PDA

View Full Version : XM9 or SXT9

smitty75
01-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Trying to pull the trigger on some new tower speakers, and can't decide between the Exile XM9 and SXT9. I wakeboard probably 50% of the time, and surf/relax probably 50%. I'm only looking to add 2 tower speakers.

I was all set to go for the XM9, but then started seeing posts about the harshness in/near the boat. I'm really the only person that wakboards out of my boat, everyone else just comes to hang out and/or surf a few runs. But I would enjoy hearing tunes at wake length, even if it's not cranking sound.

Any thoughts? Don't know if the SXT9 will send enough sound for wakeboarding, or if I should just go for the XM9 and use the mode switch if necessary to tune down the highs.

uniwarking
01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't know from experience but I have a similar situation to you. Brian from Exile recommended the SXT9's for me. I'm hoping to get them myself in the next few months.

I think you'll be able to hear them at wakeboard length... maybe not ultra loud or clear but certainly better than most tower speakers.

Boonejeepin
01-31-2014, 06:54 PM
I went XM9 and use a PAC LC1 to control the power to the XM9s. Turn it to 20% for chillin, 50% for surfin, and 100% for wakeboard length.

Will go to a ZLD or the newest unit sometime in the near future but the PAC LC1 is an inexpensive interim solution.

EricU
01-31-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't have Exiles, but went with four of the WS non-HLCD Icon8s as our music listening is mostly while cruising around or in the cove and not while boarding - People need to hear me cry like a baby when I hit!

So it depends on how and when you listen to your music. But also remember, there is no such thing as too many RGBs!

moombadaze
01-31-2014, 07:03 PM
have a xm9's myself--we surf 99% of the time, no issues for us with them

ian ashton
01-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Both! That's what I did!

I've run a pair of XM9s for the last few seasons and they are great, just need a dedicated volume control. I am adding a pair of SXT9s and another amp to give me a little more bottom end and versatility. I'll control volume between the 2 pairs with a Kicker dual zone controller, and overall tower volume with the ZLD.

bergermaister
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Uh, don't kid yourself. After being in many boats with many brands/types of speakers up top, anything cranked up to blast back 80ft for you to hear is going to be a bit punishing for those in the boat. You can use a zone controller or separate volume as mentioned to turn down the cabin, but a set of towers pounding tunes at 20ish mph is going to be LOUD in the boat no matter what.

Coming from a guy with mod-severe hearing loss on one side.... :(

beat taco
01-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Go big! Easy to turn down but if your at 80' for half your riding go big.

Woody929
01-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Been thinking the same thing for when I pull the trigger in March, but I think I'm leaning towards a Hybrid system. Anybody done 4 speakers on the OZ (don't recall seeing pictures)?

smitty75
01-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Well I talked to the guys over at exile again, and decided on the SXT's. They seemed to have a lot of good things to say about them, and ended up a few hundred bucks cheaper. Guess I can use that for a new light bar after I take off the roswell rack.

I gotta say that the guys over at exile seem like a good group. I've been looking at a stereo upgrade for a while now, And after going between them and some other brands, I feel pretty confident I made the right choice. Customer service seems to be top notch.

Boonejeepin
01-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Brian and the Exile crew are top notch!

rca
01-31-2014, 10:05 PM
The Exile guys are great. I've got 4 SXT9s on my boat. They sound great surfing and wakeboarding. I have no problem with them at wakeboard length. We were actually down in the lake last year and my friends were on their deck up on the hill and said they could hear the music clearly.

You'll love them.

Brianinpdx
02-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Smitty - Thanks for going with Exile. If you need help with the install or tuning, we are only a phone call away. We actually like to be involved in the setup. If for some reason that the SXT9 is not the right speaker for you, let me know. I know some guys that know some guys and we'll do some swapping around.

Guys always ask me "which is the right setup..." but the truth is, you'll have to answer the question for yourself. I typically suggest going with XM9's if the tower plan is for 1 pair of speakers. And 4 SXT9 if you intend to go into a 4 speaker setup. But thats my pref... not anyone else's.

-Brian

smitty75
02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Smitty - Thanks for going with Exile. If you need help with the install or tuning, we are only a phone call away. We actually like to be involved in the setup. If for some reason that the SXT9 is not the right speaker for you, let me know. I know some guys that know some guys and we'll do some swapping around.

Guys always ask me "which is the right setup..." but the truth is, you'll have to answer the question for yourself. I typically suggest going with XM9's if the tower plan is for 1 pair of speakers. And 4 SXT9 if you intend to go into a 4 speaker setup. But thats my pref... not anyone else's.

-Brian

I'd love to throw another set of the SXT9's on the tower, just need to scrape up some more funds. Trying to work in a ballast upgrade at the same time. If you guys get any deals coming up on a set or if you get any demo's for sale, please let me know as I would definitely grab 2 more. Thanks again.

mmandley
02-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Been running 6 XM9s and we Surf 90% of the time. I keep it cranked.
The real key is to have seperate volume for the 9s.
Also with the switch to adjust how the horn sounds is a plus because in the Mojo the tower is almost over the driver so the people in the back get blasted.

So fare no one really complains about getting blasted, normaly they are just fine with the volume, ALL THE WAY UP!!!

I run my Exile system hard, real hard, makes for good testing of the durability of the components.

I have been toying with trying the new SXT9s and I might throw a 6 pack up for a bit this summer to see how it goes.

jpetty3023
02-01-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm looking at upgrading my tower set up before the TX Jam. currently waiting on a quote for (4) SXT9's and new amps. want to gut the 2 amps I have now and tower speakers and throw in exile amps and towers for now then if that price is right I will do cabins and sub next for a full on exile set up. maybe I win the cabins at the jam!! if only.....

