PDA

View Full Version : Water over the bow?

Packman
01-16-2014, 01:34 AM
I have a 04 LSV and keep hearing about it and the Outback V taking water over the bow anyone had this problem before? Sounds like someone just not paying attention to the water or wakes of other boats.Thanks

viking
01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
paying attention or not, eventually a roller or 2 ends up inside :)
Mostly happens when I have someone else pulling me. Less likely on models with larger draft but the Outback and Outback V it's easier to have happen for sure.

Suprahunter
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Usually driver error.

Wax
01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Usually driver error.

Or driver doing it on purpose to get people in the front soaking wet ;)

sicktc06
01-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Who would ever do such a thing?! :rolleyes:
I'll never forget the time we had the boat LOADED down with sacs and 8 people. Had people up front and the rider fell. Dropped throttle, made my turn, right into a roller from another boat. I saw it coming, tried throttling up to avoid a submarine but...... TSUNAMI!!!!!!!!! The nose didn't pick up in time and shot straight into the roller like a torpedo. People on the back bench even got soaked on that one! Fun times, fun times!

KG's Supra24
01-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Ha Stephen, reminds me of a time I drenched a guy that fell asleep in the bow. Great time. I've also been known to see how close I can get to it coming over in an effort to fake out the people in the bow.

It's avoidable but inevitably there will be a time you aren't paying attention, a buddy is driving, a huge roller comes through when you can't position, etc and you take one over the bow.

A pic of Dusty cutting close ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0298.jpg

bergermaister
01-16-2014, 12:22 PM
^ Awesomeness. Good way to clean the carpet!

We tend to take rollers more when surfing heavy than any other time.

kaneboats
01-16-2014, 12:54 PM

I resemble that remark. Heh heh heh.

wolfeman131
01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
A pic of Dusty cutting close ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0298.jpg

I drove Dusty's boat at the TX Jam 2 yrs ago and had to get back to a rider quick and wasn't used to the delay with such a big boat, totally sacked out and I shot a wall of H2O into his ride. I blamed it on the carb vs fuel-injection. Regardless, it allowed me to go back to drinking.

jester
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
From time to time you will take water over the bow. Some boats take more water because of how low in the water the bow is. It is not always driver error. I have a OBV and take a wave over the bow once or twice a year and it happens in March when everyone is trying to stay warm. I have to watch the wave a lot more when we are surfing because of the added weight. The best saying is you are on a boat and you are going to get wet.

JPAGE
01-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I do it all the time to "cool off" the folks up front! :p It is preventable if you pay attention.. It is all so very easy to do once you learn how to. ;)

moombadaze
01-16-2014, 05:13 PM
done it will all 3 of mine, some on purpose, some not. felt really bad one time and only one time when it happened-got some ones phone wet.

motosno963
01-16-2014, 05:27 PM
i have done it a few times..my bow sits like a foot out the water. i ahve came around a few times and throttled down and was watching my buddy in the water and would catch my own wake and have some come over.

KG's Supra24
01-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I drove Dusty's boat at the TX Jam 2 yrs ago and had to get back to a rider quick and wasn't used to the delay with such a big boat, totally sacked out and I shot a wall of H2O into his ride. I blamed it on the carb vs fuel-injection. Regardless, it allowed me to go back to drinking.

Come on now SC guru ... the 24 pair isn't that old. I think fuel injection started in 03 or 04.

The 24 just drives like a slug, especially when loaded with 3k+. It does take getting used to. I heard you cleaned off the windshield though!!!

moombadaze
01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
I heard you cleaned off the windshield though!!! if you are going to dip the bow, at least do it right, and it sound like it was this time. you got to at least get the peeps sitting in the cabin too

jester
01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
if you are going to dip the bow, at least do it right, and it sound like it was this time. you got to at least get the peeps sitting in the cabin too

Yes if you are going to do it then you have to do it right. I have sunk the bow that the wave cleared the windshield and got the passenger sitting just behind the windshield socked. The two people in the bow had no chance at all.

