PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cost Calculator

New Guy
02-20-2014, 05:53 PM
So I have been looking into new / newer boats and I decided that I needed some sort of calculator that I could input costs into. It is kind of a anti justification chart though the cost per hour is high as expected. Let me know what you think of if there is anything I should add.

Available for download here: https://db.tt/ji0R8mV0

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72626803/Boat%20Calculator.jpg

Maybe a future sticky?

moombadaze
02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Why, just why in the world are you posting this. its a boat and stands for BOAT--break out another thousand. heck that could be your operating cost, are you sure you really want to figure that out -lol

New Guy
02-20-2014, 06:00 PM
When it comes time to sit down with the wife and talk cost I need to be very prepared. On the plus side divide the cost per hour by the average number of people you take out and it is pretty reasonable :)

moombadaze
02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I truly believe a day on the lake is about priceless-time with family and friends with memories to last a lifetime

mmandley
02-20-2014, 06:23 PM
My cost is much geater, I have a larger boat balance, plus I have Beer, then I factory in half my truck payment and truck fuel.

If i didnt have a boat I really wouldnt need a truck.

Honestly though I'm glad I dont need to justify my boating costs, the memories and time spent on the boat literally are priceless to me and if it wasn't for boating, I wouldn't know any of you, nor would I goto Texas each year for a 3 day Beer fest that some call the Texas Jam

Just played with your Calculator, I'm closer to 95 an hour the way your numbers fall.
I don't like your Calculator...LOL

I only did mine for the boat as it is now with my current Payments and the amount I financed

jpetty3023
02-20-2014, 06:25 PM
can't put a price on love

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

sandm
02-20-2014, 06:26 PM
I agree with daze on this one but intrigued with the cost per hour and divided out by number of people. I have yet to get anyone to pay even close to what it cost to run per hour once let alone consistently. I view the time I spend with them as payment and if they chip in for gas then bonus. if your crew is paying for actual time each time out, send them my way :)

then there's the other thought of knowing what you really want and the reality of obtaining one for $30k :)

Sharpshooter
02-20-2014, 06:35 PM
I truly believe a day on the lake is about priceless-time with family and friends with memories to last a lifetime

I think moombadaze said it best, I really don't think you can put a price on family time. I have watched my son go from barely getting on a tube, to now wakeboarding,surfing, wakeskating skiing and jumping off the cliffs, I could never put a price on that

2013 Moomba LSV

New Guy
02-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Oh trust me the crew definitely doesn't chip in enough but that is another topic. Oh and the time spent on the water with family and friend is priceless. That said my boat does exactly that but there is always something better out there to spend money on.

mikenehrkorn
02-20-2014, 06:52 PM

^^^^what he said!!!!!

2013 Outback V
2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

brain_rinse
02-20-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm a numbers guy, so I can appreciate the work! That said I'm in the "some things are better left unknown" camp. :)

If you must do this, you've might consider factoring in residual value at the end of your loan. In that case the payment only matters for calculating your interest, and your cost/hr is driven off depreciation. You've got it structured like a lease right now, which is fair if you always plan to have a boat payment I guess.

kriley
02-20-2014, 07:41 PM
I have to look at it like some of the others - the great times and memories that I will never forget! The smiles and laughter, and the accomplishments of my two boys - the success of wake-boarding, the success of riding a wave behind the boat, and the time that as a parent we actually spend with our kids - "Quality Time"... This to me is worth much more than the $ per month spent - Priceless!!

jester
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
When it comes time to sit down with the wife and talk cost I need to be very prepared.

Time for a new wife. You need to find a wife like Claudia (Mikes, MMandley's wife). I am suppressed they did not purchase the Supra SC during the demo. If it was only a few feet longer.

Now I enjoy numbers and have everything budgeted out and really enjoy the sheet you made. I also have to say some things are much better left unknown. Keeps the drinking line item on the budget down.

mmandley
02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Time for a new wife. You need to find a wife like Claudia (Mikes, MMandley's wife). I am suppressed they did not purchase the Supra SC during the demo. If it was only a few feet longer.

