Texas. Would I be able to find more like this if I keep my eyes open or is it an exceptional deal? - Oh Sorry took another look I first thought it was a V drive - how much would a V drive add to the cost and is it what I would want to set on or could a direct drive make a wake big enough to surf behind - without having the back full of bags?

kaneboats
02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
You really have to decide what activities you like the best/do the most. If it's more skiing, go the DD route. If you go out with lots of friends and love to wakeboard and surf, then the V-drive is probably a better option but will cost more. Lots of DD buyers end up trading to a V-drive within a couple of years (me too). You are also getting to the time of year when the snow starts melting and the boats start moving so you better be ready when you find your deal.

Frznrth
02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Mostly I think it would be used for wake boarding. I like to ski but am not fussy - if I have to do so on less than an ideal wake no big deal. The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option. While it would be primary for wake boarding it wouldn't have to throw any better of a wake than a novice would be happy with. We don't get to go out enough that anybody is going to make the X games.

I guess what I need to know is:

- What hulls are decent for wake boarding?

- Which come with built in ballast or the spaces where you could hide enough ballast?

- Is it possible to surf behind a DD without having a bunch of sacs on the floor? - don't think this would be an option.

- Can you add the Wake Plate to any/all?

I'm fairly sure I would get a V drive if I could afford it but that might be a bit of a stretch - that one you found though is about in the ball park - not the greatest graphic but that might be getting overly picky for my $. Is 600 and some hours getting to be on the high side? Better off with a less used DD?

Not sure if this is sacrilege on this board but if my best option isn't a moomba what might it be? I heard that some of the other brands aren't too bad either!

Thanks much for all the help.

kaneboats
02-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Most of the inboard brands are decent. In your market price is based on condition and hours. You have to check out each boat. There are no shortcuts. It sounds like a V-drive would be more comfortable for the family but you could get by with a DD. I'd say look for one in great condition that's in your budget. Graphics can be removed just like crappy speakers so that should not have any role in your decision.

trayson
02-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Mostly I think it would be used for wake boarding. I like to ski but am not fussy - if I have to do so on less than an ideal wake no big deal. The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option. While it would be primary for wake boarding it wouldn't have to throw any better of a wake than a novice would be happy with. We don't get to go out enough that anybody is going to make the X games.

I guess what I need to know is:

- What hulls are decent for wake boarding?

- Which come with built in ballast or the spaces where you could hide enough ballast?

- Is it possible to surf behind a DD without having a bunch of sacs on the floor? - don't think this would be an option.

- Can you add the Wake Plate to any/all?

I'm fairly sure I would get a V drive if I could afford it but that might be a bit of a stretch - that one you found though is about in the ball park - not the greatest graphic but that might be getting overly picky for my $. Is 600 and some hours getting to be on the high side? Better off with a less used DD?

Not sure if this is sacrilege on this board but if my best option isn't a moomba what might it be? I heard that some of the other brands aren't too bad either!

Thanks much for all the help.

Here's the deal. if you want to surf, then a V-drive is simply gonna be better. Yes, I can get a decent surf wave out of my direct drive, but I'm slamming it with 1300 to 1500 pounds of weight. And only about 250 of that is hidden under seats. the rest of it is all over the floors and stuff. I can't do hard plumbed ballast except for the little 250 under my seat.

With a vdrive, you can typically plumb in enough ballast to get a great surf wave and have it all hidden (sure most of your storage goes away, but whatever).

Other v-drives to look at might be the Mastercraft Maristars, the Centurion Avalanche, and a few others. Most big name v-drives will be great. There was a Maxum v-drive made by bayliner that was crazy cheap. there's one here in Vancouver WA that the guy's been trying to sell forever for $12k and hasn't moved in a year. I'd pass. Most any tournament wakeboat is going to have a decent hull for wakeboarding. yeah, some are better than others, but honestly, are ya'all so good that it'll really matter? I pull wake to wake jumps and grabs and some 180's all day long and I'm fine behind about any DD or Vdrive. Yeah, some are more fun, but most all of them are "good enough".

I think in the long run once you try surfing, you'll be instantly hooked and want something that makes it easier to surf. You're at the bottom of the range, but it can be done for your budget if you look.

I got my Direct drive Supra for under $10k with perfect pass, tower, some ballast, dual batteries, etc. But I found that rare "budget" direct drive that was pretty damn dialed in.

I coulda got a Maristar in the fall for well under $15k, so they're out there.

KG's Supra24
02-27-2014, 01:29 AM
The boat would be mostly for the kids and they seem to wake board or tube. Haven't tried surfing but it looks like enough fun that it would be nice to have as an option.

