PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Hero 3 help/tips/links

tgoody14
02-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, just picked up a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and need all the info and help I can get...

What settings are you guys running on these go pros for lake time activities? FPS? Resolution?

It came with a 16gb, is this going to be big enough?

Also, what mounts should I look into?

Thanks,
Taylor

jpetty3023
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I also just bought one. so far I have the suction cup and extra helmet mount, plus what came in box. I downloaded the app to my iPhone and plan on running the camera thru my phone. I'm planning on picking up a pole and the clamp mount here pretty quick.

best I can tell from the gopro forum is to run the 1080 at 60fps for boat activities. anything higher blurs out? I bought a 32gig card just to be on safe side, the Hero 3 takes great video which will fill the card up pretty quick I'm afraid.

also gonna grab a few extra batteries, charger, and some type of case/bag to keep everything together on the boat

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
If you are planning and having some really smooth slow motion shots you can put it on 720p 120 fps. Also if you want a "pole" mount you can but a tripod mount and get a retractable xshot pole on amazon pretty cheap

Sent from my iPhone

tgoody14
02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Got mine used (can't tell) and it came with 3 standard attachment mounts (handle bar, 90degree, and some clip style mount), 2 batteries, remote, chargers, and a 16gb card

I got the app, downloaded the software and update, but what kind of programs do I need for editing!? And yes I plan on doing some slow motion stuff with the editing so thanks for the info on that!!!

Should I get a bigger card!?

jpetty3023
02-19-2014, 03:59 PM
I would get a bigger card yes

you can use gopro studio (free from gopro web page) or iMovie (apple)

tgoody14
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
I would get a bigger card yes

you can use gopro studio (free from gopro web page) or iMovie (apple)

With either of those can I do some slow motion editing and add music to a video!?

I did some playing around earlier and only had one hour of free space on that 16g.... Def gotta go bigger haha

What are most common settings you guys use for different things!?

Birdman
02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Do you guys know of a zoom lens for these thing I mount mine to the top of the hook on the tower and it's to far to get a good wakeboarding video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh

EricU
02-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Do you guys know of a zoom lens for these thing I mount mine to the top of the hook on the tower and it's to far to get a good wakeboarding video

I ran into the same problem when I first got mine and just stopped using it for anything other than mounting to the board or rider themselves and picked up a traditional quality JVC camcorder for the tower.

That fisheye lens isn't gonna do long shots

rdlangston13
02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Are you using a pc or Mac? If on a pc you can download windows live movie maker for free. The go pro software is VERT limited one what it enables you to do

Sent from my iPhone

tgoody14
02-20-2014, 06:20 PM
I have a Compaq PC laptop with windows 7. I basically just want to be able to edit some slow motion shots, add music, then upload to YouTube and/or Facebook... Any suggestions for programs without breaking the bank

tgoody14
03-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Uploading to YouTube or Vimeo question....

I've made a couple videos using GoPro Studio (3-4 minutes each). I have saved them in several different formats, but nothing seems to work when uploading to YT or Vimeo. I mean, they work but the quality goes to crap. I can watch the same exact file on my computer or upload it to Dropbox then email it to friends and it still looks amazing, but as soon as YT gets it and compresses it, it's not worth watching...

Anybody else run into this? Do I need to use some kind of Codec or is it just not possible to make my videos look as clear as the GoPro videos on YT???

I record in 720 60fps, I do a little slow mo, real time, speed up, and add music... Nothing fancy

Any suggestions?

Ohhhh and I upgraded and bought a brand new desktop, which is specifically designed for this kind of stuff...