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

brain_rinse
02-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't think you can go wrong either way, but based on your description I'd go SXT9s.

mmandley
02-01-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm looking at upgrading my tower set up before the TX Jam. currently waiting on a quote for (4) SXT9's and new amps. want to gut the 2 amps I have now and tower speakers and throw in exile amps and towers for now then if that price is right I will do cabins and sub next for a full on exile set up. maybe I win the cabins at the jam!! if only.....

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

We talked price bro, Hit me up if your having an issue getting the gear for the price we talked about.

Boonejeepin
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
My XM9s are too quiet, what's wrong? Oh yeah, I should be at the lake with them on the tower and not sitting at home.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/02/ege4y4ab.jpg

uniwarking
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Brian, your inbox is full!

Brianinpdx
02-03-2014, 02:05 AM
sorry Uniwarking - hit me up at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help you out, give you system info or what ever you need.

SEAHAWKS ARE NU<BER 1 :<><><> Ok, just had too :)

motosno963
02-03-2014, 03:31 AM
id love to upgrade to 4x xm9's

uniwarking
02-03-2014, 11:24 AM
sorry Uniwarking - hit me up at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help you out, give you system info or what ever you need.

SEAHAWKS ARE NU<BER 1 :<><><> Ok, just had too :)

That wasn't even a game last night!

I sent you an email string from last year, hopefully we can get a deal worked out!

bergermaister
02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
My XM9s are too quiet, what's wrong? Oh yeah, I should be at the lake with them on the tower and not sitting at home.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/02/ege4y4ab.jpg

Funny guy. Mine are in a similar hibernation on the shelf...

uniwarking
02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm happy to report that I now have a pair of SXT9's and a 800.4 amp on the way.... now if the cold and snow could just magically disappear! Thanks for the help Brian@Exile!

Now I just need to update the cabin setup!

smitty75
02-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Welcome aboard. Now I guess we just have to get them installed and wait for the damn weather to warm up a little bit.

rdlangston13
02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Been thinking the same thing for when I pull the trigger in March, but I think I'm leaning towards a Hybrid system. Anybody done 4 speakers on the OZ (don't recall seeing pictures)?

Just go with 4 xm9s and be done with it

Sent from my iPhone

Woody929
02-04-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm now considering 4 SXT's. I've still got a month to ponder it. I'm going for the works though, amps, towers, sub. Will leave the stock cabins for now.

Boonejeepin
02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm now considering 4 SXT's. I've still got a month to ponder it. I'm going for the works though, amps, towers, sub. Will leave the stock cabins for now.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Unless you are a only wakeboard guy.

Woody929
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Right now it's 90/10, but that number will be balancing out this summer. When Brian was on the boat last year, his recco was the 4 SXTs for us

Brianinpdx
02-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Made the three hour drive tonight with the wife and kids from Portland to Seattle and got checked into a hotel thats on the parade route----GO SEAHAWKS!!!! Parade is tomorrow :)

@ Woody If I remember right, I joined you on the dock and hopped a ride through the cut? You had your wife and child with you... The way I see things is, if you go with 4 SXT9 you end up with a LOT of sound on the tower that is dynamic and pleasurable and family (read wife) approved. If you go with 4 XM9, you end up with a tower sound that offers more projection out to the rider. However its got more of a live sound. Guys like Langston are going to prefer this setup because its a bit more sharper. If you think thats the ticket - don't forget that you can flip the internal switch on the XM9's and dampen down the horn a bit. It's pretty easy to do. Balancing either of these two setups is important with a good cabin / sub upgrade.

jmvotto
02-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Just go with 4 xm9s and be done with it

Sent from my iPhone

x2 here you'll be happy!!!;)

Woody929
02-06-2014, 12:58 AM
No kids with us, but all the rest is correct. I'll give you a call next month and we'll get it set up. At least by then we should start to be a little warmer, and I'd be able to get started on the install. No sense in having the stuff here in boxes now... taunting me.

jstenger
05-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Also with the switch to adjust how the horn sounds is a plus because in the Mojo the tower is almost over the driver so the people in the back get blasted.

Mike, what exactly does the switch on the XM9's do? Thanks.

mmandley
05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Mike, what exactly does the switch on the XM9's do? Thanks.

I think the fancy term is attenuate the Horn Driver.

In reality what it sounds like is the horn doesn't start projecting for a few feet.

With the Switch on +3 <if i recall> and on a tower that is over the center of the cabin or the windshield like mine is, then the Horn is full power by the back seat, and the people in the back seat are getting blasted with the horn.

On -3 <if i recall> the horn is much tamer and seems to get really loud once its past the rear seats. This allows it to not over power your cabin as much and yet still project to your riders.

I know this isn't as technical as MLA or AudoDave but this is my best real world explanation LOL.

jstenger
05-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the fancy term is attenuate the Horn Driver.

In reality what it sounds like is the horn doesn't start projecting for a few feet.

With the Switch on +3 <if i recall> and on a tower that is over the center of the cabin or the windshield like mine is, then the Horn is full power by the back seat, and the people in the back seat are getting blasted with the horn.

On -3 <if i recall> the horn is much tamer and seems to get really loud once its past the rear seats. This allows it to not over power your cabin as much and yet still project to your riders.

I know this isn't as technical as MLA or AudoDave but this is my best real world explanation LOL.

Thanks for the explanation. I originally thought the switch shut the horn off.