..... Sounds like you should be looking for a v-drive.

Trayson brings a solid recommendation with the Maristar idea. You should be able to find some other v-drives in the 20k range too, though. I bet you find a lot more boats that fall into your range if it was bumped to 25k. 20k used to be the borderline territory for v-drives. Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't looked in a while.

saskyrider
02-27-2014, 11:13 AM
..... Sounds like you should be looking for a v-drive.

Trayson brings a solid recommendation with the Maristar idea. You should be able to find some other v-drives in the 20k range too, though. I bet you find a lot more boats that fall into your range if it was bumped to 25k. 20k used to be the borderline territory for v-drives. Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't looked in a while.

totally agree with KG if at all possible bump your budget to 25K and it opens up a lot of options in the V-Drive area. Having kids means needing space and the V-Drive has a lot more floor space and overall room. I picked up my 2005 LSV for 26K in 2010... smokin deal?? i thought so and that was kijiji in Alberta. Keep lookin there will be someone that is motivated to sell so they can upgrade themselves and you can cash in on that. Plus with our dollar tanking right now trying to buy in Canada is way more attractive...

trayson
02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
This one is in WA and at $20k USD.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4342783795.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00V0V_jAPBNWbXEgp_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00r0r_hAQ2vP2OS7Z_600x450.jpg

Frznrth
02-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks much for all the help. The specific options will make searching a lot easier. I'll see if I can bump the budget a bit. How many hours are too many? Should I try to stay under 1000 or does it depend?

saskyrider
02-27-2014, 04:04 PM
In my mind comfort level with hours is a personal thing... i have a buddy that has an 02 vlx wakesetter that just rolled over 900 hours... i wouldn't hesitate to snag it because i know how its been taken care of. Really if buying used id prefer to stay under 400 hours but thats just me... and of course the lower your budget the tougher that is...

boy aren't we great at helping you spend more money!! haha

bkearney
02-27-2014, 04:20 PM
I have the same boat from http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40301. FWIW.. I think the price is a bit high uness it has a PP and some other item. But, the boat is alot of fun :) Good for surfing, riding, and towing.

gregski
02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
In my mind comfort level with hours is a personal thing... i have a buddy that has an 02 vlx wakesetter that just rolled over 900 hours... i wouldn't hesitate to snag it because i know how its been taken care of. Really if buying used id prefer to stay under 400 hours but thats just me...

I agree it's all preference but 400 hours is a very low threshold for a boat on a budget. A ski/wakeboard boat that gets used more than just once a weekend can easily get over 100 hours per year - so that could be a 4 year old boat.

I heard some say that 1000 hours was similar to 100k miles on a car but I think this is too conservative. Our truck has 200k miles and 5000 hours on it (35 mph is probably a reasonable guess for the lifetime average of a car). Obviously you run a wake/ski boat harder than a truck driving around town, but how much? My 1000 hour = 100k miles rule would say 2.5 times the wear, maybe it should be more like 1500 hours = 100k miles. My old boat has 1200 hours on it and runs great, burns no oil and generally acts like a truck with less than 100k miles.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about hours. Just let the overall wear on the boat tell you how it has been maintained. For $20k, you're likely to be looking early 2000's, 500-750 hours and I would have no problem with that. (I'd guess that new interior vinyl would cost more than an engine rebuild).

parrothd
02-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Oops

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

parrothd
02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Yep, early 2000± lsv is what your looking for you'll probably need to ship it, you should be able to find a nice 300-500 hours boat around 18k unless you go to a dealer.

Use search tempest and claz to search all the private seller ads. I bought my boat in phoenix and used uship to get it to Chicago.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EricU
02-27-2014, 08:52 PM
I will probably be putting my '02 Moomba Mobius up for sale here soon as I have another boat already and my wife thinks that thee boats is too many (kind of selfish if you ask me).

The boat is an '02 with a little over 200 hours, has all new stereo, with six in-boats and four tower Kickers, and a sub.

The Bimini and Evolution cover are just over a year old and I had them custom made. The interior is in great shape. The only bad interior area was the rear deck covers were coming apart at the seams so I had them replaced.

The swim step has a new custom made SeaDek cover, the trailer has new tires and a Fulton F2 jack

I also added the Stargazer Perfect Pass and an onboard charger and dual batteries.

Let me know if you are interested, I will be asking $22k. The boat is in Northern California (Napa ain't a bad place as we say) and I have photos.

I bought this boat and went through the upgrade-itis as I was planning on keeping it for a long time. I love the wake that it throws. But last year I came across a Tige RZ4 that I couldn't pass up (shhh! don't tell anyone here!!)