Now I enjoy numbers and have everything budgeted out and really enjoy the sheet you made. I also have to say some things are much better left unknown. Keeps the drinking line item on the budget down.

You must be reffering to her screaming over and over WE ARE BYING THIS BOAT!!! LOL

Yea I can't complain about Claudia and the boat, she never says no when it comes to the boat.

All though she did mention just last night that by the time Oct comes around she is ready to put the boat away.
I think this might be due to the 3 days a week at minimum I have the boat in the water. Plus the several 4 day weekends we go places with it. Shes a trooper though, because she gets up at 5am to goto work early to be off at 3pm so she can get to the lake and surf on her work days. I'm lucky in the fact we only boat on 1 day a week before I have to work. Thats every other Tuesday LOL.

moombadaze
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
im with Mmandley in the truck should be calculated in too, if we had a smaller boat, I would not have this truck to pull it

uniwarking
02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
No matter what boat you have... it will always just be a hole in the water to throw money in. That said, I wouldn't trade the time with family and friends for anything.

I hear you on being prepared for the wife conversation, certainly want her in agreement with you purchase decision. I think it would be best to justify the "need" for a newer/larger/better boat... then show her some of the "amazing" six figure boats on the market... then show her a more reasonably priced Moomba that your really want. It worked for me... on both of the boats I've purchased!

Buckeye LSV
02-20-2014, 10:05 PM
I bet many others on this board boating life started in a similar way to this.......... One cold snowy January day at a boat show when I was 2 years old my dad turned to my mom and said " 1500.00 down and 50.00 a month that's ALLLLLL it cost us to own a boat".

That's turned into our family's punch line.

Every time we "Bust Out Another Thousand" we laugh at dad and mom standing at the boat show. But all the fun and the memories we've made on the lake is priceless. For me....... I couldn't make a spread sheet big enough to fit the smiles on our girls faces when we are on the boat!!

rbeckner27
02-20-2014, 10:09 PM
That hourly cost isn't to bad when you think about how much it is to rent a jet ski for an hour for two people at the beach.

Boonejeepin
02-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Best way to fix this is increasing the hours each year.

gregski
02-21-2014, 01:46 AM
If you must do this, you've might consider factoring in residual value at the end of your loan. In that case the payment only matters for calculating your interest, and your cost/hr is driven off depreciation. You've got it structured like a lease right now, which is fair if you always plan to have a boat payment I guess.

This is an important point. Cash flow is not the same thing as cost. Your cost is the interest plus depreciation. The cash that you pay towards principle (less depreciation) is not a cost. You are moving money from cash to an asset. For example, if your friends/riders all split the cost as you calculated, then at the end of 10 years when the loan is paid off, would it be fair that you own a boat worth some value (say $15k) even though everyone paid the same?

motosno963
02-21-2014, 02:48 AM
my truck and boat are paid off..but i have basically two sled payments ha.. if i paid off the house i would deff be looking to upgrade my boat. i also hear this every summer " you have 22,000$ tied up in your drive way, why dont you sell it and have money put away?" because the time spent with fam and friends on the water is worth way more then the 20k in my account. plus thats more money i have to drop on a new boat haha

Cody
02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
You could also budget the following:

Launch fees/parking fees (if they apply).
Snacks + drinks every trip.
Boat care products + detailing per year.

But like they said above, all of this price talk goes out the window when you can sit back and enjoy the water with family and friends.

I sold my boat a few years back so I hitch rides a lot down here and I'm glad to pay whatever the gas fee is.

saskyrider
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Ya when I was out at a friends cabin last summer for a weekend when we finished up I threw him 40 bucks for gas... and I did it in front of the other people in the boat... later my buddy pulled me aside and gave it back. He said the message I sent to the rest of the people in the boat was worth so much more than the 40 bucks.. no one had ever offered gas money before... he said its much better now. He was the first guy I called when I bought my new mondo..

