PDA

View Full Version : GPS Unit or App

spader
12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Just curious if anyone uses a certain brand of GPS unit or an app in their Moomba. I won't have a home lake and would like to be able to use something as we move from lake to lake next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

zabooda
12-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I use a Garmin hand held with the detailed map which works great when determining the shallow areas as it marks your route. If you just want a general location, I use my tablet running off of Google map in satellite mode. The satellite view is easier to comprehend.

Boatdrinks797
12-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Are you using it stay off the rocks or find your way back to the landing when on the big water? Our cabin is out by Detroit Lakes, MN and we stay pretty stationary on our lake. My depth finder hasn't failed me yet and I would save the cash for gas money and find a good map app that would work for navigating back home.

cornrickey
12-31-2013, 01:31 AM
I use Back Country Navigator. Have for about 5 years now. It allows you to down load a area to memory so you can use it with no data signal. Keeps trip data and tracks.

spader
12-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Are you using it stay off the rocks or find your way back to the landing when on the big water? Our cabin is out by Detroit Lakes, MN and we stay pretty stationary on our lake. My depth finder hasn't failed me yet and I would save the cash for gas money and find a good map app that would work for navigating back home.

We will have a depth finder in the Mondo, so it would be more for finding our way. I was thinking that I could maybe just use the Google map app but I wasn't sure if other apps such as those made by Navionics offer any additional useful features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Suprahunter
12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
A friend told me about an App called Maverick. It has a record feature so you can follow your path back. I haven't used it yet but it looks like it will work and its FREE.

parrothd
12-31-2013, 10:31 AM
I have navionics app for my phone, for lakes and rivers, they may have data for your lakes. I never use it though, I just use Google maps...

You can make the Google maps app cache the map info ahead of time if you don't have data access on the lake..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Henri3
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
I have the 10$ navionics app also and I mainly use it for fishing but Im sure it would work great for new lakes, tells you the depth, speed and shows contour lines. It doesn't however track your course but you can mark as many spots as you want on any lake or river and it saves it for you.

Woody929
12-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I have the 10$ navionics app also and I mainly use it for fishing but Im sure it would work great for new lakes, tells you the depth, speed and shows contour lines. It doesn't however track your course but you can mark as many spots as you want on any lake or river and it saves it for you.

Sure it creates tracks. I use it all the time on new water. I do still miss my side scan sonar/gps chart plotter from my fishing days though.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/jy4uhetu.jpg

rdlangston13
01-02-2014, 06:29 PM
+1 for navionics on my iPhone. It's the bomb.com

Sent from my iPhone

Woody929
01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
+1 for navionics on my iPhone. It's the bomb.com

Sent from my iPhone

It sure helped me last summer on the T, tracking distance traveled, finding the cut, and staying in the safe water once inside.

rdlangston13
01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
The T, once through the cut, is so easy! Just stay in the middle 1/3 lol

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
01-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Used Google Maps a lot on my S3 last summer at Lake Martin. Pretty big lake and nice to know where we were. Plotted some marinas and stuff and always found the right cut to return home. Just hard to see the screen in the sunshine with or without shades on.