BensonWdby
01-17-2014, 12:10 AM
I would say spearing your own wake is the most common - but I don't boat i busy water. I would naver take my 99 Mobius in high seas or even on a busy river - just because of the low freeboard at the nose. We first found out by accident if you come about quickly/sharply and throttle down - it is almost inevitable. Your choices are to either throttle up before you ht the wave OR get the boat more parallel to the roller. If you are sideways to the roller you just get an awkward waggle. If you are perpendicular to it and at no/low throttle - you cuold easily tke on a lot of water.

skiyaker
01-17-2014, 01:38 AM
I used to take rollers frequently in my OBV until I learned how not to- now I never do unless I want to. My buddy has a Tige which the salesman assured him is a "dry boat" and I make it a point to soak his carpet at least twice a summer.

kaneboats
01-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I would say spearing your own wake is the most common - low freeboard at the nose. come about quickly/sharply and throttle down - almost inevitable.

In my Outback I'd say to the kids up in the bow, "Hey, grab me a beer when you're back there." "Back where?" WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !! "Yea, back there!"

KSmith
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Only done it once in mine. We came upon a huge set of rollers from tubers running circles, I had a pregnant lady on board and was told by my wife to not bounce her around much, I had to throttle down to avoid crashing through the rollers so we ended up submarining through two of them, water over the windshield, everyone is now soaking wet but I at least didn't bounce the lady... opened my floor hatch to the center drain to let the water get to the bilge pump, kicked on all ballast pumps to drain the bags and get us higher in the water and idled back to the rider and then the dock... good times :-)

mmandley
01-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Dunked the nose of the LSV several times, mainly when running IBS full for surfing.

Only dunked the Mojo 2x. 1st was just not paying attention and nose dived my own roller.

2nd was stupidity i think. I had the all 3000lbs filled for surfing. 1500 rear, 500 center, 650 ibs and 450 sac in the bow, plus too healthy guys.

Thought I would switch from Reg to Goofy in the rear, using that new cross over pump, tankes about 4 minutes to flip sides.
I was cruising at 5mph and all the sudden the rear balanced out from the water weight changing, I happened to come to idle and litterally burried the nose. I was sinking at the bow. I had to throttle up, till my 2 buddies came to the back of the boat LOL.

Was a bit scary to come to idle and my nose just go under water.

Since then When its time to rotate reg to goofy we sit with the boat still, and no Men in the bow LOL.

chadjitsu1
01-17-2014, 03:53 PM
No matter how it happens it usually scares the hell out of me. I am not a fan. Normally I do this when surfing, the wife does it all the time. Sometimes I leave the bow cover on when we go out for a quick set and that has saved us.

Hillbilly
01-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I've buried the nose a few times when its been busy out. And a few friends have buried it not paying attention.

I DESPISE powerturners......And only do it when needed

How many of you guys Powerturn? Because that is part of the problem in itself.

Most of us with heavy boats know how to turn around without sending huge rollers right????

If I power turned where I ride and who I ride with they would throw me overboard.....lol

My method for picking up a falenrider is after they fall....
cut throttle....If your running nose heavy watch the bow
then just as the boat is almost even in the water the wake causes a "push"
I turn the wheel to the right and it kicks around( if REAL heavy in the nose start the turn a little earlier)
then cruise back to the rider
No wake to plow through or bury your rider.......
You can also turn to the left if need.

Is this the same method most of you folks use?

996scott
01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Ummmm, love that "wet carpet" smell.... I think it is inevitable even if you are very carful. I think it happened twice the first weekend we were out with our lsv.

Boonejeepin
01-17-2014, 10:20 PM
I've buried the nose a few times when its been busy out. And a few friends have buried it not paying attention.

Most of us with heavy boats know how to turn around without sending huge rollers right????

If I power turned where I ride and who I ride with they would throw me overboard.....lol

I turn the wheel to the right and it kicks around( if REAL heavy in the nose start the turn a little earlier)

Sounds about right for me. Key is to let the wake pass you then turn.

mmandley
01-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Sounds about right for me. Key is to let the wake pass you then turn.

Thats how we do it, I have had Russ on my boat enough, and I have driven his enough that we both are very careful not to power turn, and wait for your rollers to pass.

beat taco
01-18-2014, 12:12 AM
It blows my mind how many wakeboats power turn!

jester
01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
It blows my mind how many wakeboats power turn!

Your mind must get blown every weekend during the summer. I really wish we could stop them and let them know how bad it is.

beat taco
01-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Your mind must get blown every weekend during the summer. I really wish we could stop them and let them know how bad it is.