Sent from my apple crushin android device

tarheelskier
02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
couple of thoughts:

1. agree with everyone that said time on the boat is priceless. We are building memories with our kids that they will cherish forever. My boys are good boys, but they never get along as well anywhere else as they do during a day on the boat

2. I am a numbers guy, and there is no way in this world that I want to know this true cost.

3. If you really want to know, then probably should add cost of new toys (boards, ropes, gopro, vests, the list could go on and on). Cost of new mods (this board is evil). Annual property taxes are not insignificant.

kaneboats
02-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Well, once upon a time I factored in the cost of taking 6 kids to the movies on a Sat. afternoon. Gotta have stuff to eat and drink and still need the Suburban to get there (minivan only holds 7 of us and we have 8). The boat was an absolute bargain (and I hate sitting in a movie theater on a nice Sat. afternoon plus the movie only lasts 90 min and then they want to go shopping or something on top of that). The truck has been paid off for 5 years now and still works great. We've upgraded the boat a couple of times (coming out a little ahead of what we paid) and put a little more into the boat so the payment is very reasonable. We purchase drinks and snacks in bulk to keep costs down and do our own maintenance. So far it's been a great plan and made our whole family closer. You should hear the kids cheer for each other.

This was my youngest getting up on the wakeboard for the first time last summer:

http://youtu.be/Gt77UX_ro5g

bergermaister
02-21-2014, 05:15 PM
"Daddy, what's a spreadsheet?"

Nevermind honey, daddy's deleting it right now.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/IMG_0940.jpg

mikenehrkorn
02-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Haha -- EXACTLY!!! BTW, very cute pic

2013 Outback V
2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

New Guy
02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Awesome guys and I completely agree with everyone that it is not about the cost but definitely something that needs to be considered otherwise we would all be cruising around in the latest and greatest.

bergermaister
02-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Are you trying to convince the wife,,,,, or yourself

New Guy
02-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Ummm.......a little of both.

bergermaister
02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
So ask yourself - what are you going to gain from a new(er) boat?

How long is your season?

Do either of those help justify the idea? ($ aside)

Then come back to what/where is your 02 lacking?

Would it make sense to pimp out the 02 a little more vs. upgrade?

For perspective - I used to think I'd jump on a newer boat in a heartbeat if the budget was there. But reality check is that our season ISN'T there. Came to the realization (yet again) I'd rather have more time on the water in THIS boat than make payments on something sitting in the driveway the majority of the year. Spend the $$ on more gas.

That's gotta be the 12,317th time you've heard that...

Now if I lived in a place with a 6-8 month season, I'm thinking the new(er) big(ger) boat idea would probably win out eventually.

EricU
02-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Some other numbers that I use:

Stereo upgrades +/- $7.5K
Ballast upgrades +/- $2.5K
A summer's worth of vacation food +/- $6k (as I am feeding everyone else's kids)
Boards, Ropes, Moomba Cozies +/- $3k
White Trash RGB LEDs +/- $1k (damn things are like potato chips)

Knowing where my kids are hanging out and who they are hanging out with!!! Cant put a price on it. Been worth every dime that I could have bought another house (down payment) and a new Vette with.

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.

i.e. just buy the damn boat, if you are on this forum you MUST be a boat nut!!

Boatdrinks797
02-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Ummm.......a little of both.

I stumbled across this thread last year about this time and got a kick out of it! It's the spousal conversion kit for boating! Good luck!

http://www.discoverboating.com/toolkit/spousalconvkit/

New Guy
02-22-2014, 11:44 AM
You guys are awesome. Both the wife and I want to upgrade and we can both justify it kinda.......

Berg I answer those question almost daily to myself and they all come back as upgrade. Our 02 served our purpose great and it is an awesome boat that is Pimped out:o but it is at the point of diminishing returns. Stereo is done, interior is done, ballast, ect. So it is time to quit adding cost when you know an upgrade is inevitable. The used market is really tough because to buy anything 5 years old or newer it seems the depreciation isn't really there with the cost of inflation ect people still want a small fortune. This puts a guy in a predicament do you spend the extra $10 ish and buy new??

Damn I am contradicting myself constantly lol.

evoimport6
02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Everytime I sold one of our boats my wife got mad at me! So logic has it I had to buy a newer better one!

mmandley
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM

HAHAHA I do this at times, more then I'd like to admit.

