PDA

View Full Version : Carb Problems

98outback
02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
The boat starts and idles fine. When I push the handle to accelerate it starts to go and then shuts off. Sounds like it is running out of gas. I have replaced the accelerator pump. I plan to replace the fuel filter this week. I disconnected the fuel lines and turn the boat over and gas came out the lines. But could the fuel pump not be pumping enough gas? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Buttafewcoe
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Check your anti-siphon valve at the gas tank. Mine gave the same symptoms....the valve was sticking. You could also check that the float isn't hanging or the needle isn't sticking in the bowl.
Hope this helps
B

Jon
03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I have had a similar problem before, but with EFI. I would throttle up, start to go then hesitate, almost dying. Then it was power on up like normal. Turns out it was a clogged fuel filter. I'd check that first thing.

98outback
03-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I am not familiar with the anti syphon valve on the gas tank. Could you explain a little more. I will take a look at it tonight and see . Thanks for all the info. I am picking up a new fuel filter tomorrow.

Rusten
03-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I believe the anti-siphon valve is the very small "check-valve" style connector that attaches your gas hose (from the fuel pump) to the gas tank. On my 2000 Kanga, it is directly behind the back seat, in the storage area, driver's side. With my boat there is a protrusion in that area with a carpeted panel that is attached by three screws. Removing the screws allows me to remove that carpeted panel and access the connectors for the gas tank.

The 90 degree connector that attaches to a 3/4" line (if memory serves) is the gas supply line that runs to the fuel pump. If you can loosen the pipe clamp and pry the hose off (very difficult for this particular attachment), you can poke a screwdriver in and push the ball (again, similar to a check valve) bank and forth to un-stick the unit, possibly spraying silicone or WD40 there.

I once had a similar problem after changing out the fuel pump. Essentially the line needed to be primed, otherwise this valve wouldn't allow gas to get picked up.

One important note on the fuel pump. These things can DEFINITELY go bad. When the key is left on in the ignition (in running mode, not simply in the middle-on mode) the fuel pump continues running. Easy to see how one engine stall can turn into a bad fuel pump.

Hope this helps!

98outback
03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I forgot to mention i have a 1998 outback. I am picking up the fuel filter this afternoon the way home. Thanks for all the info. I am going to check the anti syphon also. I will post replies as soon as I have this done and tested in my lake.

AZ_Calling
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I had a similar problem with my boat. When I would accelerate, the boat would hesitate and studder but never stall. I increased the Idle a little bit and that seemed to fix it. Although I have only been out once since the adjustment. I am going out this weekend and will let you know if I still have the problem.

Buttafewcoe
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Also, check to see that the carb isn't sucking air as you accelerate. You may want to check that the PCV valve that it isn't sticking and any vacume lines aren't dry rotted causing a vacume leak. Also check the carb mounting bolts. Over time they may allow air to seep in causing hesitation upon acceleration.
Hope this helps
B

98outback
03-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I changed the fuel filter out last night and checked all the hoses. Everything looks good as of right now. I have not had a chance to put it in the water yet. Will it hurt if I put water remove in the tank just to be sure there is not water in the gas. It only has about half a tank of gas right now.

98outback
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
forgot to ask this. since i replaced the fuel filter should i just start the boat on the hose or do i need to prime it somehow since the filter is empty now.

Buttafewcoe
03-07-2006, 04:17 PM
You shouldn't have to prime it. The electric fuel pump should pull it through. Turn the ignition key on for a min or two. You should hear the pump hum until pressure is built up in the line
Hope this helps
B

98outback
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I did all the things listed and I did have water in my gas. I drained it and changed the fuel filter but still had problems. I went on and had the carb reuilt and have not had any problems since. I appreciate all who chimed in.