Yup. It's either wakeboats pulling tubes into the best water with no care for people trying to ride or power turns. I've given up on holding them to a higher standard. I would love to bring out the shovel guy to hook these people up with a face full of shovel.

chadjitsu1
01-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Ok guys if you don't know how to drive a boat its time to review the "NASCAR Ned" video. This guy is spot on with his technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWZKJwXvdh8

Boonejeepin
01-18-2014, 01:47 PM
NASCAR Ned is way too conservative for me.

rdlangston13
01-18-2014, 03:45 PM

This is our standard practice but some times there will be a down rider in the water and a large lizard nearby, in those situations we tend to be guilty of the power turn...

Sent from my iPhone

jester
01-18-2014, 04:18 PM
This is our standard practice but some times there will be a down rider in the water and a large lizard nearby, in those situations we tend to be guilty of the power turn...

Sent from my iPhone

I thought the large lizards are motivation not to fall?

moombadaze
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
no power turns, unless there is a lizard factor or some ass in a boat bearing down on my fallen rider, or the worst-lake lice in the area

bergermaister
01-18-2014, 10:45 PM
How often, say average per summer, do you have lizard factors in FL or TX

kaneboats
01-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Worst in mid May around here as it's mating season. Most of the time during daylight hours there is nothing to worry about. But, keep your EYES open. And, stay out of the water at night.

moombadaze
01-19-2014, 11:28 AM
How often, say average per summer, do you have lizard factors in FL or TX every time we go out, its in the back of my mind there in the water with us, even when not seen and that may be the spookiest part. I usually see one gator every six months just in the retention ponds along the roads

BensonWdby
01-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I had heard every body of water in Florida has at least one gator in it.

saskyrider
01-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I sunk my nose 3 times in the 3 years i owned my lsv. first was inexperience... scared my wife pretty badly..... oops. Second time was because my step son and a couple buddies were in the nose and bein lippy.. third time was when i was having trouble with oil pressure switch and engine shut down as i was coming back into my wake...

A buddy of mine has an 02 Malibu VLX and we had it dumped hard one evening and my other buddy driving. took water over the nose so hard it soaked the underside of the sun shade from splashing off the windshield... bilge ran for a long time after that one...

wolfeman131
01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Second time was because my step son and a couple buddies were in the nose and bein lippy..

loved it when we had the OBV and the Mother In Law would be up there and start yappin'

rdlangston13
01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
How often, say average per summer, do you have lizard factors in FL or TX

Kind if the same as the Florida boys, you are likely to see one march to may if the river is not real crowded, then they kind of disappear until mid to late sept and then you see them all the way up until we stop riding at the end of November. I see more than one every 6 months, like in the fall it's usually like 2 or 3 in one day.

If there is a lot of traffic out it tends to scare them away

Sent from my iPhone

wolfeman131
01-20-2014, 09:21 PM
If there is a lot of traffic out it tends to scare them away

No it doesn't. They just disappear under the water.

Watching.

Waiting.

Wondering.

"Will it taste like chicken?"

rdlangston13
01-21-2014, 12:48 PM
No it doesn't. They just disappear under the water.

Watching.

Waiting.

Wondering.

"Will it taste like chicken?"

Out of sight out of mind

Sent from my iPhone

sicktc06
01-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Out of sight out of mind

Sent from my iPhone
The Lizzy or the rider once that thing snatches you under?

Daisypup
08-07-2014, 12:38 PM
When surfer drops turn steering wheel to start turn into surf side. Then go to neutral. The wave turns the boat to finish the turn as you get hit by 2-3 waves. Boat is now through the waves, back in gear and pick up your rider. I found that if the boat is in gear with any amount of forward power, the boat noses into the wave and water comes over the bow. Just start the turn, go neutral & roll through the waves. Pick up takes slightly longer, but worth it.

parrothd
08-08-2014, 04:52 PM
I wasn't paying attention the other day and hit one of my rollers. Filled the entire bow, water was above the speakers..

moombahighrider
08-10-2014, 04:35 PM
I wasn't paying attention the other day and hit one of my rollers. Filled the entire bow, water was above the speakers..

That's scary right there! I've never taken on that much water. Did you just rely on the bilge pump to deal with it?

parrothd
08-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Yep, just kept surfing..

liquid_acid
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I have a 98 outback and am in a rough lake. Rollers over the bow happen. Nothing for a 60' yacht to go ploughing by you while you are picking up a rider.