I'd like to tell you wait a summer and my Mojo will up for sale, but according to the talks with the Mrs, and the fact I bought a new truck before I was expecting pushed that back a bit. Mojo might be a few year boat now. Not that I'm complaining LOL

bergermaister
02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you just need to get a good price or trade on the 02 and it's "water under the bridge"!

New Guy
02-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you just need to get a good price or trade on the 02 and it's "water under the bridge"!

I'm with this guy lol.

zabooda
02-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice calculator. I'm about $32/hr but considering depreciation it would be around $50/month.

EricU
02-22-2014, 09:06 PM
You guys are awesome. Both the wife and I want to upgrade and we can both justify it kinda.......

Berg I answer those question almost daily to myself and they all come back as upgrade. Our 02 served our purpose great and it is an awesome boat that is Pimped out:o but it is at the point of diminishing returns. Stereo is done, interior is done, ballast, ect. So it is time to quit adding cost when you know an upgrade is inevitable. The used market is really tough because to buy anything 5 years old or newer it seems the depreciation isn't really there with the cost of inflation ect people still want a small fortune. This puts a guy in a predicament do you spend the extra $10 ish and buy new??

If you are asking these questions and your wife is behind you. I see you going new! Then you can start all over with the mods!!

New Guy
03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
So I posted this on FB but I didn't get to let the Moomba guys know........

There goes my girl, my whole world, but that ain't my truck.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/p526x296/1489092_10153914890170693_1394803166_n.jpg

sandm
03-21-2014, 09:26 AM
when you picking up the new mojo??

bergermaister
03-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Bitter Sweet. So the calculator worked ----- justified!

New Guy
03-21-2014, 09:43 AM
You betcha the calculator worked.

Scott I have a May build date so hopefully before June.

sandm
03-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I'd offer to take ya out prior to that, but I think you would be disappointed with my wakeboard wake.. not that the river will be unthawed. now surfing, you're more than welcome to catch a wave anytime :)

New Guy
03-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Oh I'll take you up on that.

EricU
03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Bitter Sweet. So the calculator worked ----- justified!

I LOVE it! Here's how that "calculator" worked...

I want it
I want it
I want it
NO! I NEED IT!
Done!

TJockey
03-21-2014, 01:43 PM

I want it
I want it
I want it
NO! I NEED IT!
Done!

BULLSEYE! That how it worked for me.:D

sandm
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM

I want it
I want it
I want it
NO! I NEED IT!
Done!

guess I didn't get the texas instruments scientific version. mine was simply:
1. I want it
2. done.

boater4life
03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
I'd offer to take ya out prior to that, but I think you would be disappointed with my wakeboard wake.. not that the river will be unthawed. now surfing, you're more than welcome to catch a wave anytime :)

The river is slightly open, we can get your boat in! I think your wake is good, I have fun on your boat. At least we won't be ice fishing on the 4th of July....

KG's Supra24
03-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Congrats on the sell and new purchase!

Hey wait, weren't you supposed to buy my boat?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sandm
03-22-2014, 06:51 AM
The river is slightly open, we can get your boat in! I think your wake is good, I have fun on your boat. At least we won't be ice fishing on the 4th of July....

ya, it's a decent wake but nothing like what a mondo will throw out ;)

New Guy
03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
KG The offer was never out there:cool: And I need a boat down that way to visit at some point.

Oh any time on the water is a good time SandM.

wolfeman131
03-22-2014, 09:49 AM
KG, don't feel bad. He had other offers he refused as well.

Sent from my 20175 using Tapatalk

New Guy
03-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Lol you guys are great! Thanks for the consulting Drew.

Stay awesome!

KT Mobius
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Your insurance numbers are high. You can't put a price on the best time of your life.

Nobodyrides4Free
03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Mark clear your messages so I can private message you Please. Sorry guys

Sharpshooter
03-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Your insurance numbers are high. You can't put a price on the best time of your life.

Agreed on the insurance, mines about half that with progressive on a 2013 LSV

2013 Moomba LSV

Mrd8ker
03-26-2014, 07:46 PM
EricU nailed it. Knowing where your kids are at and who they are with is invaluable. If you make your house and family activities enjoyable, your kids will stick around.

Thats how i justified this puppy in the back yard: