PDA

View Full Version : Where should I install the sub?

Sampp1963
02-16-2014, 10:18 AM
I just bought a brand new Mondo at the Montréal boat show last week-end. Already, I'm thinking upgrades !! I would love to install a subwoffer.

The dealer is telling me to pu it at this location...look at this pic.

Note that this pic is my 2006 outback. The sub cover was only taped in place to see how it would look. I never actually drilled the hole.

What do you think ? Is that a good choice ? Dealer mentionned to me that would be the best for sound effect. If I say yes, they will drill the hole for me.

I'm not sure I like the idea of drilling a big hole in the boat pass through.

Thanks and have a great day everyone.

wolfeman131
02-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Take the advice of the experts on this forum over mine, but my guess is that they will point you to mounting the sub under the helm vs that location. There's plenty of room for the right-size enclosure in that area and it won't take up valuable storage space.

MLA
02-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Under the helm is the absolute best location for a sub in that boat and many others. Theres plenty of room to do a simple small sealed enclosure for a variety of 10 or 12 inch subs with little modification to the under helm area.

Sharpshooter
02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I hate to hijack a thread, but while yall are advising where to put sampp1963s first sub, my question is where would you put a second sub,I currently have 1 under the helm.

Sampp1963
02-16-2014, 09:51 PM
How does it sound David ? What sub did you installed ?

MLA
02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
I hate to hijack a thread, but while yall are advising where to put sampp1963s first sub, my question is where would you put a second sub,I currently have 1 under the helm.
A second sub in a boat, which is often located in a closed locker, becomes a boat shaker. Thats not a bad thing as its a second sub and it thats what you are after.

So, if you are after more bass output, here is how i would approach it. 1st, I would evaluate the current sub setup. Upgrading it could cost about the same as that 2nd sub and just might fit the bill. Lager sub, more power, different enclosure design or any combination of the 3. It would also take up less space in the boat and possibly be less of a current draw on the system. Another option would be to do 2 identical subs under the helm side by side.

Popular spots for a second sub = under the helm next to the 1st, port mid-ship locker and rear locker, although not my fav. Ive done dual 10's under the corner seat cushions in a couple of boats.

Sharpshooter
02-16-2014, 10:37 PM
How does it sound David ? What sub did you installed ?

My 2013 LSV came with a kicker KM10 mounted under the helm

2013 Moomba LSV

Sharpshooter
02-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Here's a pic of how my sub and amp is mountedhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/pyne6agu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/yjuzevuv.jpg

2013 Moomba LSV

jmvotto
02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Here's a pic of how my sub and amp is mountedhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/pyne6agu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/yjuzevuv.jpg

2013 Moomba LSV

David, I had that same setup in my 2012 xlv, that sub is just mounted free air to the board, it sounds terrible, it needs an enclosure. You can use that sub in an enclosure or upgrade as mla states, no real need for a 2nd sub if the first on is done right.

Here is a link to my install with lots of forum inputs.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17934-Custom-sub-box-mount-pics/page6&highlight=enclosure

For the OP, under the helm is the place to mount not in the walk way.

Sharpshooter
02-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info, think I will upgrade to a 12 inch sub and box it in

2013 Moomba LSV

Sampp1963
02-18-2014, 09:55 PM
So under the helm it will be.

Thanks again everyone

Sampp1963
03-06-2014, 06:51 PM
I heard that there is a panel just over the foot rest on a Mondo....and that the panel can be easily remove to install the sub??
Is that true? Anyone has pics?

mcdye
03-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I guess I was lazy as I did not have time nor the desire to build an enclosure. I went with the WS HT-AS10 all in one. I mounted it on under the dash on a Mojo. The front is sitting on the hump and the back is supported. Ran power under the floor near the tank, control from the WS420, cut a hole in the board and mounted the grill on it. I am not sure if the Mondo helm area is the same as a Mojo.

uniwarking
03-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I guess I was lazy as I did not have time nor the desire to build an enclosure. I went with the WS HT-AS10 all in one. I mounted it on under the dash on a Mojo. The front is sitting on the hump and the back is supported. Ran power under the floor near the tank, control from the WS420, cut a hole in the board and mounted the grill on it. I am not sure if the Mondo helm area is the same as a Mojo.

That's how I'd like to do mine. Is there room for a 12" sub/enclosure without removing the hump?

I have the non skid package and I like to stretch out and put my feet up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
03-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm in the process of constructing one that sits on the hump and stretches forward and down a few inches. You can get a 12" mostly on top of the hump (in a 2008 LSV-- yours should be pretty close). I lose no foot room other than about 2" x2" at the very top of the hump. I relocated some relays before and had to detach them to get it in but they can go right back in the same spot. I've constructed the box and test fit, but haven't done final assembly yet. I'll post some pics when it's done.

mcdye
03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
That's how I'd like to do mine. Is there room for a 12" sub/enclosure without removing the hump?

