PDA

View Full Version : Preparing to Buy an Outback

Wolf-
02-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok, guys and gals, I'm about ready to purchase a new Moomba Outback.
I've been to the dealer in Atlanta, and like the attitude of the sales staff and of the service staff. After looking at the comparably priced ski boats on the market, I've settled on the Moomba line.

I am in the process of debating the Outback vs the Outback V.
Couple of things in play:

1. Money. The outback V will be about $5000 more than the Outback, similarly outfitted. In payments, thats only about $75 a month more.
2. Kids. My littlest one is 6, and only about 40" tall. The low sides on the Outback are a bit disconcerting, but he will a) learn to watch the sides b) learn to swim.
3. Wakeboarding and Kneeboarding, the Outback V seems to be the better craft out of the blocks, even without ballast system installed. If I sac the Outback, will it generate quality beginner and intermediate level wakes?

Thanks.

stang67
02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
If you sack out the outback it will make a good beginering wake, if you sack it out with alot of wake you can get an intermediate wake. But if you go with the Outback V is more faimly friendly with everyone being seated closer together, as well as a better wake. I think the V would be worth it, but then again its all up to you. Do you see yourself skiing more or wakeboarding more. Cruising or watersports more, many things to think about.

Eric

qb12
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Kind of depends on what you are really looking for in a boat.

Do you plan on having more than 3 to 4 people with you. If you go with the vdrive. There is nothing more of a pain when you stop with a bunch of people and everyone is trying to get around the engine box of the direct drive.

also the outback v you will have more storage.

just my thoughts.

doug

qb12
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Kind of depends on what you are really looking for in a boat.

Do you plan on having more than 3 to 4 people with you. If you go with the vdrive. There is nothing more of a pain when you stop with a bunch of people and everyone is trying to get around the engine box of the direct drive.

also the outback v you will have more storage.

just my thoughts.

doug

Dave A
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I would get the Outback V. I have small kids and bought the Mobius LS. I love the boat, but having the motor in the back would give tons more room. Also, when someone is skiing you can use the pylon and have someone in the back seat. I looked at the Outback, trying to be frugal, and my wife, of all people, told me to get what I wanted. I think you will be happy with either boat, the v-drive will just give you alot more room.

Wolf-
02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, some great additional thoughts.

In order of usage:
1. Kneeboarding
2. Wakeboarding
3. Tubing
4. Cruising
5. Skiiing.

Passengers:
1. Family of Four
2. Six more friends.

Hadn't considered the loss of the back seats when using the pylon for skiing.
The Outback is AWSA approved for 3 event, is the Outback V approved for anything yet?
(waiting on email reply from AWSA)

smokedog2
02-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Using the back seats is KEY! My friend with a 89 Supra DD just bought a 05 Supra V. Using the back seats while pulling was the reason and he is a skier.

I have the V. Kids age 3-16 on board with two dogs, no one has fallen out yet.

moombadaze
02-27-2006, 08:25 PM
wolf, ive got the same boat so to spek-2003 mobius v drive, a family of 3
mostly just us but a few times with about 7 and its nice to have the room,
really dont feel cramped. used to have a closed bow inboard mastercraft
and there is no comparison on room. i love my moomba.
we mostly tube,kneeboard and do some wakeboarding and cruising around.
advise--get fuel injected engine-ease of starting, ive had to get rid of a 9 month
old new boat because it would not start for my wife as i launched,had to swim after her.
tower= less boards in boat.
wake plate=can change shape of wake and make cruising more comfortable.

feel free to ask any question's

stacy

ps, follow ed's advise and come to the florida jamboree

Wolf-
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Ed G

how soon are you buying?

Saturday April 22, 2006 we will have the 2nd Supra/Moomba Owners Jamboree in Clermont , Fl.

You can take a ride in various Moomba & Supra models before deciding.

Clermont is 20 minutes from Disney. Make a family vacation out of buying a Moomba.

We are the boaters who like to get together and have fun!

We can start riding up here (Georgia) around end of April with wet suits.
I'd like to have the break in done before then, which I can do during the week cruising a couple of days, get a feel for the craft.

The salesman is out of town this week, getting his 50'+ delivery certification?
Then wife is gone weekend following, and then I'm out of town (actually in Tampa) through middle of March. So middle of March would be first time I could get the wife out for a test drive with me.

I'm around $36k for V with 325, Bimini, Covers, Performance Package, and Tower.

I guess another question I have come up with is concerning trailer brakes that I didn't ask the dealer. Are the brakes hydraulic surge or standard electric trailer brakes?

Regarding the get together, toss me a link to the details, might be interested, either as a new owner, or as a soon to be new owner. :p

Originally posted by moombadaze

ive had to get rid of a 9 month
old new boat because it would not start for my wife as i launched,had to swim after her.
tower= less boards in boat.
wake plate=can change shape of wake and make cruising more comfortable.

Thanks Stacy. I can commiserate with you on the engine problems. I've been using my father-in-laws 88 bayliner. Every spring, have to replace the points and retune the carb. Thats a day in and of itself. Put a nice new Monster Tower on it last April. Took it out, on the water less than 30 minutes, and the engine decided to retire. Spent the summer pulling the engine out, reboring and rebuilding it, managed to get done for a trip to Lake Martin, AL. in late August. Sept school started so the kid's schedules flled up quickly. And well, I schemed, hoarded, planned, and waited... The day I see another Bayliner will be too soon. Lol, actually, make that any I/O. Rear seals, lower units, props dragging low. (btw, anyone need a prop for an 88 bayliner? I own a couple. ):p

I know, new boats have issues sometimes as well, and I'm prepared for that. But, its got to be so much nicer to call and dealer and say "um, its your problem this time".

lowdrag
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm betting that the Outback V will not be AWSA certified. I just went through this recently and looked some of this. According to the list of '06 certified boats the Outback is listed but not the V. In order for it to be certified, you also need the EFI motor, perfect pass, and they have a specific prop listed.

Smrtz
03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I have the 05 outback. I got it crammed with as many extras as I could when I got it. the wake without any extra weight is okay... add a couple of fat sacs or just a few strategically placed friends (also sometimes called fat sacks..lol) and the wake is actually pretty good. 9 people in the boat and the wake is sick!

stang67
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
if you wanna see some pictures of the Outback Wake when weighted pretty well let me know and i can dig some up.

Smrtz
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I wouldnt mind checkin those pics out stang!

J

stang67
03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a bunch of webshots. Heres a link to one of the better picutres. You can check out the other ones too.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/547819389/2211293930084765933qQAxkO

http://community.webshots.com/photo/547819389/2950749770084765933JKPKwv

Check out the rest of them too