I have the non skid package and I like to stretch out and put my feet up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here I did not want to take hump out. For a 12" and to leave the hump, would definitly take some creative engineering of the enclosure. We are not hard core with the tunes, adding the WS 10" sub made a noticable difference for us. I had another boat with the factory Kicker open air sub, night and day difference with the WS.

uniwarking
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm in the process of constructing one that sits on the hump and stretches forward and down a few inches. You can get a 12" mostly on top of the hump (in a 2008 LSV-- yours should be pretty close). I lose no foot room other than about 2" x2" at the very top of the hump. I relocated some relays before and had to detach them to get it in but they can go right back in the same spot. I've constructed the box and test fit, but haven't done final assembly yet. I'll post some pics when it's done.

I would love to see some pictures! I'm a creative (engineer) type so I'm sure I can get something figured out... I like to look at others ideas though as well!

viking
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM

I have a 12" JLW3 in sealed enclosure on top of the hump. It's solid, kinda hidden, and thumps hard. Had to relocate the relay up under the dash and remove the steering column to get the enclosure squeezed in but it fits. UP and out of the way and away from any water as opposed to being on the floor and lost no leg room whatsoever. Keep in mind that is in an Outback so you guys should have a little extra room to work with?

Sampp1963
03-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Sorry for this question...but what is the hump??? Top of the foot rest?? I'm French speaking!!!

mcdye
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
the hump... older boats it was built into the boat floor under the driver helm and is the foot stop. Newer boats it is part of the floor but can be removed. In my earler post with the picture, the moomba mat is glued to it. Some guys have removed it to build a large sub enclosure. Mike (mmandley) has a thread that shows the piece removed. I cant seem to find it.

kaneboats
03-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Look at Newty's albums. He took it out and glassed in the floor before adding his sub. Way more than I was going to do to add my 12.

Sampp1963
03-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Look at Newty's albums. He took it out and glassed in the floor before adding his sub. Way more than I was going to do to add my 12.

I went to Newty's and didn't see any pics....

Sampp1963
03-08-2014, 03:40 PM
And another question....

Since sub and amp will be under the dash and under the glove box, do I need it install marine equipment?? No water will ever get there..

Sampp1963
03-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I went to Newty's and didn't see any pics....

Wrong answer.....just saw Newty's album....very nice job, just not sure I will go there!

Boonejeepin
03-09-2014, 10:13 AM
And another question....

Since sub and amp will be under the dash and under the glove box, do I need it install marine equipment?? No water will ever get there..

I would recommend marine rated gear. Hopefully no direct water contact but everything is exposed to moisture and Murphy's law says it will get wet somehow.

jstenger
03-09-2014, 01:28 PM
There is no "Hump" in your floor.

Sampp1963
03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
I would recommend marine rated gear. Hopefully no direct water contact but everything is exposed to moisture and Murphy's law says it will get wet somehow.

Yea good old Murphy!

Sampp1963
03-09-2014, 07:30 PM
There is no "Hump" in your floor.

Ok thanks. I think there's a panel over the foot rest that can be removed?

jstenger
03-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Ok thanks. I think there's a panel over the foot rest that can be removed?

Yes, there is a carpeted panel on top that gets removed first. Then you remove the cupholder. Finally, you pull out the footrest. There are pictures floating around that show this.

Sampp1963
03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Yes, there is a carpeted panel on top that gets removed first. Then you remove the cupholder. Finally, you pull out the footrest. There are pictures floating around that show this.

Joe, I tough I could only remove the panel and install the sub directly on it....cause I bought the non skid option for the foot rest...don't want to scrap it.
I'll try to find the pics..

jstenger
03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
This is a picture of Mandley's Mojo with the footrest removed.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/GosmsPhoto1360193871547_zps722deff6.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/GosmsPhoto1360193871547_zps722deff6.jpg.html)

Sampp1963
03-09-2014, 08:41 PM
This is a picture of Mandley's Mojo with the footrest removed.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/GosmsPhoto1360193871547_zps722deff6.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/GosmsPhoto1360193871547_zps722deff6.jpg.html)

Can you leave the foot rest and place the sub over it?

moombadaze
03-09-2014, 08:59 PM
sampp, yes you can leave the hump in place, just less foot room is all

kaneboats
03-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Goodness. Please get permission from the wife before you post his self like that. Guys. Come on.

Sampp1963
03-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Goodness. Please get permission from the wife before you post his self like that. Guys. Come on.

Oups, won't do it again!